Hatbox Ghost is Disney World?

OFP-857

When I was at WDW this weekend, I saw a LOT of merchandise at Memento Mori featuring the Hatbox Ghost. On previous visits, there wasn't near this volume. Does this mean we may finally be getting close to him taking his rightful spot across from the bride?

lazyboy97o

When I was at WDW this weekend, I saw a LOT of merchandise at Memento Mori featuring the Hatbox Ghost. On previous visits, there wasn't near this volume. Does this mean we may finally be getting close to him taking his rightful spot across from the bride?
Disney is not that coordinated. Hat Box Ghost merchandise was sold for years at Disneyland before the figure was finally [re]installed.

tl77

WDW's version of Haunted never had the Hatbox Ghost. But regardless of whether it actually had it, that version should get the Man in Web!

9bdw78.jpg

This dude is WDW's closest equivalent to the HBG.

Apparently early on there was some version of this guy on the left side of the original staircase scene with the giant spiders, whether the public ever saw it no one seems to know (or is willing to admit online without any sort of photographic proof because the internet so chock full of proof) ...but the audio of him screaming could be heard through the mid 1980's from the speakers inside the doom buggy, and the Ghost Host's narration in that sequence alludes to his presence. "If you'd like to join us, final arrangements can be made at the end of the tour" ...All the Ghost Host's lines relate to something visual in the ride except for this line.

This concept art thought is very similar to the the hanging man in the stretching room, and they had the same type of "screaming skeleton with giant spiders" scene was in the original version of Snow White's Adventures, which is maybe the reason they took him out of The Haunted Mansion... I don't think it was "too scary", it was probably just "kinda lame"
latest

swaskeleton2.jpg

TP2000

So we are approaching the second anniversary of the Hatbox Ghost arriving at Disneyland. I rode Disneyland's Haunted Mansion last week and the Hatbox Ghost is still there, doing his trickery for every passing Doombuggy.

But what is the status of the WDW version? Two years later, and....?

HMF

So we are approaching the second anniversary of the Hatbox Ghost arriving at Disneyland. I rode Disneyland's Haunted Mansion last week and the Hatbox Ghost is still there, doing his trickery for every passing Doombuggy.

In short, It costs money and requires an attraction closure, two things that to TDO are toxic.

George Lucas on a Bench

Disneyland's is still superior, and not because of the ghost with hatbox.

KrazyKat

Eh, it's all a matter of opinion but I rode Disneyland's version last year and while it was great to see the Hatbox Ghost in person (I do hope they add it to MK) I still prefer the Magic Kingdom version overall. The overall feel including the mansion itself in MK is better. Again personal opinion.

999th Happy Haunt

It's a shame as Epcot has had more "Park Only" Characters than any of the Disney theme parks put together....
epcotcharacters_zpsbd2xhont.jpg
The ghosts, pirates, tiki birds, trader Sam, headhunters, skippers, orange bird, country bears, timekeeper, nine-eye, alien encounter characters, sonny eclipse, and the citizens of Main Street all at magic kingdom beg to differ.

tl77

Disneyland's is still superior, and not because of the ghost with hatbox.
WDW's was very different originally, it was much more psychedelic and loaded with black lights. The difference between the 2 Haunted Mansions was like the difference between DL's Submarine ride and WDW's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea... one was based in reality the other was fantasy, or more being inside the "boundless realm of the supernatural" than an actual house. Today the Florida on has been "downgraded" in my opinion to be more the the DL version, which has less effects than the WDW did originally, but Tokyo Disneyland still has some of the original stuff... like the black lights in some places like the library

this is the WDW Library today
7252190938_3dc73c647c_b.jpg

and this is how it looks in Tokyo with the black-lights, and how it originally looked in WDW
Tokyo-Disneyland-Spring-2013-0327-640x427.jpg

and at 2:55 in this video you can see the green lights, smoke machines and monster fingers that used to be on a few of the doors in WDW

FigmentJedi

Sage of Time, definitely. I am still trying to wipe the Dreamseekers from my memory.
I think the idea behind the characters and their designs were sound, but the execution could have been better and the rhyming grates on people. I still believe that with some slight retooling, you could slip those characters into an Imagination Pavilion reboot as supporting players for Dreamfinder and Figment.
Dreams's real issue was the annoying children voices and an overdose of Disney's favorite buzzwords making the overall effect of the additions into nothing but sugary mush. When they rescripted Nations after the Millennium Celebration and had the Sage and narrator talking about dreams and the power of imagination, it handled it with class. That sense of dignity could have worked with the new fae characters, but they decided to give them a clumsy attempt at copying Dr. Seuss for a script instead.

Cmdr_Crimson

The ghosts, pirates, tiki birds, trader Sam, headhunters, skippers, orange bird, country bears, timekeeper, nine-eye, alien encounter characters, sonny eclipse, and the citizens of Main Street all at magic kingdom beg to differ.

Orange bird, Country Bears, Skippy, S.I.R, and Sonny Eclipse are MK originals

Timekeeper & Nine-Eye is a DLP Original

Ghosts, pirates, tikis, trader sam, Skippers, headhunters and the citizens of Main street are all originals from Disneyland....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom