GOTG Flying Coaster in EPCOT?

yensidtlaw1969

slired.jpg
Are we gonna talk about how this drawing totally resembles the Carousel of Progress?

wdwgreek

But if more people rode Ellen as it was, then no one would be having this conversation. Plus MS has a green side that is just a movie in a cockpit. Even TT is no different than driving on the highway. The majority of rides in WDW are for everyone already. Soarin' I understand your mom's feelings, because my mother was the same way, lol. But to most it's not a thrill ride either.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love for there to be more dark rides all over WDW, but I'd also like for Disney to do thrill rides, because I don't really like going to other parks like 6 flags.
Oh absolutely, I'm not saying there should not be more thrilling rides, I just hope that the trend doesn't begin to become all coasters all the time. And its also true I don't how intense the ride could be once built and my scruples are based on speculation and emotions. Just airing my general distaste for the roller coaster thrill ride genre at Disney parks.

Jon81uk

Oh absolutely, I'm not saying there should not be more thrilling rides, I just hope that the trend doesn't begin to become all coasters all the time. And its also true I don't how intense the ride could be once built and my scruples are based on speculation and emotions. Just airing my general distaste for the roller coaster thrill ride genre at Disney parks.

Given what we know is being built at the moment, only one of six new rides (Avatar, Star Wars, Toy Story) will be a coaster. So don't think you have too much to worry about.

J. D.

Am I the only person who thinks this wouldn't make sense for Guardians? Flying like this doesn't really fit with any of the characters the way it does someone like Superman. That said, it would make perfect sense for an Iron Man ride on the west coast or a Big Hero Six ride (flying with/on/as Baymax).
Star Lord has rocket boots, but that's about it.

Bairstow

Honestly shocked B&M hadn't thought of this yet, since they are tops in the steel coaster business.

B&M is great, but the firm actually has a long history of resisting change when it comes to innovations in launches , loading stations, and lift hills. They always prioritize reliability and comfort over innovation or breaking records.

Brian Swan

I would argue they already have more then a few Adult/thrilling rides. There should absolutely be a spread of ideas from 1 to 10 intensity, but this design patent looks to be a step up from what are already more intense rides, it certainly looks more intense then let's say Everest, or RNRC. The more intense you go the smaller your market for that ride goes. If the guardians ride using this ride system replaces Ellen, then Future world will have 4 thrilling rides. Aha test track, mission space, Soarin ( I don't think its too thrilling but my mother disagrees) and then this. I think it tilts the balance towards thrill rides too heavy.
I'll give you that MS is a "thrill" ride, but the other two? Soarin is an IMAX film viewed from a ski lift. TT is just boring until you get to the "speed loop" - which is 30mph slower than driving on a highway...

No Name

If we get to a dozen Epcot speculation threads, do we get a prize?

The patent, well it looks kinda neat. Though having the same coaster load on multiple levels seems like an operational headache.

The latter. Possibly.

Shouldn't it also help avoid wasting time loading and unloading? Since one level of FoP will be able to load while the other level is in front of the screens?
Or am I off on that?

Last edited:

roj2323

I'll just leave this here:

I'm not saying that it's for EPCOT; but, Vekoma is who is developing that patent and we know who gets Disney's coaster dollars.

Can't help but point out I mentioned this prototype ride system back in august :

So apparently Vekoma is in the process of assembling a ride prototype and it's interesting because it reminds me of an omnimover / horizons hybrid. The idea here is riders would load with their backs to the track and move sideways. The ride could fairly effectively combine video screens with extreme ride vehicle angle changes, speed and drops while still maintaining a fairly high rider capacity. It would be an interesting concept for a flight through space.

Could we be getting something like this for the Guardians of the galaxy attraction?
cec4ef628b42f00e5ab21b5fb0ed33e6.jpg

More photos and info here (warning you will need to translate it.) http://themepark.nl/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/2354951/15.html

Siren

Original Poster
Name Park Manufacturer Opened Status Ref(s)
Skytrak Granada Studios Skytrak International 1997 Demolished [3]
Komet Encounter Zone Select Contracts 1998 Demolished [4]
Batwing Six Flags America Vekoma 2001 Operating [5]
Galactica Formerly Air Alton Towers Bolliger & Mabillard 2002 Operating [6]
Superman: Ultimate Flight Six Flags Over Georgia Bolliger & Mabillard 2002 Operating [7]
Superman: Ultimate Flight Six Flags Great Adventure Bolliger & Mabillard 2003 Operating [8]
Superman: Ultimate Flight Six Flags Great America Bolliger & Mabillard 2003 Operating [9]
Hexenbesen Erlebniswelt Seilbahnen Thale Wiegand 2003 Operating [10]
Nighthawk Formerly Stealth Carowinds
California's Great America Vekoma
Flying Coaster Genting Theme Park Zamperla 2004 Demolished [13]
Super Flight Playland Zamperla 2004 Operating [14]
Time Warp Canada's Wonderland Zamperla 2004 Operating [15]
Volare Wiener Prater Zamperla 2004 Operating [16]
Trombi Särkänniemi Zamperla 2005 Operating [17]
Tatsu Six Flags Magic Mountain Bolliger & Mabillard 2006 Operating [18]
Crystal Wing Happy Valley Beijing Bolliger & Mabillard 2006 Operating [19]
Firehawk Formerly X-Flight Kings Island
Geauga Lake Vekoma
Manta Sea World Orlando Bolliger & Mabillard 2009 Operating [22]
Stingray Suzhou Giant Wheel Park Vekoma 2009 Operating [23]
Inertia Airplane Car Kaeson Youth Park Zamperla 2010 Operating [24]
Sky Scrapper World Joyland Bolliger & Mabillard 2011 Operating [25]
Soarin' Eagle Formerly Flying Coaster Luna Park, Coney Island
Elitch Gardens Zamperla 2011
Hero Flamingo Land Resort Zamperla 2013 Operating [28]
Acrobat Nagashima Spa Land Bolliger & Mabillard 2015 Operating [29]
Harpy Xishuangbanna Theme Park Bolliger & Mabillard 2015 Operating [30]
The Flying Dinosaur Universal Studios Japan Bolliger & Mabillard 2016 Operating [31]

A different loading platform doesn't excite me. I've been riding these since 2003.

Would impress me more if I was riding this through Pandora.
LOL. This is so silly.

Space Mountain is a basic and ugly mouse trap coaster with great theming.

Tower of Tower is a simple elevator drop ride with impeccable theming.

Splash Mountain is basic log flume with spectacular theming.

Why would this ride be any different?

I'll just leave this here:

I'm not saying that it's for EPCOT; but, Vekoma is who is developing that patent and we know who gets Disney's coaster dollars.
OMG!!! So, this isn't that far fetched.

Hmmm.

Now, when Marni1971 says "Hmmm", does he mean...
1. Hmmm?
2. Hmmm...
3. Hmmm!
4. Hmmm;)
or 5. Hmmm:cautious:

I'll never play poker with the dude. He's in my head.
LOL. I would never play poker or any game with Marni because I would totally lose!

Don't forget when he says "Well." or 'Well Well."

I've spent more company time contemplating these cryptic responses than I'd care to admit.

Like some sort of calculating Bond villain.
(never change, @marni1971.)
LOL. This is too funny.

Kman101

I lol at Martin's cryptic clues too, and others (gotta love when Bolt or Peter corrects us but doesn't actually go into detail until pressed), but sometimes clarity, when available and able to be given out, would be nice and not lead to pages and pages of wasted wondering, guessing, speculation ....

Siren

Original Poster
Are we gonna talk about how this drawing totally resembles the Carousel of Progress?
Hi @yensidtlaw1969! Wow, great catch. So, this could be a state of the art hybrid flying coaster and dark ride like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. That would so beyond amazing and perfect for Epcot. And, a total game changer in the theme park industry!

I really hope Disney does something with this!

Magic Feather

LOL. This is so silly.

Space Mountain is a basic and ugly mouse trap coaster with great theming.

Tower of Tower is a simple elevator drop ride with impeccable theming.

Splash Mountain is basic log flume with spectacular theming.

Why would this ride be any different?
@Siren , As much as I hate to say it, none of those apply. Space mountain is a custom coaster with a very different design then a Mouse trap/ Wild Mouse. No Primeval Whirl on the other hand...

Splash Mountain uses a slightly different system then most flumes along with increase capability and adaptability to where it doesnt only have to be in a set canal.

Lastly, ToT is by no means a well themed drop ride. It uses state of the art trackless technology that moves ot between shafts.

In general, no off the shelf ride at disney has been brilliantly themed (see primeval) In general, do not expect for this to come to fruition anytime soon. I saw one propososed use of it, that seems to be not happening, and even then, aside from the opening and finale scene, it was bare bones.

Wasn't there a flying coaster as part of EPCOT in the project Gemini redesign? It was going to be outside of the Land with a jungle or forest theme I believe.

Close, that was going to be a suspended coaster, like dragons at IoA.

Siren

Original Poster
@Siren , As much as I hate to say it, none of those apply. Space mountain is a custom coaster with a very different design then a Mouse trap/ Wild Mouse. No Primeval Whirl on the other hand...

Splash Mountain uses a slightly different system then most flumes along with increase capability and adaptability to where it doesnt only have to be in a set canal.

Lastly, ToT is by no means a well themed drop ride. It uses state of the art trackless technology that moves ot between shafts.

In general, no off the shelf ride at disney has been brilliantly themed (see primeval) In general, do not expect for this to come to fruition anytime soon. I saw one propososed use of it, that seems to be not happening, and even then, aside from the opening and finale scene, it was bare bones.

Close, that was going to be a suspended coaster, like dragons at IoA.
Hi @Magic Feather! My point is that these rides and coasters would look totally ugly without Disney's intricate theming. And, this new flying coaster is no exception.

There is no reason for anyone to believe that Disney would leave the coaster plain, especially when it is supposed to be themed to GOTG.

I can even see Disney putting this in the ground and then elevating most of the ride above ground or something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom