Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

TP2000

Whose Barry Braverman? He sounds very brave.

He was definitely not brave, at least when it came time to stand up to Paul Pressler.

The genius/fall-guy who was essentially the creative lead on DCA. You'll notice you don't hear his name anymore.

With apologies in advance to @yookeroo, I just spent 8 seconds Googling Barry Braverman and found several of his very public Social Media profiles he reveals to anyone with an Internet connection. His LinkedIn is the most telling, as he is now a self employed "Design Consultant" in Los Angeles, unaffiliated with any design firm, after leaving WDI in 2006. He has a teaching credential from San Francisco State University.

I seem to remember an overall tone of pomposity and "you don't get it" Imagineer-splaining from him in online interviews back around 2000 and 2001 in regards to DCA. I wonder if he gets it now?

britain

He was definitely not brave, at least when it came time to stand up to Paul Pressler.

With apologies in advance to @yookeroo, I just spent 8 seconds Googling Barry Braverman and found several of his very public Social Media profiles he reveals to anyone with an Internet connection. His LinkedIn is the most telling, as he is now a self employed "Design Consultant" in Los Angeles, unaffiliated with any design firm, after leaving WDI in 2006. He has a teaching credential from San Francisco State University.

I seem to remember an overall tone of pomposity and "you don't get it" Imagineer-splaining from him in online interviews back around 2000 and 2001 in regards to DCA. I wonder if he gets it now?

I dislike DCA 1.0 as much as anyone, but I have a hard time kicking a guy who was willing to say, "I'm sure we can make this work" when Eisner and Pressler demanded a second gate built on the cheap. Would someone saying "You're wrong! You can't do it this cheaply!" have been considered more brave? Sure. But that person would simply have been shoved aside until Eisner found someone who would have told him he could have what he was asking for.

I'm not calling Braverman the Gaylen Urso of DCA. But I ask myself, what would I have done, and I probably also would have said, "Put me on it, and let's see what we could pull off." And then it probably would not have been that much.

Curious Constance

With apologies in advance to @yookeroo, I just spent 8 seconds Googling Barry Braverman and found several of his very public Social Media profiles he reveals to anyone with an Internet connection. He has a teaching credential from San Francisco State University.

That's impressive. I've heard that Rice a Roni State University is very prestigious.

Last edited:

TP2000

I dislike DCA 1.0 as much as anyone, but I have a hard time kicking a guy who was willing to say, "I'm sure we can make this work" when Eisner and Pressler demanded a second gate built on the cheap. Would someone saying "You're wrong! You can't do it this cheaply!" have been considered more brave? Sure. But that person would simply have been shoved aside until Eisner found someone who would have told him he could have what he was asking for.

I'm not calling Braverman the Gaylen Urso of DCA. But I ask myself, what would I have done, and I probably also would have said, "Put me on it, and let's see what we could pull off." And then it probably would not have been that much.

And yet Braverman was the Imagineer they chose, because he'd made his career in the 1990's doing stuff on the cheap. They didn't ask Tony Baxter to be in charge of DCA, because they knew Tony's high standards wouldn't jive with their budget. So they asked the guy known for lower standards and doing things on the cheap; Barry Braverman.

And he said yes, and followed through on that plan. He didn't go rogue, and he stuck to the script.

And we all know how that ended for everyone, from Pressler to Cynthia Harriss to Barry Braverman. Buh-bye, kids!

lazyboy97o

And yet Braverman was the Imagineer they chose, because he'd made his career in the 1990's doing stuff on the cheap. They didn't ask Tony Baxter to be in charge of DCA, because they knew Tony's high standards wouldn't jive with their budget. So they asked the guy known for lower standards and doing things on the cheap; Barry Braverman.

And he said yes, and followed through on that plan. He didn't go rogue, and he stuck to the script.

And we all know how that ended for everyone, from Pressler to Cynthia Harriss to Barry Braverman. Buh-bye, kids!
Baxter was hardly rocking the boat for Tomorrowland.

D

Deleted member 107043

I have always said that considering the skimpy budget it was given WDI worked something of a miracle with DCA 1.0. I remember reading a quote from an imagineer that the budget for Paradise Pier was $100 million, which coincidentally is the same number that was being tossed around the internet at the time for what Disney spent on Tony Baxter's Tomorrowland '98 just 3 years earlier.

$100 million, even now, sure seems like a lot of money to spend on brick pavers, one newish ride, a Best Buy trade show, and acres of copper paint. Unlike PP TL98 had very little new infrastructure, not a single new building, and half of the land had been untouched when the "new" TL opened. Even if that $100 million price tag isn't accurate we know that Disney only invested $600 million in the DCA's first phase, so that imagineer's claim can't be off by much.

TP2000

Baxter was hardly rocking the boat for Tomorrowland.

Very good point.

But I imagine Baxter caused a lot of drama behind the scenes over that mess in '98. You would think that disaster would have been the canary in the coal mine just as the bulldozers moved in to start clearing the parking lot for DCA, but apparently not. Pressler would not be deterred, and Braverman obliged him.

lazyboy97o

Very good point.

But I imagine Baxter caused a lot of drama behind the scenes over that mess in '98. You would think that disaster would have been the canary in the coal mine just as the bulldozers moved in to start clearing the parking lot for DCA, but apparently not. Pressler would not be deterred, and Braverman obliged him.
Having heard him speak about it, I got the impression he feels as though he rolled over and definitely does not simply blame others for how the project turned out.

SSG

MiceChat has a new rumor update and they say this is the schedule for all thing GotG:

· May 2nd – The construction walls around Guardians of the Galaxy come down.

· May 8th – Summer of Heroes begins installation in multiple Hollywood Backlot venues.

· May 12th – Pixar Play Parade returns to Disney California Adventure with a new early evening time.

· May 20th – WDI Employee Previews & Disneyland Resort Cast Member Previews at Guardians of the Galaxy

· May 21st & May 22nd – Disneyland Resort Cast Member Previews at Guardians of the Galaxy

· May 23rd & May 24th – Annual Passholder Previews at Guardians of the Galaxy

· May 25th – Evening Press Party for Guardians of the Galaxy & Summer of Heroes

· May 26th – Press Event for Guardians of the Galaxy & Summer of Heroes

· May 27th – Guardians of the Galaxy officially opens for all park guests

http://micechat.com/159148-miceage-disneyland-rumor-update-schedule-struggle/

britain

Alrighty, bring on the Guardians! I don't care for the exterior, but we've beat that to death. I'm looking forward to moving on to the more important aspect: the ride itself! What a shame if it was a gorgeous exterior but an awful ride.

(And yes, I know it should have been great on both the outside and the inside. But it isn't. So I'm ready to move on.)

Travel Junkie

some media had a tour of the ride. some nuggets from the tweets:

-Mission: Breakout will differ from Tower-- will launch straight up and maintain energy and excitement throughout.
-Over 2,200 artifacts drawn from all areas of Marvel Universe will be on display inside and outside #GotG-- Mission: Breakout at DCA.
-Exterior pipes in #GotG-- Mission: Breakout will pulsate and glow with alien power at night.
-Each trip through #GotG-- Mission: Breakout will be slightly different each time, based on one of six songs and scenarios.
-Six scenarios in #GotG-- Mission:Breakout are entitled Escape, Abilisk Attack, Drax vs Beast, Anti-gravity, Quill vs Orloni, and Drones.
-six scenarios based on six rock classics. Songs are Hit Me with Your Best Shot Give Up the Funk, Born to Be Wild, Free Ride, I Want You Back, and Burning Love.
- Mission: Breakout gift shop is themed to Collector's Warehouse-- where everything must go as every creature escapes.
- Cast members in #GotG-- Mission: Breakout will enlist guests to help Rocket set all the Collector's creatures free.

info taken off twitter feed: https://twitter.com/laughing_place

Eckert

-Mission: Breakout will differ from Tower-- will launch straight up and maintain energy and excitement throughout.
-Over 2,200 artifacts drawn from all areas of Marvel Universe will be on display inside and outside #GotG-- Mission: Breakout at DCA.
-Exterior pipes in #GotG-- Mission: Breakout will pulsate and glow with alien power at night.
-Each trip through #GotG-- Mission: Breakout will be slightly different each time, based on one of six songs and scenarios.
-Six scenarios in #GotG-- Mission:Breakout are entitled Escape, Abilisk Attack, Drax vs Beast, Anti-gravity, Quill vs Orloni, and Drones.
-six scenarios based on six rock classics. Songs are Hit Me with Your Best Shot Give Up the Funk, Born to Be Wild, Free Ride, I Want You Back, and Burning Love.
- Mission: Breakout gift shop is themed to Collector's Warehouse-- where everything must go as every creature escapes.
- Cast members in #GotG-- Mission: Breakout will enlist guests to help Rocket set all the Collector's creatures free.

But...but...the building is ugly!!!11

Kiwiduck

Trying not to get too hopeful about the gift shop which will probably end up selling the same stuff they sell everywhere else before too long, but I'm excited about the rest, especially the pulsating, glowing alien lighting, the multiple scenarios and the music

Disney Analyst

Found on twitter:

C-T0Me5VwAEwmzV.jpg:large

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom