Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

GiveMeTheMusic

Yep, they're going in a completely different direction. Honestly, I'm sick of Disney trying to do backlot areas because they suck at it. The backlot portion of Hollywood Land is pathetic. At this point, it's just an excuse to get IPs that are out of theme into the park.

Really though, this has always been the function of HBL/Hollywood Land. Monsters Inc has nothing to do with California, and neither did the Muppets, Frozen, Aladdin, Mad T Party, etc. The whole land is a slot to shove IP into that wouldn't fit elsewhere and has been since day 1.

I just can't get worked up about the theme integrity of DCA, because it has had very little since it was built. The park itself was built with a complete disregard for everything Disney had learned up to that point from building theme parks, for the most part passing the job off from real Imagineers to second rate cubicle jockeys with no experience. The result was a park that was embarrassing. DCA was embarrassing.

Curious Constance

Really though, this has always been the function of HBL/Hollywood Land. Monsters Inc has nothing to do with California, and neither did the Muppets, Frozen, Aladdin, Mad T Party, etc. The whole land is a slot to shove IP into that wouldn't fit elsewhere and has been since day 1.

I just can't get worked up about the theme integrity of DCA, because it has had very little since it was built. The park itself was built with a complete disregard for everything Disney had learned up to that point from building theme parks, for the most part passing the job off from real Imagineers to second rate cubicle jockeys with no experience. The result was a park that was embarrassing. DCA was embarrassing.
Cubicle jockeys who were raised on cubicle farms!

Californian Elitist

This is true, that corner of the park has always been trash.

DCA has never been a favorite of mine, but for me I guess I see the potential and I want Disney to actually care about their products. There's really so much they can work with for DCA, and to see them not use the rest purges available is disappointing.

Suspirian

I feel like we should just accept Hollywoodland as a mini Hollywood Studios/ Universal rather than Golden Age Hollywood

Cesar R M

2. DHS theme is IP-based lands. Star Wars Land to the left, Muppet Courtyard next, Toy Story Land straight ahead. It makes sense to theme the area to the right as another IP-based land. Otherwise its like having Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland, and instead of Tomorrowland, it is another arm of Main Street. A Marvel/Superhero retheme of TOT and RRC completes the park AND a Guardians attraction actually fits the park.
C3nDCCy.gif

Professortango1

Well, on Day 1 it wasn't that. The area featured Hollywood and Dine, a movie themed cafeteria. Fits. Superstar Limo, a darkride tour through Hollywood. Fits. Muppet Vision 3-D, a Muppet-themed movie studio showing off new technology. Fits. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, a fake taping of a game show. Fits. They weren't great choices, but they did fit the park and land.

Aladdin fit because it was a stage play presented as such. LA has many giant theaters where you can catch plays. Monsters Inc was the first nail in the coffin as this didn't fit the land at all. Then we saw dance parties take over the area due to lack of traffic.

Californian Elitist

Well, on Day 1 it wasn't that. The area featured Hollywood and Dine, a movie themed cafeteria. Fits. Superstar Limo, a darkride tour through Hollywood. Fits. Muppet Vision 3-D, a Muppet-themed movie studio showing off new technology. Fits. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, a fake taping of a game show. Fits. They weren't great choices, but they did fit the park and land.

Aladdin fit because it was a stage play presented as such. LA has many giant theaters where you can catch plays. Monsters Inc was the first nail in the coffin as this didn't fit the land at all. Then we saw dance parties take over the area due to lack of traffic.

I believe their point was Hollywood Land as a whole has always been lackluster.

D

Deleted member 107043

I don't really fault Braverman. The guy did the best he could with an underfunded project while following the directives given by excecutives to produce a new Disney theme park based on contemporary California culture right next to DL, and we all know that it wasn't a coincidence that DCA didn't hit its stride until Disney realized it had to properly fund the place to match the park next door. In short the bargain basement excecution looked good on the balance sheet, but customers didn't buy it, and I don't think you should put all of that on Braverman.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phroobar

Don't forget Lights, Camera, Chaos! - twenty minutes of people running around the stage.

GiveMeTheMusic

I don't really fault Braverman. The guy did the best he could with an underfunded project while following the directives given by excecutives to produce a new Disney theme park based on contemporary California culture right next to DL, and we all know that it wasn't a coincidence that DCA didn't hit its stride until Disney realized it had to properly fund the place to match the park next door. In short the bargain basement excecution looked good on the balance sheet, but customers didn't buy it, and I don't think you should put all of that on Braverman.

I don't put it all on him, but he took the position and should have known he would be the designated fall guy, and he was. Eisner wasn't going to leave because the park (and DCA was Eisner's idea - the California in California thing) failed.

Ismael Flores

Don't forget Lights, Camera, Chaos! - twenty minutes of people running around the stage.
I remember, I saw it once and didn't know what to think. So bad in many levels.
Now we have a huge useless facade with a stage that is rarely use. Instead they keep adding more stages on the walkways for this special events
The destruction of that whole backlot can't come soon enough

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom