Is the Great Movie Ride next?

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
So the rumors concerning a Frozen overlay on Maelstrom turned out to be true. Alas.

There have also been rumors about the Great Movie Ride in DHS being replaced.

Just how strong and credible are those rumors? Anyone know?

FigmentsFangirl

The Great Movie Ride is a Imagineering original from Glendale, initally from what I recall, Walt had a say in the design of a walk through that took guests to see how movies were made, GMR was the result and they buil the park around it. What would they replace it with ?

SoccerMickey

I'm pretty sure that we will see a Great Movie Ride replacement at some point. Definitely not tomorrow but probably in most of our lifetimes. It takes up a lot of real estate, expensive to maintain and staff, and terribly outdated. If updating with more current or well-known films of today, I feel they would have done that by now. After all, it's been around for 25 years.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The Great Movie Ride is a Imagineering original from Glendale, initally from what I recall, Walt had a say in the design of a walk through that took guests to see how movies were made, GMR was the result and they buil the park around it. What would they replace it with ?

Frozen, what else since that seems to be the flavor of the month. Personally, I'd love to see a makeover and either write a better script for the "actors" or dump that part altogether.

TP2000

Huh? Walt died in 1966. DHS opened in 1989, 23 years later.

I've read every book on Imagineering and Walt Disney that's been published. Never have I heard about a 1960's concept Walt had for Disneyland or his Burbank Studios that included a walk-thru attraction that took guests through how movies were made. There's not really any evidence that Walt had any input into the Magic Kingdom Park as it opened in late 1971, five years after his death, much less a movie attraction at a third park at WDW twenty three years after his death.

Where did you get the information that Walt had anything to do with the Great Movie Ride??? :confused:

Last edited:

FigmentsFangirl

Huh? Walt died in 1966. DHS opened in 1989, 23 years later.

I've read every book on Imagineering and Walt Disney that's been published. Never have I heard about a 1960's concept Walt had for Disneyland or his Burbank Studios that included a walk-thru attraction that took guests through how movies were made. There's not really any evidence that Walt had any input into the Magic Kingdom Park as it opened in late 1971, five years after his death, much less a movie attraction at a third park at WDW twenty three years after his death.

Where did you get the information that Walt had anything to do with the Great Movie Ride??? :confused:
Herbert Ryman {I think I spelled his last name right} and some of the guys in charge of designing DHS, then called Disney-MGM Studios. They made GMR off the start originally as a walk through before it becamee the ride it is today. there are segments of it, I admit, that need severe updating. {Believe you me, the alien bit is severely outdated at this point They need to update that with something more to the times.}

Macca250

...either write a better script for the "actors" or dump that part altogether.
Although I love the ride, its in dire need of a refresh. I think if they were to completely reimagine it, then I think ditching the actors would be a welcome change. Whilst using live actors was fresh and innovative in the 80s/90s, I think it comes off far too scripted and forced these days, even with a new script I'm not sure they could pull it off. And if the 'moving theatre' concept is getting ditched, then maybe an Omnimover system would be another welcome addition? - adds the option for smaller show scenes too. This ride has had its day, now put it out of its misery.

Pocahontas

I think it will be updated for sure. I don't know when - maybe in the next 15 years or so?

Though, I don't like the idea of placing "newer/modern" movies in the theme. I think they should keep the Old Hollywood feel and still show older movies for the sake of consistency and nostalgia. It fits in more with Hollywood Studios as a whole.

When you ride it, it definitely feels archaic and in need of renovation, so I do hope they update the ride at some point. But I'd hate to see it replaced. It's a good ride, in my opinion. Just needs some care.

Marc Gil

I hate when people say it's outdated.

How is GMR outdated? Please enlighten me?

Sure it's 25 years old, but POTC is almost 50 years old and nobody is complaining.

Classic Films are timeless; how can it be outdated?

Mary Poppins, Singin' in the Rain, Wizard of Oz, Casablanca outdated? I should say not.

The only scene I can think of that's sort of stale is the Tarzan scene, but that can be overlooked.

GiveMeTheMusic

Sure it's 25 years old, but POTC is almost 50 years old and nobody is complaining.

Mary Poppins, Singin' in the Rain, Wizard of Oz, Casablanca outdated? I should say not.

The only scene I can think of that's sort of stale is the Tarzan scene, but that can be overlooked.

It's outdated because the AAs look TERRIBLE. Mary Poppins' face is like, contorted.

It needs an overhaul badly, and I can't imagine that's going to happen any time in the near future with current leadership. I'm sure most TDO/WDPR execs don't know it's still there.

Marc Gil

It's outdated because the AAs look TERRIBLE. Mary Poppins' face is like, contorted.

It needs an overhaul badly, and I can't imagine that's going to happen any time in the near future with current leadership. I'm sure most TDO/WDPR execs don't know it's still there.
Well sure it could need some sprucing up, but it isn't outdated by any means.

The effects, when operating correctly, still hold up after 25 years. I actually think that GMR has held up quite nicely, due to the fact that it hasn't had a refurb in several years.

216bruce

I agree for the most part, but sadly I really think most folks have no clue as to who James Cagney is, maybe even Gene Kelly. Certainly not Busby Berkeley or Johnny Weissmuller. Maybe just change out a few scenes to make more of an impact. I always thought there NEEDS to be a Chaplin scene in this. Maybe open with that and replace Busby Berkeley's all non-dancing stack o' gals. Maybe change out Cagney (who I love) with something from "The Godfather". I don't know what you do with Tarzan, but the present swinging mannequin is embarrassing. The four you mention as classics- perfect as is, but if you have better AA's, feel free to update. Oh yeah, Star Wars in for Alien. Really no excuse on that one now.
I realize that "rights" may be why things are , or are not , as is. But in a prefect world Chaplin needs to be there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom