GOTG Flying Coaster in EPCOT?

RandySavage

'Guardians of the Galaxy' is one of the few major film properties that fits MK's quirky, sci-fi Tomorrowland like a glove (more-so than 'Tron' or even the movie 'Tomorrowland'; much more-so than 'Toy Story', 'Monsters Inc', or 'Wreck-It Ralph').

Because it is such a natural and land-enhancing fit, it has become clear that MK's Tomorrowland will be the last place this management team would consider placing it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The way B&M moves the floor out for their floorless coasters is not the same type of movement. Even their first flying coasters had a drop floor. Disney's floor would have to drop and move away above guests' heads when Disney has become very restrictive just on props and set dressings being overhead on rides.
It really doesn't have to move that much -- it slides back and forth -- and it's 3 moving mechanism for 3 floors instead of 15 for 15 seats. Less complex. Fewer breakdowns.
US20140165868A1-20140619-D00004.png

lazyboy97o

It really doesn't have to move that much -- it slides back and forth -- and it's 3 moving mechanism for 3 floors instead of 15 for 15 seats. Less complex. Fewer breakdowns.
US20140165868A1-20140619-D00004.png
The complexity is not an issue of number (not that a diagram is going to show a true number of cars), it is all in where it is situated. It is a bigger catelever above the heads of riders. It's vastly more complex due to all of the necessary fail-safes to ensure that a vehicle stays in place and a walkway doesn't slam into someone's face.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The complexity is not an issue of number (not that a diagram is going to show a true number of cars), it is all in where it is situated. It is a bigger catelever above the heads of riders. It's vastly more complex due to all of the necessary fail-safes to ensure that a vehicle stays in place and a walkway doesn't slam into someone's face.
Well, I'm sure they'll figure out all those vastly more complex interlocks and things... this won't be the first load system that requires moving platforms and locked-up ride cars.

lazyboy97o

Well, I'm sure they'll figure out all those vastly more complex interlocks and things... this won't be the first load system that requires moving platforms and locked-up ride cars.
No coaster with a moving load platform loads on a lift hill. No coaster with a moving load platform has the platform directly above other riders' heads. Disney is also not actively pursuing this two year old patent so there is not much else to figure out.

HauntedMansionFLA

GotG takes over Ellen's Energy pallivion. What takes over the WOL pallivion ? Disney could build attractions in two different pallivions at the same time and open Them up at the sane time. Roller coaster and a people eating dark ride.

WDWTank

Marni1971, why didn't Disney replace Wonders of Life right after it closed?
Also, where there any shelved replacement concepts/plans?

Bocabear

Hi

As for your comment ----> LOL. I may have misstated the technical stuff but I totally stand by the rest.

Disney would never just plop down a plain looking coaster, especially in Epcot where basically everything is housed inside of something.

The first time I went to Epcot, I was under the impression that there was literally nothing there. Initially. LOL.

LOL. @Bocabear, this is so cynical. I don't believe this coaster will be exposed like HULK or something. And, Disney will conceal all of this except for the outside air segments.

Also, the picture(s) that @yensidtlaw1969 posted, clearly demonstrate that the show scenes would be substantial in length just like COP.

Wow, @yensidtlaw1969! I totally agree! Thanks for pictures. This could totally happen!

I can envision going through this elaborate dark ride portion like Peter Pan or Test Track or something. And, then taking off in flight outside.

This would be such an amazing, ground breaking, state of art attraction and total game changer for Disney and the entire theme park industry.

We know that Disney is investing "Billions" in Epcot. So, we'll see.
I know it is cynical but the last 10 years of Disney decisions have made me feel that wau... I totally get the concept behind Chester and Hester, but they really did just plunk down a rollercoaster...and the theme was not enough to carry the exposed coaster... Old roadside attractions from the 50s and such even had fake rockwork...which could have been used to enclose a show building to make the spinning coaster an amazing ride... The Goofy Flight School in DCA also could and should have been enclosed...original concept of Mulholland Madness had it enclosed as a crazy night ride down Mulholland Drive...which would have been a signature attraction VS a so what crazy mouse coaster... TWDC doesn't always make great decisions...and there are lots of examples of this.... So I have gotten a little cynical. I would LOVE for them to prove me wrong.

Siren

Original Poster
Disney has plopped down roller coasters.
Hi @lazyboy97o!

Disney has never plopped down a plain looking large scale coaster in WDW -- the exception being the Goofy kiddie coaster and the one mouse trap coaster in AK -- both of which, hold some kind of theme.

So, I hope you can forgive me this one time for not being super pedantic. It's totally reassuring to know that I can depend on you [always] to pinpoint the most minute of details.

The air segments would be the vast majority of the ride.
I envision this ride just as @yensidtlaw1969 eloquently described.

slired.jpg

ge19.jpg

OMG. Just imagine flying throughout an immersive and spectacular dark ride setting. And then, zooming outside for a little air time like 7DMT or Test Track except better.

Fig. 3 does not illustrate show scenes. Go read the patent. There is nothing about Disney's design that concerns show scenes. You are confusing the Disney patent and the Vekoma prototype.
It's okay @lazyboy97o - we don't need a patent to observe and speculate and draw possible conclusions based on the data that has been put forth.

Again, you are confusing the Disney patent and the Vekoma prototype. There also would be nothing game changing about a dark ride - coaster hybrid, it's been done before.
There is no flying coaster/dark ride hybrid out there. And, there is only one dark ride coaster hybrid -- 7DMT. So, it would be a total game changer.

lazyboy97o

Next time, we should just write about something stupid, like some random FIREHAWK coaster that has nothing to do with this thread and I am sure we will survive the cut. LOL.
Firehawk is the second Flying Dutchman built by Vekoma. The challenges related to that type of roller coaster are related.

It's okay @lazyboy97o - we don't need a patent to observe and speculate and draw possible conclusions based on the data that has been put forth.
The patent IS the data. It is where the drawings originate.

There is no flying coaster/dark ride hybrid out there. And, there is only one dark ride coaster hybrid -- 7DMT. So, it would be a total game changer.
Again, the flying coaster dark ride is not what is illustrated in Disney's concept patent.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is most definitely not the first and only dark ride coaster hybrid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom