Is the Great Movie Ride next?

Launchpad McQuack

Just an idea here, so don't hate me...

What if they keep the ride experience mostly the same, with the same facade and everything, but played up the "walk of fame"/stars aspect? Instead of doing big movie scenes, focus on iconic roles by big movie stars throughout the decades. Almost make it a moving "hall of presidents" and fit more individual actors in smaller sets/backdrops who narrate you through the ride, as opposed to the CM?

I don't know. I haven't thought it all the way through. I'm just trying to think of ways to "update" it.

elchippo

We've had five closures in the last five weeks, I can't see even Disney having the nuts to go for six, or a lucky seven, in such a short space of time.

Just keeping track, for my own benefit....the 5 closures you speak of have been:
-American Idol Experience
-EPCOT WS entertainment
-AFI Showcase
-Maelstrom
-Backlot Tour

Did I miss anything?

BrerJon

Just keeping track, for my own benefit....the 5 closures you speak of have been:
-American Idol Experience
-EPCOT WS entertainment
-AFI Showcase
-Maelstrom
-Backlot Tour

Did I miss anything?

Nope that's pretty much it. Harmony Barber Shop has closed for a suspiciously long refurb, but most people are confident that will be back, so it's only five definite things that we'll never see again.

MagicHappens1971

Well due to the marvel deal it would never be possible to put marvel in, but Guardians of the Galaxy is still a marvel film and they would have to be careful. Its too risky for disney.

Amyleigh

The Great Movie Ride was the only ride both of my kids wanted to ride twice. They are 6 and 14 so finding something they both liked was tough.

Mike S

How much would it realistically cost to buy out that Universal deal?

10 million? More? Disney must see that having a Pixarland, a Marvel land, and a Star Wars land in Disney's Hollywood Studios would KILL
Billions. Much more than Disney would want to pay. Universal holds the cards here and they could ask whatever they want.

Mike S

In fact, not only does it sound high, it sounds ridiculous.

Disney BOUGHT MARVEL for 4 billion. So, no way it costs anywhere close to billions.
With the huge success of the Marvel movies Universal is pretty much getting free advertising and no way would they give that up for cheap. If the price was really only $10 million or so to buy out the contract do you really think Disney wouldn't have already done it by now? Obviously the price is way too high for Disney's liking.

WeLComeHomE OKW

With the huge success of the Marvel movies Universal is pretty much getting free advertising and no way would they give that up for cheap. If the price was only $10 million or so to buy out the contract do you really think Disney wouldn't have already done it by now? Obviously the price is too high for Disney's liking.
Don't under-estimate Disney's ability to sit back and collect money>

I think it's more about them making money off of Universal and not having to make any more investments.

What do you think they would rather do? Spend 10 million to stop making money and then have to invest another couple hundred million into attractions and marketing? Or sit back and collect money from their most direct competitor?

misterID

If I got it right, Guardians Of The Galaxy can be used at DHS/DHA as long as it doesn't use the MARVEL name.
Don't under-estimate Disney's ability to sit back and collect money>

I think it's more about them making money off of Universal and not having to make any more investments.

What do you think they would rather do? Spend 10 million to stop making money and then have to invest another couple hundred million into attractions and marketing? Or sit back and collect money from their most direct competitor?
Let's be clear, Disney and Iger are not losing any sleep with UNI having that contract and not being able to put Marvel in the Florida parks. He acquired MARVEL for films and merch. Theme Parks are way low on the totem pole. If it were ten million, they would have bought out the contract because that is a ridiculously low buyout and no one would pass that up.

MARVEL fits better in UNI anyway, imo.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
In fact, not only does it sound high, it sounds ridiculous.

Disney BOUGHT MARVEL for 4 billion. So, no way it costs anywhere close to billions.

Billions may be to high, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were over the $1 billion mark. It would have to be enough money for Universal to acquire a new IP, re-theme all the rides, and compensate them for any lost revenue while that work is done. At the time Uni signed the deal with Marvel, Marvel was not in great shape, so Uni likely got a very good deal. The value of Marvel has increased astronomically since then to the point where I doubt Uni could find another IP anywhere near as popular for the price they are currently playing for Marvel.

WeLComeHomE OKW

If I got it right, Guardians Of The Galaxy can be used at DHS/DHA as long as it doesn't use the MARVEL name.

Let's be clear, Disney and Iger are not losing any sleep with UNI having that contract and not being able to put Marvel in the Florida parks. He acquired MARVEL for films and merch. Theme Parks are way low on the totem pole. If it were ten million, they would have both it up because that is a ridiculously low buyout and no one would pass that up.

MARVEL fits better in UNI anyway, imo.
Their theme park business is one of the most profitable areas of the company year in and year out.

But, this is why I'm asking. I think if Marvel properties continue to make a billion, they'd be fools not to buy out that contract unless it was over 100 million dollar asking price.

Mike S

Billions may be to high, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were over the $1 billion mark. It would have to be enough money for Universal to acquire a new IP, re-theme all the rides, and compensate them for any lost revenue while that work is done. At the time Uni signed the deal with Marvel, Marvel was not in great shape, so Uni likely got a very good deal. The value of Marvel has increased astronomically since then to the point where I doubt Uni could find another IP anywhere near as popular for the price they are currently playing for Marvel.
Yeah I probably over exaggerated with the plural of "Billions". I could see it being close to $1 Billion though.

misterID

Their theme park business is one of the most profitable areas of the company year in and year out.

But, this is why I'm asking. I think if Marvel properties continue to make a billion, they'd be fools not to buy out that contract unless it was over 100 million dollar asking price.
Yeah, and there's absolutely no reason for Iger to buy out a contract to place MARVEL attractions in his Florida parks, which he probably wouldn't anyway. The ONLY reason he would be tempted to buyout that contract is if it were ridiculously low and he would use the IP only to promote MARVEL properties and push merch in the park, which is better than using a loophole to decorate the monorails with MARVEL film billboards. He has nothing really to gain by a big buyout. He can use MARVEL in Cali, Asia and Paris for attractions. It's all good for Iger.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Yes, but how much increase in theme park revenue could be directly traced to the addition of a Marvel ride? The studio on the other hand is getting a huge part of it's revenue directly from Marvel.

BigTxEars

I agree 100 percent. What is interesting is that all the other animated characters seem to have been lost and forgotten at the world. However, Ariel got her own ride at MK (granted its tragic).

I would love to see Tarzan and Jane, I know they do some M&G from Tarzan at AK but I would like the main man himself. As Jane....oh yes sir I would like a picture with her :cool:

I love Bolt as well and Rhino

adl1xc.jpg

But I am not sure I want giant Bolt and giant Rhino as a M&G :)

But I agree, lots of unused treasure at WDW for M&Gs..

Spencerrr

Tried to get caught up on this thread, but I don't think this has been said.

Firstly I'm pro keeping the ride mostly as it is with some minor changes mostly in the CM's. As a boy when I was 12-13 the ride exposed me to movies I had never seen and later pursued seeing and now Singing in the Rain is still one of my favorite movies. To the day when I go I still force my friends to ride it and when they have complaints its usually about the cheesy acting from the CM's

That being said if they do a major change I think it should be a Disney tribute. It could keep the theme of movies and hollywood by starting with the original movies and showing the evolution of live action, the combination of the too, moving to movies being made on computers. Almost like a Spaceship Earth feel but for just Disney films that had big Hollywood premiers. They could somehow include actors/actress who were in the films and did voice overs, maybe box office numbers or something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom