Is the Great Movie Ride next?

DisneyGentleman

On the Backlot Tour they have a large working wardrobe dept still in use and you can see into a couple workshops, but I have never seen anyone in there
I've never seen much action in the workshops, and only a few folks working in the wardrobe department.

So I'd call it a large warehouse and large closet with a few folks milling about. Hardly worth it.

Stevek

Thematically, it's a fantastic ride and fits the parks original purpose to a T. I've only ridden it twice and like others have said, it really just needs 2 things. 1) Some TLC and updating to make it a bit more relevant. The Alien scene could easily be swapped out for Guardians or perhaps even Star Wars. 2) Restore it to it's prominence by removing the hat. But don't get rid of it, even if you are going completely lose the overall movie making theme of the park.

Tony Perkis

Thematically, it's a fantastic ride and fits the parks original purpose to a T. I've only ridden it twice and like others have said, it really just needs 2 things. 1) Some TLC and updating to make it a bit more relevant. The Alien scene could easily be swapped out for Guardians or perhaps even Star Wars. 2) Restore it to it's prominence by removing the hat. But don't get rid of it, even if you are going completely lose the overall movie making theme of the park.
Of all the properties to lose, Alien should be very low on that list.

Stevek

Of all the properties to lose, Alien should be very low on that list.
Could be...was just swapping out one Sci Fi for another. My guess is that there are other properties that would resonate much better with today's visitors than Alien. I could totally be wrong which is ok, just my opinion.

Mike S

Could be...was just swapping out one Sci Fi for another. My guess is that there are other properties that would resonate much better with today's visitors than Alien. I could totally be wrong which is ok, just my opinion.
Others may be more familiar with some people but they wouldn't have the impact that Alien did when it came out. I've said before that Alien is basically the Sci-Fi version of Jaws in terms of impact. It deserves to stay.

DisUniversal

Others may be more familiar with some people but they wouldn't have the impact that Alien did when it came out. I've said before that Alien is basically the Sci-Fi version of Jaws in terms of impact. It deserves to stay.
Jaws was replaced with something superior. No reason to think the same isn't possible for Alien.

DisUniversal

I wasn't talking about theme park presence. I meant the movies themselves. Alien definitely deserves a spot in The Great Movie Ride based on its cultural impact.
I know. Just saying that attractions based on either (or any) movie are replaceable. Just because Alien can be labeled as the sci-fi equivalent of Jaws doesn't mean it holds a sacred position in an outdated theme park attraction. It can be replaced with something just as relevant that more people can relate to as well.

Alien doesn't deserve its spot in TGMR any more or less than Jaws deserved its spot at USF.

ULPO46

At this point in time with all the new updates being made through out the WDWR, I think no one in burbank has a mind set to refurbish the GMR.

BrerJon

I should hope with the closing if BLT this has saved it for awhile at least? There isn't going to be much left otherwise!!

We've had five closures in the last five weeks, I can't see even Disney having the nuts to go for six, or a lucky seven, in such a short space of time.

With the Osborne Lights about to kick off and Food & Wine/Candlelight season in full swing down the road at Epcot, I don't think they'll be cutting any more capacity now that they've done their tax year budget cuts.

After Christmas though... my guess is the end of March will be when the next round of axe swinging happens, and that'll be when LMA and GMR get the axe.

Mike S

We've had five closures in the last five weeks, I can't see even Disney having the nuts to go for six, or a lucky seven, in such a short space of time.

With the Osborne Lights about to kick off and Food & Wine/Candlelight season in full swing down the road at Epcot, I don't think they'll be cutting any more capacity now that they've done their tax year budget cuts.

After Christmas though... my guess is the end of March will be when the next round of axe swinging happens, and that'll be when LMA and GMR get the axe.
Sure hope you're wrong and GMR stays :(

Stevek

Do you think that Alien had a larger impact than Star Wars? If so, we can agree to disagree. Now assuming their is a Star Wars Land on the horizon, not sure you need more Star Wars. And to be honest, I was just using Alien as an example...I'm sure there are multiple scenes that could be replaced or updated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom