GOTG Flying Coaster in EPCOT?

Siren

Original Poster
Orlando Business Journal: Disney's Flying Coaster Patent Resurfaces
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2016/11/17/disneys-flying-coaster-patent-resurfaces.html

Nov 17, 2016, 3:08pm EST

jqls45.jpg

Disney is looking at how to improve on the flying coaster technology by making a vertical launch and load area.
slired.jpg

The patent looks how the track can be converted to go vertical form from the start and finish to make the experience logistically easier and better for the rider.
2ch6m2s.png

A vertical loading area could ease the uncomfortable feelings that happens while loading into a flying coaster that can sometimes require guests to lie down. Instead, the patent seeks to make them enter the ride car in a seated position, but on a multi-level surface.

The Walt Disney Co. is quick to patent many of the ideas its Imagineers create, as each has the potential to end up being the next bleeding-edge ride.

That's why many are watching what Disney (NYSE: DIS) has planned for a patent originally filed a few years ago on a vertical load-and-launch roller coaster that resurfaced after being published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in September.

The patent seeks to improve on the existing flying coaster technologies by incorporating a multi-level loading area where the coaster cart is stationed vertically and guests — on different levels — can climb into the coaster car, documents showed.

Theme park fans said Disney's patent is alluding to a new attraction in the works for the Orlando parks. Some believe it could be a new ride for Epcot that may adapt the company's popular intellectual property, like Guardians of the Galaxy. However, take that with a grain of salt until Disney officially announces something.

Either way, here's a snippet from the patent:

The flying roller coaster is a relatively new ride for amusement parks, and ride designers have faced several challenges including how to load and unload the vehicles and then place the passengers/riders in a prone or flying position.

First, the loading and unloading positions can be quite uncomfortable as some existing designs require the passengers to lie down in the vehicle. Second, many flying roller coasters have vehicles with complex actuator assemblies that are used to position the vehicles or seats in a flying position after passenger loading is completed. This increases manufacturing and maintenance costs for these rides. Third, all of the passengers load the vehicles or cars of the coaster train from a single station (or single horizontal platform) — such an arrangement fails to provide any privacy for the vehicle passengers during loading and unloading. For example, each passenger has to share the pre-ride experience with a large number of people (i.e., the entire capacity of the train rather than just those in your family or group that may be entering a car or vehicle to experience a ride).

The Disney patent resolves those issues by building the coaster track vertically with the intention to launch the ride vertically from the start, documents showed. Guests approach the car and just sit down in the seat, instead of current designs that require them to lay down or that pull guests back into a laying down positions, which can be uncomfortable.

"In this manner, the loading and unloading of the vehicles is comfortable for the passengers as they can simply sit down on the seat, lean back against a vertical seat back, and pull down a restraint harness. Also, the loading can be much more private or intimate for those entering each vehicle as each vehicle is provided its own loading platform," said the patent documents.

There are many flying roller coasters around the world, and SeaWorld Orlando's Manta is one operating here in Orlando. In comparison, that coaster has guests load into seats normally and once they are properly restrained the seats it pulls them back and up into a parallel position with the track.

Again, it's worth noting that Disney has yet to announce anything new in play supporting the rumors or that this technology would become a reality. The company has many patents for technologies that are never used.

However, the company also doesn't waste good ideas that could improve the guest experience — like the drone technology that is now being used at Disney Springs as a holiday show.

Only time will tell if Disney moves forward on this tweak to existing flying coaster technologies.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I'd love it if this is true. Manta in sea world is amazing, I this is comparable as a ride and also had great theming it could be pretty amazing. Still not thrilled about Epcot as the location, but there are worse choices. Epcot could use an E ticket rollercoaster and at least it would be tucked to the side and kind of out of the way if its replacing energy still.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Cletus

Name Park Manufacturer Opened Status Ref(s)
Skytrak Granada Studios Skytrak International 1997 Demolished [3]
Komet Encounter Zone Select Contracts 1998 Demolished [4]
Batwing Six Flags America Vekoma 2001 Operating [5]
Galactica Formerly Air Alton Towers Bolliger & Mabillard 2002 Operating [6]
Superman: Ultimate Flight Six Flags Over Georgia Bolliger & Mabillard 2002 Operating [7]
Superman: Ultimate Flight Six Flags Great Adventure Bolliger & Mabillard 2003 Operating [8]
Superman: Ultimate Flight Six Flags Great America Bolliger & Mabillard 2003 Operating [9]
Hexenbesen Erlebniswelt Seilbahnen Thale Wiegand 2003 Operating [10]
Nighthawk Formerly Stealth Carowinds
California's Great America Vekoma
Flying Coaster Genting Theme Park Zamperla 2004 Demolished [13]
Super Flight Playland Zamperla 2004 Operating [14]
Time Warp Canada's Wonderland Zamperla 2004 Operating [15]
Volare Wiener Prater Zamperla 2004 Operating [16]
Trombi Särkänniemi Zamperla 2005 Operating [17]
Tatsu Six Flags Magic Mountain Bolliger & Mabillard 2006 Operating [18]
Crystal Wing Happy Valley Beijing Bolliger & Mabillard 2006 Operating [19]
Firehawk Formerly X-Flight Kings Island
Geauga Lake Vekoma
Manta Sea World Orlando Bolliger & Mabillard 2009 Operating [22]
Stingray Suzhou Giant Wheel Park Vekoma 2009 Operating [23]
Inertia Airplane Car Kaeson Youth Park Zamperla 2010 Operating [24]
Sky Scrapper World Joyland Bolliger & Mabillard 2011 Operating [25]
Soarin' Eagle Formerly Flying Coaster Luna Park, Coney Island
Elitch Gardens Zamperla 2011
Hero Flamingo Land Resort Zamperla 2013 Operating [28]
Acrobat Nagashima Spa Land Bolliger & Mabillard 2015 Operating [29]
Harpy Xishuangbanna Theme Park Bolliger & Mabillard 2015 Operating [30]
The Flying Dinosaur Universal Studios Japan Bolliger & Mabillard 2016 Operating [31]

A different loading platform doesn't excite me. I've been riding these since 2003.

Would impress me more if I was riding this through Pandora.

prfctlyximprct

Superman: Ultimate Flight Six Flags Over Georgia Bolliger & Mabillard 2002 Operating [7]
Superman: Ultimate Flight Six Flags Great Adventure Bolliger & Mabillard 2003 Operating [8]
Superman: Ultimate Flight Six Flags Great America Bolliger & Mabillard 2003 Operating [9]
Geauga Lake Vekoma
The Flying Dinosaur Universal Studios Japan Bolliger & Mabillard 2016 Operating [31]

A different loading platform doesn't excite me. I've been riding these since 2003.

Was gonna say I've been on this ride at six flags great adventure! Old news disney :p

mm121

cool idea though seems staff intensive, as each level would need a staff member to verify the harnesses are latched correctly

lazyboy97o

This is old news that has been discussed in at least a few of the threads related to Guardians of the Galaxy and EPCOT Center. A patent is also not an indication of plans and this loading configuration would be a huge waste of space when better methods of loading exist.

CastleBound

Seeing this in any way inside a Disney park would be seriously disappointing in my book. I don't go to Disney to ride junk like this... This is why I go to Six Flags, not Disney. I've been on the Superman ride at Six Flags Great Adventure numerous times and have since given up on the ride. It always has so many issues, the loading is impossibly slow, and the ride is incredibly short. If this does come into Disney parks in some way, it better not replace something with storytelling like UoE.

Rodan75

Geauga Lake Vekoma

Having been stuck on Manta in the 'flying' position when the coaster was supposed to be in the 'load' position, definitely makes me interested in a new way of loading on these coasters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom