Is the Great Movie Ride next?

Nick Wilde

EVERYONE! THIS JUST IN! They're over-laying GMR into a Frozen attraction! The budget? 3 quarters and some lint! Who else is EXTREMELY excited for this?

Mrs.Toad

I really hope not. And I don't think so. Not yet anyway…

I want it to stay. I love it. If that were to be replaced, not only would a very important, unique ride be removed, but also it is a major anchor that is holding together the 1930's/1940's Old Hollywood theme.

They start playing around with that…there will be bigger problems than just removing a beloved attraction. Only the store facades leading down to it will support the Old Hollywood theme, the Derby, and the not so favorite H & V eatery. Sid Cahuenga's is gone now too, and that was a big issue for me, because I did buy collectibles there and it was a nice starting point to get into the old Hollywood theme, and then make it down the streets to take in the atmosphere and then hit the GMR.

Now how to refurb it? Truthfully, I have no ideas. I would like more scenes and to stick with 30's and 40's movies, but I don't see that happening either.

But Graumann's is such an historic place and symbols of the Golden Age, and celebrities did do the cement print thing, and if that went, I think it would be a big blow to the park's identity. And I seriously doubt it would be replaced with something from that era as an attraction. I think it could potentially be a noncohesive mess. What could possibly be integrated? Some feel more could be done to add or retain the old Hollywood feel, subtracting would only worsen it. Ex: Sid's.

Last edited:

Billq

I think it will be updated for sure. I don't know when - maybe in the next 15 years or so?

Though, I don't like the idea of placing "newer/modern" movies in the theme. I think they should keep the Old Hollywood feel and still show older movies for the sake of consistency and nostalgia. It fits in more with Hollywood Studios as a whole.

When you ride it, it definitely feels archaic and in need of renovation, so I do hope they update the ride at some point. But I'd hate to see it replaced. It's a good ride, in my opinion. Just needs some care.

I agree with you, I have always enjoyed GMR, but it definitely need a major refurb. I also think they need to use more modern movies, Hollywood studios isn't just about old movies- it's about movies - all of them

Billq

In regards to GMR, back in 1999 when I was there when you entered the western scene, during the gunfight the bldg. to your left exploded in flames, why did Disney stop this, did it malfunction or did someone get hurt , just curious

Mike S

In regards to GMR, back in 1999 when I was there when you entered the western scene, during the gunfight the bldg. to your left exploded in flames, why did Disney stop this, did it malfunction or did someone get hurt , just curious
They still do it but I think it's rare. I got the western scene within the last year, give or take.

Billq

They still do it but I think it's rare. I got the western scene within the last year, give or take.

I was there earlier this month and in Sept last year and neither time did it explode, I just thought someone got hurt. I remember in 99, the heat was so intense from it that I could feel the hairs on my left arm burn.

Oriolesmagic

I got the Western scene a few weeks ago. I was shocked honestly. We were slowly rolling past the Gangster Scene and I was wondering if there was some malfunction or if they were just somehow skipping the "takeover" entirely!

I hadn't gotten the scene in years before this instance!

Voxel

President of Progress City
On the Backlot Tour they have a large working wardrobe dept still in use and you can see into a couple workshops, but I have never seen anyone in there
People will work in the Workshops. Last time through in Dec they were working on some floats.

YodaMan

I got the Western scene a few weeks ago. I was shocked honestly. We were slowly rolling past the Gangster Scene and I was wondering if there was some malfunction or if they were just somehow skipping the "takeover" entirely!

I hadn't gotten the scene in years before this instance!

It's usually just a matter of capacity and staffing. If crowds are minimal (as is usually the case), they often just run one vehicle per group instead of two. When that's the case, the vehicle usually (and possibly only) stops for the gangster. If they are running two vehicles, then one stops for the bandit and one stops for the gangster. So I don't think it has anything to do with them "not running it" anymore, but whether or not the crowds are large enough.

BrianLo

In a rare move for a 'what if' thread, we have an actual answer (in under week no less!).

"Is the Great Movie Ride Next?" No, the Backlot Tour is.

But perhaps its day will too come sooner than later. After all, I'm sure TDO was awfully uncomfortable running a park with 6 rides, 4 seems a more manageable number.

Bairstow

It's usually just a matter of capacity and staffing. If crowds are minimal (as is usually the case), they often just run one vehicle per group instead of two. When that's the case, the vehicle usually (and possibly only) stops for the gangster. If they are running two vehicles, then one stops for the bandit and one stops for the gangster. So I don't think it has anything to do with them "not running it" anymore, but whether or not the crowds are large enough.

It's the saddest feeling in the world when they're running only a single vehicle and you roll into the final theater room to find the other vehicle already sitting there, still and empty.

Mike S

It's the saddest feeling in the world when they're running only a single vehicle and you roll into the final theater room to find the other vehicle already sitting there, still and empty.
Last time I saw it it wasn't empty. A CM was in the front relaxing lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom