Fast & Furious to Replace Disaster

Disneyhead'71

Original Poster
To be fair, the tweaks they did in Hollywood seems to have really helped that attraction. It is still full of cheesy acting and rediculous action, but isn't that F&F's MO. I'm not a big fan of the franchise. I watched about half of the first one and about 20 mins. of 6. Not really my cup o' tea. But obviously some people like it.

Mukta

I love Disaster! I think the movie they show at the end is hilarious. I hope it stays open for another 6 weeks or so at least.

Universal makes great attractions, but so many of them are clones. I want to see different attractions when I visit the different parks.

JT3000

I'll be up front with the fact that I dislike the whole idea of F&F as a theme park attraction. Their attempt in Hollywood is enough evidence for me that it just won't work. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Why Disaster though? Yeah, it's not a great attraction, but considering it's basically just an overlay of Earthquake, I consider it one of the park's last remaining original attractions, in addition to being one of the last remaining spieling attractions, as well as one of the last remaining USF attractions that not only focuses on production, but seamlessly incorporates it into the ride's plot. Closing Disaster would leave a hole in the park's offerings the same way closing Jaws did. We continue to lose variety, presumably for another screen bonanza.

And if that weren't enough reason to have reservations about this, the F&F series takes place mainly in LA, not San Fran, which means it's yet another thematic shoehorn job. I'm also concerned about how large they can even make this ride without also removing Beetlejuice, which I haven't heard anything about. So yeah... consider me skeptical.

Jrn14

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I love Disaster :(

I can't imagine the Fast and the Furious attraction being all that innovative or fun. I hope i'm proven wrong... or I hope they just keep Disaster instead!

Disneyhead'71

Original Poster
I'll be up front with the fact that I dislike the whole idea of F&F as a theme park attraction. Their attempt in Hollywood is enough evidence for me that it just won't work. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Why Disaster though? Yeah, it's not a great attraction, but considering it's basically just an overlay of Earthquake, I consider it one of the park's last remaining original attractions, in addition to being one of the last remaining spieling attractions, as well as one of the last remaining USF attractions that not only focuses on production, but seamlessly incorporates it into the ride's plot. Closing Disaster would leave a hole in the park's offerings the same way closing Jaws did. We continue to lose variety, presumably for another screen bonanza.

And if that weren't enough reason to have reservations about this, the F&F series takes place mainly in LA, not San Fran, which means it's yet another thematic shoehorn job. I'm also concerned about how large they can even make this ride without also removing Beetlejuice, which I haven't heard anything about. So yeah... consider me skeptical.
Beetlejuice is being moved to the Fear Factor Theater and all of S.F. is being razed. Questions about the waterfront buildings (Richter's and Lombard's) fate remain though. Safe money on it NOT being S.F. when they are done.

Bairstow

Have to say I liked F+F the first movie then I haven't watched another. Simple plot, pretty girls, fast cars, not all that deep of a movie but like Sharknado it is what it is and was good at it. LOL.

I'm with you there.
The thing about making a theme park ride themed after the Fast and Furious movies is that these movies have never really had a defined aesthetic or look. What I mean is, besides having Vin Diesel stand around in a white tanktop, is there even anything that defines this series? The cars certainly wouldn't do it; it some movies they're driving riced-out import cars, in others its big American muscle, and in others they're all driving exotics. There's just no consistency other than the neanderthal-level dialogue about "family".

That said, I'm sort of excited about a F&F ride that's different from the California version and its wonky CGI, but only because it raises the possibility of Universal building something actually fast. If I was Universal I'd do something really crazy and give Intamin a couple million dollars to build something that comes close to Formula Rossa's speed. Then have the track hug the terrain and just zig zag all over property, including through backstage areas and access roads. I mean, why not? A bunch of parking lots and loading docks would fit right in with the Fast and Furious aesthetic. For added giggles, have the track run alongside the Hogwarts Express rails for a distance.

And if that weren't enough reason to have reservations about this, the F&F series takes place mainly in LA, not San Fran, which means it's yet another thematic shoehorn job.

The series as a whole has been pretty globe-trotting, on an almost James Bond level. You could set the ride pretty much anywhere in the world... even London.

Also, once they removed Earthquake, was there really any good reason for them to keep this area of the park themed after San Francisco? It's one of the nicer-looking areas of an extremely ugly park, but theoretically they could do anything with it and it still make sense.

danpam1024

Beetlejuice is being moved to the Fear Factor Theater and all of S.F. is being razed. Questions about the waterfront buildings (Richter's and Lombard's) fate remain though. Safe money on it NOT being S.F. when they are done.
even Chez Alcatraz and the Jaws?!?!!? It's actually one of my favorite places to get out of the sun (or rain) and have a frosty beer :(
So technically- the ENTIRE park will be different than it was when it opened- except for E.T. I really hope with the Mario and Hello Kitty additions, E.T. doesn't get the axe.
And what's going where Twister is- I hope with the re-boot of Ghostbusters, they bring that attraction back to life.

GLaDOS

Why Disaster though?

Ride system and its effects require HEAVY funding for a pretty substantial overhaul if Disaster is to stay. They made the decision to tear down and replace it instead. I can't fault them for the decision as long as Orlando's F&F ride is significantly different than Hollywood's

Beetlejuice, which I haven't heard anything about.

Beetlejuice's stadium will close and will move to Fear Factor after HHN

Evolution

even Chez Alcatraz and the Jaws?!?!!? It's actually one of my favorite places to get out of the sun (or rain) and have a frosty beer :(
So technically- the ENTIRE park will be different than it was when it opened- except for E.T. I really hope with the Mario and Hello Kitty additions, E.T. doesn't get the axe.
And what's going where Twister is- I hope with the re-boot of Ghostbusters, they bring that attraction back to life.

A ride featuring Jimmy Fallon.

Evolution

Looking at the Disaster/Beetlejuice/SF plot on Google Maps and there's a lot of room there for them to build a great ride. Whatever it is, I hope it's a lengthy ride that uses more physical sets rather than screens.

Disneyhead'71

Original Poster
Personally, I think there has never been a franchise more suited to a coaster than this one. I would love duel single car (6 passenger) launched coasters launched into a tight cityscape. Here would be the kicker. Each car would have a pivot point in the center in the front and a spring loaded rear end that would allow a "drifting" effect in the curves and snap back straight on the straight stretches. And obviously on board audio synced to the track layout.

Bairstow

A ride featuring Jimmy Fallon.

For_what_purpose.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom