GOTG Flying Coaster in EPCOT?

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

Are we gonna talk about how this drawing totally resembles the Carousel of Progress?
As does this...
latest

and this...
image5.png

and this...
Frisbie_s_Pie_Pan.jpg

So????

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
cool idea though seems staff intensive, as each level would need a staff member to verify the harnesses are latched correctly
The key advantage I see is that you no longer need the very complex (and prone to break) seat elevation system. The guest restraints in the load position would be already "reclined" once the coaster gets out onto the track. A local park has the traditional system that periodically makes the news when riders are stuck at the load platform for an hour or two while they try to fix it.

lazyboy97o

The key advantage I see is that you no longer need the very complex (and prone to break) seat elevation system. The guest restraints in the load position would be already "reclined" once the coaster gets out onto the track. A local park has the traditional system that periodically makes the news when riders are stuck at the load platform for an hour or two while they try to fix it.
Disney's patent would still be very complex as it would require very strict locking of the lift mechanism as well as moving floors.

yensidtlaw1969

As does this...
latest

and this...
image5.png

and this...
Frisbie_s_Pie_Pan.jpg

So????
So . . . those are things that happen to be round, whereas the patent drawing accurately represents (down to the ramps, railings, and columns) and the architecture of buildings found in Disney Parks on both coasts who have for years been rumored to be on the chopping block.

It's reasonable enough to suspect that this drawing suggests Disney was, or maybe is, considering replacing one of the Carousel Theaters with this coaster-type attraction.

But thanks for your useful education in round things unrelated to the conversation.

lazyboy97o

So . . . those are things that happen to be round, whereas the patent drawing accurately represents (down to the ramps, railings, and columns) and the architecture of buildings found in Disney Parks on both coasts who have for years been rumored to be on the chopping block.

It's reasonable enough to suspect that this drawing suggests Disney was, or maybe is, considering replacing one of the Carousel Theaters with this coaster-type attraction.

But thanks for your useful education in round things unrelated to the conversation.
You are making a leap only based on something being round. It is a diagram for a patent. It is not going to reference a specific location. It is about a process for achieving a specific goal, not planning and development.

yensidtlaw1969

You are making a leap only based on something being round. It is a diagram for a patent. It is not going to reference a specific location. It is about a process for achieving a specific goal, not planning and development.
I'm not "making a leap" -- Sometimes when being designed for a specific purpose these patents do reference real world locations. It's more than just that the building is round - like I said, look at the ramps, the columns, the railings, the roof overhang -- even that weird back wall off on the right -- and then compare to the Carousel Theaters at either Disneyland or Walt Disney World. They could have drawn a round building however they want, and instead they drew a Disney Patent for a potential Disney ride system looks completely similar to not one but two old and arguably underused buildings in Disney parks. Not to mention that the ride system totally seems to scream Tomorrowland . . .

I know they don't draw patents for production and planning. I'm not saying that we should expect to see walls going up around the Carousel of Progress, but it seemed worth referencing in the conversation. I thought maybe by mentioning it someone with greater knowledge than ours would come in with info one way or the other.

Even if it's not something that's happening, and I don't expect that it is, I didn't think that was so crazy to propose. Especially since rumors have been swirling of change in both Tomorrowlands, It would be interesting to know if perhaps there was genuine consideration being given to the thought within the company.

You're right, it's probably nothing - but it seemed worth discussion.

Just for kicks, here's a photo of Disneyland's Carousel Theater from a similar angle for reference. There's a resemblance, that's all I'm saying:

ge19.jpg

slired.jpg

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

Thanks for educating me on the math of TWDC!

Discoid = Unrelated

Discoid + Columnar + Ramped + Railed = Identical

rd805

Seeing this in any way inside a Disney park would be seriously disappointing in my book. I don't go to Disney to ride junk like this... This is why I go to Six Flags, not Disney. I've been on the Superman ride at Six Flags Great Adventure numerous times and have since given up on the ride. It always has so many issues, the loading is impossibly slow, and the ride is incredibly short. If this does come into Disney parks in some way, it better not replace something with storytelling like UoE.

This is absurd. If Disney is going to do this, you know there will be screens, possibly animatronics, and a great queue experience!

Bocabear

This is absurd. If Disney is going to do this, you know there will be screens, possibly animatronics, and a great queue experience!
I am sure there will be a great queue experience.. The Little Mermaid ride has taught us all that they can produce a queue that is ten times more engaging than the attraction itself. That said, Screens theming and animatronics would definitely happen if they are building it in Tokyo or Shanghai... not necessarily for Orlando...which tends to get the cheaper versions of every attraction despite being the flagship and largest Disney Resort in the world...

rd805

I am sure there will be a great queue experience.. The Little Mermaid ride has taught us all that they can produce a queue that is ten times more engaging than the attraction itself. That said, Screens theming and animatronics would definitely happen if they are building it in Tokyo or Shanghai... not necessarily for Orlando...which tends to get the cheaper versions of every attraction despite being the flagship and largest Disney Resort in the world...

I always appreciate your rebuttals! -- i hope if they are going to develop a roller coaster, that they would not make it a cheap version and really have a GREAT experience. While Hogwarts at IOA is a little intense for younger kids (downright scary at some moments), Disney has so man IP that can be used to for a similar roller coaster/dark ride hybrid to really get fans excited.

Bocabear

I always appreciate your rebuttals! -- i hope if they are going to develop a roller coaster, that they would not make it a cheap version and really have a GREAT experience. While Hogwarts at IOA is a little intense for younger kids (downright scary at some moments), Disney has so man IP that can be used to for a similar roller coaster/dark ride hybrid to really get fans excited.
They do indeed, but placement and ip integration is paramount. Just because you can put a Jake and the Neverland Pirates themed coaster in World Showcase, doesn't mean you should...and that seems to be the problem...EPCOT needs more attractions, but shoehorning ips in doesn't necessarily solve the problem , adding attractions does...and keeping them relevant to the theme of the park makes the overall experience better and more distinct... Distinct experiences at each of the theme parks makes them more memorable...which makes the Walt Disney World Resort stronger and more memorable than a hodge podge of thematically inconsistant attractions spread out over 4 parks.

CastleBound

There's only so much you can do with a ride system like this. Yes, it may have great theming along the ride, but at the speed you are traveling, it wouldn't really matter. When you're on this ride, your head is basically facing downwards the entire time, the seating is very uncomfortable (speaking from experience) and like I said, at least the version at Six Flags is prone to technical difficulties, resulting in you stuck in a hanging position. It's a very uncomfortable experience. It's not really absurd to say you are getting less of on experience on a roller coaster vs a highly themed dark ride.

Take RNRC for example, yes, there are items surrounding you within the ride itself, but nothing to seriously "wow" you. I would never expect an animatronic in something like this. It would be a waste of money, because it would not get it's due respect on such a fast paced thrill ride. I don't think you can put this in the same category as Everest/Big Thunder/Space Mountain because of the ride system. Yes, they both have similar top speeds, but they are very different experiences.

Siren

Original Poster
And Mickey is Rizzo the Rat with manners...
Hi

As for your comment ----> LOL. I may have misstated the technical stuff but I totally stand by the rest.

Disney would never just plop down a plain looking coaster, especially in Epcot where basically everything is housed inside of something.

The first time I went to Epcot, I was under the impression that there was literally nothing there. Initially. LOL.

I can see the old Disney company doing that...but the current Disney company would build a small show scene you pass by for a second, and the rest would be exposed steel and a meet and greet and gift shop...which is where the majority of the money would be spent...
LOL. @Bocabear, this is so cynical. I don't believe this coaster will be exposed like HULK or something. And, Disney will conceal all of this except for the outside air segments.

Also, the picture(s) that @yensidtlaw1969 posted, clearly demonstrate that the show scenes would be substantial in length just like COP.

I'm not "making a leap" -- Sometimes when being designed for a specific purpose these patents do reference real world locations. It's more than just that the building is round - like I said, look at the ramps, the columns, the railings, the roof overhang -- even that weird back wall off on the right -- and then compare to the Carousel Theaters at either Disneyland or Walt Disney World. They could have drawn a round building however they want, and instead they drew a Disney Patent for a potential Disney ride system looks completely similar to not one but two old and arguably underused buildings in Disney parks. Not to mention that the ride system totally seems to scream Tomorrowland . . .

I know they don't draw patents for production and planning. I'm not saying that we should expect to see walls going up around the Carousel of Progress, but it seemed worth referencing in the conversation. I thought maybe by mentioning it someone with greater knowledge than ours would come in with info one way or the other.

Even if it's not something that's happening, and I don't expect that it is, I didn't think that was so crazy to propose. Especially since rumors have been swirling of change in both Tomorrowlands, It would be interesting to know if perhaps there was genuine consideration being given to the thought within the company.

You're right, it's probably nothing - but it seemed worth discussion.

Just for kicks, here's a photo of Disneyland's Carousel Theater from a similar angle for reference. There's a resemblance, that's all I'm saying:

ge19.jpg

slired.jpg
Wow, @yensidtlaw1969! I totally agree! Thanks for pictures. This could totally happen!

I can envision going through this elaborate dark ride portion like Peter Pan or Test Track or something. And, then taking off in flight outside.

This would be such an amazing, ground breaking, state of art attraction and total game changer for Disney and the entire theme park industry.

We know that Disney is investing "Billions" in Epcot. So, we'll see.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Disney would never just plop down a plain looking coaster, especially in Epcot where basically everything is housed inside of something.
Disney has plopped down roller coasters.

LOL. @Bocabear, this is so cynical. I don't believe this coaster will be exposed like HULK or something. And, Disney will conceal all of this except for the outside air segments.
The air segments would be the vast majority of the ride.

Also, the picture(s) that @yensidtlaw1969 posted, clearly demonstrate that the show scenes would be substantial in length just like COP.
Fig. 3 does not illustrate show scenes. Go read the patent. There is nothing about Disney's design that concerns show scenes. You are confusing the Disney patent and the Vekoma prototype.

I can envision going through this elaborate dark ride portion like Peter Pan or Test Track or something. And, then taking off in flight outside.

This would be such an amazing, ground breaking, state of art attraction and total game changer for Disney and the entire theme park industry.
Again, you are confusing the Disney patent and the Vekoma prototype. There also would be nothing game changing about a dark ride - coaster hybrid, it's been done before.

lazyboy97o

Moving floors is easy -- Sheikra does it all the time.
The way B&M moves the floor out for their floorless coasters is not the same type of movement. Even their first flying coasters had a drop floor. Disney's floor would have to drop and move away above guests' heads when Disney has become very restrictive just on props and set dressings being overhead on rides.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom