GOTG Flying Coaster in EPCOT?

Siren

Original Poster
Hi @The Empress Lilly! OMG, I get it. Epcot is the Helmut Lang of theme parks or maybe even Calvin Klein.

Wow. Your eloquent description of Epcot is so astute. In retrospect, I didn't get it at first. And, Epcot has always been my least favorite park, for that reason. DHS has since earned that title. LOL.

It is my dream and I totally aspire to be a minimalist. Like, I am so determined to accomplish this. There is a book written by Marie Kondo called "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" -- it's like the master manual on de-cluttering your space and really your life -- there are guidelines right down to how one should specifically fold and hang their garments, right down to the socks. I am a neat freak times 10 -- but she has masterfully taken it to a whole new level

I totally love concept of minimalism -- both, in fashion and in life. I just never expected it to be at a theme park. Like, I finally get this park!

ETA: I don't know. On second thought, fashion wise, I'm probably the opposite of a minimalist. I love my bling and makeup unlike a real minimalist. But, I do appreciate clean and simple lines in design -- classic elegance with a bold statement piece(s) -- jewelry, shoes, bag, etc. And, I don't embrace just one style aesthetic or look either.

Epcot's aesthetic is the embodiment of minimalist design -- stylish yet understated. I also want it to stay this way. It would be so awful to lose this unique, refreshing perspective to an onslaught of ugly, tacky IP's.

Last edited:

Siren

Original Poster
I know it is cynical but the last 10 years of Disney decisions have made me feel that wau... I totally get the concept behind Chester and Hester, but they really did just plunk down a rollercoaster...and the theme was not enough to carry the exposed coaster... Old roadside attractions from the 50s and such even had fake rockwork...which could have been used to enclose a show building to make the spinning coaster an amazing ride... The Goofy Flight School in DCA also could and should have been enclosed...original concept of Mulholland Madness had it enclosed as a crazy night ride down Mulholland Drive...which would have been a signature attraction VS a so what crazy mouse coaster...
Hi @Bocabear! As usual, great comment!

primeval-whirl-02.jpg
primeval-whirl-01.jpg

primeval-whirl-gallery05.jpg

primeval-whirl-gallery00.jpg

primeval-whirl-gallery06.jpg

I looked and I could not find any mouse trap coaster on the planet that looks as nice as Primeval Whirl.

Mouse_Trap_Coaster-17.jpg

This is the nicest one I could find and it still falls way short of Disney's version.

Dino-Rama is odd and doesn't quite mesh with the rest of AK. But, I also feel like some of the criticism is unfair. It could work as the kiddie section of AK, although the height requirement for Primeval Whirl seems to undermine that.

Toy Story Land will serve the exact same purpose. I'm very curious about what the height requirement on the coaster will be. I know you will have fun there, regardless.

TWDC doesn't always make great decisions...and there are lots of examples of this.... So I have gotten a little cynical. I would LOVE for them to prove me wrong.
I totally agree with you that this has been a tough decade for Disney World Parks. But, Disney is taking action to remedy that. I really hope that RoL, Avatarland and Star Wars land will prove you wrong.

If all else fails, there is still lots of potential for Epcot's revamp.

There is no reason, why you can't be excited about Disney right now, while also looking forward to the upcoming lands and attractions.

Last edited:

21stamps

Firehawk is the second Flying Dutchman built by Vekoma. The challenges related to that type of roller coaster are related.

The patent IS the data. It is where the drawings originate.

Again, the flying coaster dark ride is not what is illustrated in Disney's concept patent.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is most definitely not the first and only dark ride coaster hybrid.

Exactly. Also, the reason that height requirements are so high on flying coasters is not because the ride is so scary, there are plenty of arguably equally thrilling coasters at a 48" height req.. the reason is because of the restraints and the design itself.

The patent illustrated on page one is neat, I just don't see it being utilized any time soon.

Maybe something like one of these as opposed to that style of coaster at WDW-

IMG_9207.JPG
IMG_9206.JPG
IMG_9205.JPG

21stamps

What you're saying makes complete sense, but on the flip side of that is that WDW seems to pride itself on being "something for everyone". There are resorts, restaurants, bars, golf courses, etc. that only appeal to (or can be afforded by) certain groups of guests, so I don't see why that can't also apply to some attractions. I would never want to do away with family friendly/"kiddie" attractions (especially because some of those are my all-time favorites, but I don't think having a few "adult"/thrilling areas in the parks would hurt, as long as they didn't compromise the family friendly areas.

I am a huge roller coaster fan. Disney World is different. I could save several thousand dollars and stay at Great Wolf Lodge to "get away" and use a $195 Platinum Season Pass to a Cedar Fair Park for thrills.

I love Cedar Fair, and I am a pass holder. I'm also a WDW pass holder right now..for hugely different reasons. For me, Disney is about the experience, the nostalgia, and the theme...not for thrills. It's tough for kids and the parents once you get into the 52-54" requirements. I think Disney is smart to leave them at 48 as the max. This is the main reason that we have not been to Uni/IoA as a family yet. I think it's safe to say that the majority of families visiting WDW are traveling with children shorter than 52" or 54"...the more requirements that a coaster/attraction has in turn makes it less of a possibility for a family to enjoy the attractions together.

Last edited:

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

OMG, @DisneyGentlemanV2.0 -- I am like so disappointed that your weird post was deleted but mine was, too. Again. Next time, we should just write about something stupid, like some random FIREHAWK coaster that has nothing to do with this thread and I am sure we will survive the cut. LOL.

Anyway, I really appreciate you opening up to me about your feelings and sharing your perspective on Disney and Epcot. I thought it was so deep and intellectual. And, initially super creepy as I was totally taken back by it.

I was so horrified by that awful picture. I was like, why is her face all smashed in like that? I think that one part may be too dark for a Disney forum or something. I think you were going for shock value but it back fired and only detracted by an otherwise -- very strong sentiment.

I Googled that Twilight Zone episode and read the wiki page for it. Seriously, my parents were not even born yet, when that came out.

I would never watch something like that but it was very interesting and it reminds me of Westworld and that Tom Hanks film where he befriended basketballs and such on the island because he was so lonely. I never saw that one either. LOL.

The show ended, with the Captain saying -- that he was "only leaving loneliness behind." I thought that was so compelling.

In today's Kardashian-esque reality TV world -- it is quite rare to see introspective dialogue and writing like that anymore. Just reading about that was a treat for me.

And, what is so ironic about it, is that the episode directly contradicts your perspective toward Disney. It concludes with moving forward and embracing a new world and future. Whereas, you appear somewhat to be clinging to the past, and not even the good past.

If you are going to behold memories like -- try reminiscing only on the good aspects. The original Max was a handsome looking deer.

Your writing is mad genius to me. So, I have to give you major kudos for attributing the causes of your Disney dismay to the appropriate source(s) which is "market forces" -- instead of the usual redundant diatribe that blames rubes and pixie dusters. And, I couldn't agree more.

I wonder if people miss Tom Staggs? The parks were severely neglected under his leadership and then there was Next Gen but he never fully subscribed to the IP synergism machine that we are witnessing today or the constant barrage of upselling everything except air. Staggs had a different style of leadership but I am very optimistic for the future. The new guy was quickly able to get billions greenlighted for WDW parks.

Epcot is still an amazing one of a kind theme park. And, there is always something fascinating and new to be embraced at all of the Disney Parks. So, make the choice to leave loneliness behind and get excited for the future.
A response to this trash only encourages it.
I'm outta this asylum...

Siren

Original Poster
A response to this trash only encourages it.
I'm outta this asylum...
Hi @DisneyGentlemanV2.0! Awww, not you, too. I feel awful. I was just attempting to add some levity to an otherwise highly sensitive topic and I guess I failed miserably. I know that you are highly intelligent and I totally respect your opinion and feelings. You always bring a unique perspective. Should there ever be a next time (hopefully not, though) I will try to be more sensitive to your feelings. AGAIN. And, I will delete my response. I swear I have been getting stung all day today. It's totally time for another long long sabatical.

Siren

Original Poster
jqls45.jpg

slired.jpg

Again, this ride would be perfect for Disney, especially Epcot.

b6t4zk.jpg

This looks just like the patent except the seats are upright, so just imagine the seats tilting down flying through the dark scenes and then going outside for a minute. This would be super fun.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

jqls45.jpg

slired.jpg

b6t4zk.jpg

This looks just like the patent except the seats are upright, so just imagine the seats tilting down flying though the dark scenes and then going outside for a minute. This would be super fun.
The patent is not at all similar to Mack Ride's Inverted Powered Coaster. The patent is about loading in a vertical orientation.

21stamps

jqls45.jpg

slired.jpg

b6t4zk.jpg

This looks just like the patent except the seats are upright, so just imagine the seats tilting down flying through the dark scenes and then going outside for a minute. This would be super fun.

Not the same type of ride at all. What you have pictured there is the same as Mako...and all of Mack's similar rides that came before it.
The restraint system on those also calls for a 54" height requirement. Because of the restraint system.

I was thinking 52" for a moment but confused the 2 that I was thinking of. There's a countdown in my household until kiddo reaches the next level and then what rides are available on the next after that.lol. He measures his height almost daily. One's a B&M- 52" the other a Mack- 54"

The patent is not at all similar to Mack Ride's Inverted Powered Coaster. The patent is about loading in a vertical orientation.

I'm usually on opposite positions as you in threads. But wow, it's nice seeing someone here who knows their roller coasters!

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Not the same type of ride at all. What you have pictured there is the same as Mako...and all of Mack's similar rides that came before it.
The restraint system on those also calls for a 54" height requirement. Because of the restraint system.
None of the images show a B&M Hyper Coaster (Mako). The patents are similar to a B&M Flying Coaster (Manta) and Vekoma's Flying Dutchman / Stingray. Mack did the ride in the photo, Arthur at Europa Park, but its height limit is only 100 cm (39 inches).

Last edited:

21stamps

None of the images show a B&M Hyper Coaster (Mako). The patents are similar to a B&M Flying Coaster (Manta) and Vekoma's Flying Dutchman / Stingray. Mack did the ride in the photo, Arthur at Europa Park, but its height limit is only 100 cm (39 inches).
Here are the 2 coasters I was referring to, both B&M.. I was wrong about Mack, had it confused with another ride...but it's completely different than the one show.
The 3rd coaster is Firehawk. Which is a Vekoma at the same park as the other 2, the second one is similar to Mako

The 1st photo requires 52" the other 2 are 54".

IMG_9216.PNG
IMG_9220.JPG

IMG_9219.JPG

Siren

Original Poster
Oh, yeah. Firehawk is literally a pain in the neck.
Wow, is Firehawk really that awful? That is one ugly looking coaster. Disney would never build anything tacky like that. LOL!

OMG, I know that the patent is about the loading platform. Look past that. Disney can make modifications to it whenever or however they want.

This is exactly what I am talking about.

34qpfe1.jpg

And then, Disney could apply the aesthetic design of the Tron Coaster to conceal the track and beams.

21stamps

Oh, yeah. Diamondback is like Apollo's Chariot's little brother, and Banshee reminded me a lot of Montu. Firehawk is literally a pain in the neck.
I love all of them. Firehawk doesn't hurt me..there's a few wooden roller coasters that do, but nothing an Advil can't fix.

Don't tell me we're defending Primeval Whirl now?

It's in a temporary land thrown together as a quick fix that was designed to be removed in less than a week.

My family enjoyed primeval whirl, my kid's exact words- "This is awesome! It's like a tilt a whirl as a roller coaster!"
Wow, is Firehawk really that awful? That is one ugly looking coaster. Disney would never build anything tacky like that. LOL!

OMG, I know that the patent is about the loading platform. Look past that. Disney can make modifications to it whenever or however they want.

This is exactly what I am talking about.

34qpfe1.jpg

And then, Disney could apply the aesthetic design of the Tron Coaster to conceal the track and beams.

People like different things. Some hate spinning or dropping or any ride that isn't super smooth like the new hybrid coasters. I'm good with any of the above.

It always makes me chuckle when people here bash Cedar Fair parks. They're actually pretty good, super clean, entertaining shows, great coasters, great kiddie park, cute characters, very reasonably priced..and if you're a Disney fan you may know who's running them.

Bocabear

No offence, but kids are likely to enjoy most things.

I enjoy it. But the placement and theming are not DAK quality.
I agree...and I TOTALLY understand the idea they were going for and the design aesthetic of DinoRama...the Route 66 roadside attraction set up in a parking lot... The gift shop is brilliantly themed, the roadside carnival was actually well designed... it's just that it was not the right fit...It was for a temporary increase in capacity but not a long term solution... Had they enclosed the coasters, and added more theming...more like the roadside Dinosaur attractions of days past, ...quirky concrete walk-through dinosaurs, some rockwork suggesting the American West...and a little less graphic billboard cartoon style, it might have been a timeless addition...it certainly would have meshed better into the park...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Disney would never build anything tacky like that. LOL!
Yes, because plastic tarps in Tomorrowland and golf carts selling potato chips in a parking lot are so aesthetically appropriate. Lets not forget the amazingly themed D-Zone at Epcot last year either. That blue table cloth covering a folding table was mind blowing. Im surprised that feat of Imaganeering was not saved for Shanghai.

And before you say, "Disney didnt build those" or "those are not coasters", please realize that current management gets aroused by quick and tacky solutions as they are most often CHEAP, and then they will turn around and charge you $69 per person to experience the magical cheapness and most people will applaud it since it comes with "decadent desserts" . They have been on the slipperiest of slopes lately.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
... Cedar Fair parks. They're actually pretty good, super clean, entertaining shows, great coasters, great kiddie park, cute characters, very reasonably priced..and if you're a Disney fan you may know who's running them.
Until last year, Cedar Fair's a la carte food prices made Disney's food look like a bargain but the WDW suits have figured that out and are rapidly achieving meal price equity. I give CF high marks for their full-day food tickets, though, and their drink wristbands. And CF's premium pass, which gives you parking and access to ALL their parks (Cedar Point, Kings Island, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Great America San Jose, Canada's Wonderland, Sesame Place, and Knott's Berry Farm), is a steal compared to the Disney Premier Passport.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom