Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

nevol

Found on twitter:

C-T0Me5VwAEwmzV.jpg:large

I'm sorry, terrible. They couldn't have put a screen on the ceiling and back walls to make it look like the collectors museum goes on forever? there's like a dozen boxes to look at in the gutted room. Exactly what I was NOT hoping for and why I had serious doubts.

The ride sounds fun, yes, but the execution that we've seen so far doesn't inspire confidence. I imagine the 2,200 artifacts will be shoved in the hallway scenes from Tower. The only place I can imagine them creating an elaborate forced perspective of a vast dangling collectors museum. The rest of the ride has to be delivered through screens or augmented glass, which I am praying for at this point because the executions within the parameters of the show building thus far haven't gone so well.

Last edited:

No Name

I find it quite significant that the ride will begin by shooting up.

If you can recall your younger days, or put yourself in Joe Q's shoes... a big part of riding the Tower of Terror for the first time is the anticipation of not knowing when you're going to drop. While you slowly ascend floor by floor, you're stuck in a state of terror. You're bracing for the drop at all times, since you don't know when it's coming. I think that sets the right mood for the show scenes.

But then after the first drop, as you shoot up and down, it doesn't feel as scary. It feels more thrilling and energetic. At least that's how it was (and is, on a smaller level) for me.

By launching right away and forgoing a similar buildup, I feel like they're heavily changing the tone of the ride. Given the poor situation, I'm glad to see the imagineers taking a risk. It'll surely help differentiate the ride from its former self.

I just wonder if it will make for as good of an attraction.

Cesar R M

Also from another press preview source:

https://www.cnet.com/news/guardians-of-the-galaxy-mission-breakout-disney-adventure-park-california/

So, we learned from here and TPInsider that for those who know nothing of Marvel or GotG, the Collector will also have collected things from Disney. Smart move to head off the complaints that "I don't know anything of GotG so, it had no appeal to me*."

* Except for the classic rock music, one of six self-contained stories, and a thrill ride with great SFX.

why I have the feeling that we will see Stitch in one of these boxes?

nevol

What museums have you visited that were just one giant room?

See above post. If they'd created this in a vacuum, then I would have no problem with it. But when the adaptation from the location in the film isn't executed on, then we have a problem. Star Tours lobby is fantastic. But if that location was meant to look like one from a film, and looked nothing like it, then I'd be saying the same thing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What museums have you visited that were just one giant room?

See above post. If they'd created this in a vacuum, then I would have no problem with it. But when the adaptation from the location in the film isn't executed on, then we have a problem. Star Tours lobby is fantastic. But if that location was meant to look like one from a film, and looked nothing like it, then I'd be saying the same thing.

Reminder from the film that not all rooms were huge:

upload_2017-4-26_18-48-8.png

nevol

It feels like a little room with a dozen boxes in it. This is one moment where you'll see me begging for screens. They NEED to line the ceiling and back walls with screens that make it look as though this collection goes on forever. Right now the room is so small and unimpressive. This look is acceptable in the boiler room but there needs to be a more dramatic entrance than this! We'll all be stepping out of DCA's sunset blvd into THIS?

It is the lobby. yet it looks like a small corner exhibition space at a museum. Small rooms in the film or not, it should be grander. It lacks drama. Theme parks are full of heightened reality. The architecture here isn't dramatic. Argue with me all you want, I'm not going to change my mind. You think its fine, I don't. The world keeps spinning. http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/58288830.jpg Here's the lobby of the Field Museum in Chicago. Don't make me post an image of the atrium of the Guggenheim. All I'm saying is that there should be a grander entrance and a progression through the preshow rooms. In tower of terror, you had the guest lobby, rich with detail and warm lighting. This contrasted with the boiler room that was cool lighting, dark, and built with uncomfortable materials, operational-type machinery. In this case, the lobby and the boiler room are less contrasting than they were before. It isn't wrong to desire that this collection look more like a museum lobby, with a checkin desk perhaps, or a grand museum atrium. It doesn't even make sense that we'd walk directly into a corner collection of a museum right off the street. This is the establishing shot of the collectors museum. We should be introduced to the building program. We walk into a massive show building and the first thing we see is a tiny museum. Playing up the grandiosity of the lobby would further create opposition as the queue progresses... from a wide open space down to the tiny gantry lift. Indy does a good job of this, with low ceiling rooms leading into the vast center of the temple. They could have kept the queue close, occupying the front half of the room as they did with tower, and the ceiling as is, placing the screens and forced perspective techniques further away at the back of the room, to be more convincing. My mind wanders to the Toledo, Spain Cathedral as an example. They have a long tall atrium subdivided into different sections of the church. They could have had a 1-story semi-permeable wall set up, creating an admissions lobby of sorts, with the exhibitions in a more dramatic display beyond. As an architect and entertainment designer, and knowing what technology they have at their disposal, I'm sorry, I am not impressed in the slightest. We'll see how it looks when it opens but based on what I see right now, I am not in the least bit satisfied. http://static.thousandwonders.net/Toledo.Cathedral.original.15498.jpg

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It is the lobby. yet it looks like a small corner exhibition space at a museum. Small rooms in the film or not, it should be grander. It lacks drama. Theme parks are full of heightened reality. The architecture here isn't dramatic. Argue with me all you want, I'm not going to change my mind. You think its fine, I don't. The world keeps spinning. http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/58288830.jpg Here's the lobby of the Field Museum in Chicago. Don't make me post an image of the atrium of the Guggenheim.

Just because some building have huge rooms, doesn't mean they don't have small ones. The Field Museum and the Guggenheim also have small rooms.

If you're not going to change your mind, then that is the very definition of being closed minded.

nevol

Just because some building have huge rooms, doesn't mean they don't have small ones. The Field Museum and the Guggenheim also have small rooms.

If you're not going to change your mind, then that is the very definition of being closed minded.

I've elaborated on my perspective above and I'm not going to argue with you. I'm also not going to respond to the accusation of being close-minded. Accept that I don't like the photograph circulating today, and I'm not going to erase the thousands of thoughts circulating my brain that reinforce that opinion. I am optimistic about the ride experience and know people who've worked on it. I am curious about the post-show hallway being part of the experience, and the post-ride merch shop also being in the story world. This all sounds really cool. I am not close minded (here I am doing what I said I wouldn't do). But I'm not going to lie to you or to myself and tell you that I subjectively like what I am seeing. I am not going to split hairs to justify what I am seeing and sympathize for the design team. Tony Baxter learned the hard way that nobody will say "well, it looks great considering the budget." Either something blows people away or it doesn't, and he learned that when he had Indy's budget for the entire tomorrowland '98 project. The public wasn't sympathetic. Hopefully Joe was smart about the budget and put it all into the ride experience, which is why we aren't seeing a mind-blowing queue. From a show producer's perspective that would be really smart. The alternative is an elaborate facade and queue, but a crap ride.

Also, please never call me a name ever again. We can have rich conversations and uncover anecdotes, reference material, differing opinions and perspectives that go on for pages without calling each other names. What kind of noodle succumbs to peer pressure and changes their mind after 2 brief forum posts?

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I wouldn't say that. I would say close-mindedness is having a narrow opinion or opinions, as well as the unwillingness to dismantle those opinions and attempt to be more open to the other opinion/view. If I didn't think I liked asparagus, then decided to try it one day and found that I still didn't like it, it doesn't make me close-minded. I just don't like asparagus.

D

Deleted member 107043

I thought this was supposed to be a building here on Earth displaying a special collection, not the place we see in the movie.

mickEblu

It feels like a little room with a dozen boxes in it. This is one moment where you'll see me begging for screens. They NEED to line the ceiling and back walls with screens that make it look as though this collection goes on forever. Right now the room is so small and unimpressive. This look is acceptable in the boiler room but there needs to be a more dramatic entrance than this! We'll all be stepping out of DCA's sunset blvd into THIS?

It is the lobby. yet it looks like a small corner exhibition space at a museum. Small rooms in the film or not, it should be grander. It lacks drama. Theme parks are full of heightened reality. The architecture here isn't dramatic. Argue with me all you want, I'm not going to change my mind. You think its fine, I don't. The world keeps spinning. http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/58288830.jpg Here's the lobby of the Field Museum in Chicago. Don't make me post an image of the atrium of the Guggenheim. All I'm saying is that there should be a grander entrance and a progression through the preshow rooms. In tower of terror, you had the guest lobby, rich with detail and warm lighting. This contrasted with the boiler room that was cool lighting, dark, and built with uncomfortable materials, operational-type machinery. In this case, the lobby and the boiler room are less contrasting than they were before. It isn't wrong to desire that this collection look more like a museum lobby, with a checkin desk perhaps, or a grand museum atrium. It doesn't even make sense that we'd walk directly into a corner collection of a museum right off the street. This is the establishing shot of the collectors museum. We should be introduced to the building program. We walk into a massive show building and the first thing we see is a tiny museum. Playing up the grandiosity of the lobby would further create opposition as the queue progresses... from a wide open space down to the tiny gantry lift. Indy does a good job of this, with low ceiling rooms leading into the vast center of the temple. They could have kept the queue close, occupying the front half of the room as they did with tower, and the ceiling as is, placing the screens and forced perspective techniques further away at the back of the room, to be more convincing. My mind wanders to the Toledo, Spain Cathedral as an example. They have a long tall atrium subdivided into different sections of the church. They could have had a 1-story semi-permeable wall set up, creating an admissions lobby of sorts, with the exhibitions in a more dramatic display beyond. As an architect and entertainment designer, and knowing what technology they have at their disposal, I'm sorry, I am not impressed in the slightest. We'll see how it looks when it opens but based on what I see right now, I am not in the least bit satisfied. http://static.thousandwonders.net/Toledo.Cathedral.original.15498.jpg

Great points. This is what happens when something is overlayed hastily into something that was purpose built. I always assumed that they were going to find a way to expand the old lobby somehow. I should have known better.

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I find it quite significant that the ride will begin by shooting up.

If you can recall your younger days, or put yourself in Joe Q's shoes... a big part of riding the Tower of Terror for the first time is the anticipation of not knowing when you're going to drop. While you slowly ascend floor by floor, you're stuck in a state of terror. You're bracing for the drop at all times, since you don't know when it's coming. I think that sets the right mood for the show scenes.

But then after the first drop, as you shoot up and down, it doesn't feel as scary. It feels more thrilling and energetic. At least that's how it was (and is, on a smaller level) for me.

By launching right away and forgoing a similar buildup, I feel like they're heavily changing the tone of the ride. Given the poor situation, I'm glad to see the imagineers taking a risk. It'll surely help differentiate the ride from its former self.

I just wonder if it will make for as good of an attraction.

No build up to drops = shorter ride? DCA ToT was almost painfully short (about 2 min) but the actual drop sequence was just about the right length so you didn't feel fatigued. If Mission: Box Office is even shorter but with more elevator movement I'm not sure how that will feel. It probably doesn't matter since the whole project is one big compromise anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom