Fast & Furious to Replace Disaster

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
For_what_purpose.jpg

One can dream....right?

Bairstow

One can dream....right?

Ok, that would be a good swerve.

Seriously, though, does Fallon have a broad enough appeal to justify a theme park attraction?
I don't want to sound like one of those people who said, "Harry Potter?! Who cares about those old books?!" but I'm really at a loss as to how this is a good idea.

GLaDOS

Seriously, though, does Fallon have a broad enough appeal to justify a theme park attraction?

I don't disagree, I think the Fallon ride is a head scratcher, but I understand Comcast's desire to pimp out one of the biggest TV brands out there by making it Tonight Show adjacent. I have no idea if it'll be good or not (leaning towards not), but it is what it is. If nothing else, we should get a cool 30 Rock façade which will improve the thematics of New York

TalkingHead

I'd be surprised if F&F got announced tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the closings of Twister and Disaster were announced. But maybe Universal will announce F&F in vague terms without an opening date? (Where have we seen that before?)

Disaster is a loss. Let's not mince words. The Earthquake -> Disaster transformation was one of the most successful in Orlando park history. If Earthquake was operating today, its earnestness and script would be as outdated as the Backlot Tour was when it closed. Casting Walken and giving Earthquake a quirky sense of humor was very smart.

Wasn't Disaster also the first attraction to use the Musion effect when it opened in 2008?

And I still consider the actual Earthquake show scene to be a masterpiece of theme park design. It has two highlights that are, unfortunately, the kinds of effects that we aren't likely to see in the parks again: the collapsing road overhead with the sliding tanker truck and the runaway subway train that comes out of the opposite tunnel.

It'll be missed, but it's a fair sacrifice as long as the F&F replacement is really good.

GLaDOS

I'd be surprised if F&F got announced tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the closings of Twister and Disaster were announced. But maybe Universal will announce F&F in vague terms without an opening date? (Where have we seen that before?)

Disaster is a loss. Let's not mince words. The Earthquake -> Disaster transformation was one of the most successful in Orlando park history. If Earthquake was operating today, its earnestness and script would be as outdated as the Backlot Tour was when it closed. Casting Walken and giving Earthquake a quirky sense of humor was very smart.

Wasn't Disaster also the first attraction to use the Musion effect when it opened in 2008?

And I still consider the actual Earthquake show scene to be a masterpiece of theme park design. It has two highlights that are, unfortunately, the kinds of effects that we aren't likely to see in the parks again: the collapsing road overhead with the sliding tanker truck and the runaway subway train that comes out of the opposite tunnel.

It'll be missed, but it's a fair sacrifice as long as the F&F replacement is really good.

Agreed all around. The tanker truck and the derailed subway are legit wow moments. It's a shame the ride system wasn't neglected during the change over or we might not be having this discussion.

And yes, Disaster was a proof of concept for Musion.

Bairstow

I'm kind of surprised they would take Disaster offline this early too, unless it's just not drawing numbers anymore.

If they really want to add a Fast and Furious ride, why not build out one of the northern expansion pads instead of losing another attraction?

GLaDOS

I'm kind of surprised they would take Disaster offline this early too, unless it's just not drawing numbers anymore.?

Not sure what you mean by early. Lots of work to do.

If they really want to add a Fast and Furious ride, why not build out one of the northern expansion pads instead of losing another attraction?

That pad has its own set of challenges. 2 HHN houses are there, and losing them would honestly be more of a problem to the resort than losing Disaster, at this point.

Besides, as I said, Disaster requires a ton of money either way. They made the decision to replace instead of refurb.

JT3000

Beetlejuice is being moved to the Fear Factor Theater and all of S.F. is being razed. Questions about the waterfront buildings (Richter's and Lombard's) fate remain though. Safe money on it NOT being S.F. when they are done.

What even...? Go home, Universal, you're drunk. :facepalm:

Also, once they removed Earthquake, was there really any good reason for them to keep this area of the park themed after San Francisco? It's one of the nicer-looking areas of an extremely ugly park...

And apparently they aren't the only ones.

That pad has its own set of challenges. 2 HHN houses are there, and losing them would honestly be more of a problem to the resort than losing Disaster, at this point.

The Sprung tents are portable.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom