Fast & Furious to Replace Disaster

captainmoch

Aren't the Spiderman/Transformers ride vehicles already capable of doing everything you're thinking of?
The platform has always been used to whisk riders from one movie screen to the next, but theoretically it's capable of quite a bit of speed.

Woah, that's a great video! I've never seen that before, very interesting on how a lot of this ride works. I never realized that the SCOOP-type vehicles could actually go that fast, so I guess that would work great too. A part of me suspects that that's ride system now anyway, because the line "Then, you’ll board specially-designed vehicles for an adrenaline-pumping ride with your favorite stars from the films." in the blog post. Specially-designed makes me assume it's something similar to a SCOOP/Evac.

JT3000

Woah, that's a great video! I've never seen that before, very interesting on how a lot of this ride works. I never realized that the SCOOP-type vehicles could actually go that fast, so I guess that would work great too. A part of me suspects that that's ride system now anyway, because the line "Then, you’ll board specially-designed vehicles for an adrenaline-pumping ride with your favorite stars from the films." in the blog post. Specially-designed makes me assume it's something similar to a SCOOP/Evac.

Doubt it. People already complained about Transformers' similarity to Spider-Man. They can't build yet another of those rides.The way I see it, this is either Universal's answer to Test Track/Radiator Springs or... a terrible idea.

captainmoch

I agree, Test Track is what I would want most, although I still wouldn't mind something similar to Transformers.

Something to consider, though:
- Test Track: Approximately 2.3 acres, not counting the final strip that goes over cast parking.
- Radiator Springs Racers: Show building is approximately 1.6 acres, entire ride with canyon is approximately 5 acres.
- Entire Disaster/Beetlejuice plot: Approximately 3.3 acres.
So, maybe a Test Track style ride could fit?

Evolution

Doubt it. People already complained about Transformers' similarity to Spider-Man. They can't build yet another of those rides.The way I see it, this is either Universal's answer to Test Track/Radiator Springs or... a terrible idea.

I agree. This is the perfect time for Universal to stop using screens and use more physical sets. F&F doesn't really require screens; it's just fast cars and stuff to run into/avoid. There's plenty of room to make an exciting attraction. I've already seen one insider say that there will be screens but I'm hoping it's only for the actors.

Mukta

The F&F ride in Hollywood is part of the tram tour much like Earthquake is. I'm sure there will be some preshow, but I think the overall attraction will be in the same vehicles as Disaster! and the walls will just be screens. When they talk about it being different from the Hollywood version, I think they mean the preshow.

JT3000

The F&F ride in Hollywood is part of the tram tour much like Earthquake is. I'm sure there will be some preshow, but I think the overall attraction will be in the same vehicles as Disaster! and the walls will just be screens. When they talk about it being different from the Hollywood version, I think they mean the preshow.

It's replacing both Disaster and Beetlejuice, so you're more likely to see both buildings completely demolished than any sort of repurposing of Disaster. Besides that, the ride vehicles are supposedly one of the biggest culprits in the attraction's poor aging.

Just to give a rough idea of how much of a difference a single show building in this space would make, and how limiting the Disaster building is by comparison:
Property03_zpsgqqarf37.jpg

(Disaster top/left, BJ down below. Disaster's extended queue in the middle.)

Last edited:

Jon81uk

Would have been cheaper to clone KK360 too and they didnt

Although it is expected that some of the tech used (and maybe some footage re-purposed) will feature in Skull Island at IoA.

I hope the Fast & Furious at USF will be an upgraded version of the Hollywood one, but with Test Track style vehicles instead of backlot trams. In the same way that Skull Island should be an upgraded version of Kong 360.

CWJ99

I wonder what type of ride system this attraction will be using. Based off what I have seen from the Hollywood tram concept the ride doesn't really seem to make much sense or be very exciting. Hopefully this will be something new and innovative though I guess it will be a little qhile before we know for sure.

AmUK

This is going to be the same screen based experience as in Hollywood ... just more fleshed out. Anyone who believes this will be a brand new attraction are dreaming.

Bairstow

Cast member i was speaking too. Although he wasn't an 'in the know' he did suggest because of the timeline, and the way Universal usually works - it will most likely be this way.

I don't find that particularly persuasive, then, especially in light of the way the new Kong attraction appears to be mostly, if not completely different from the one used in California.

AmUK

I don't find that particularly persuasive, then, especially in light of the way the new Kong attraction appears to be mostly, if not completely different from the one used in California.

You're probably wrong again. Whist the King Kong attraction will have new additions, the heart of it will be the 360 attraction at Hollywood.

AmUK

Let's look at the history of Universal attraction - Jaws, Earthquake, original Kong, etc were developed from the tour in Hollywood. Essentially they were the same rides, just fleshed out.

Earthquake for example. The main attraction is the same exact experience as the Hollywood Tour. But it's fleshed out into it's own solo attraction, with some add ons.

I suppose the big clue will come with Kong. If they use the same 360 movie, which i believe they will - then you can bet they will use the same video for Fast furious. Both rides will be fleshed out though.

Disneyhead'71

Original Poster
Let's look at the history of Universal attraction - Jaws, Earthquake, original Kong, etc were developed from the tour in Hollywood. Essentially they were the same rides, just fleshed out.

Earthquake for example. The main attraction is the same exact experience as the Hollywood Tour. But it's fleshed out into it's own solo attraction, with some add ons.

I suppose the big clue will come with Kong. If they use the same 360 movie, which i believe they will - then you can bet they will use the same video for Fast furious. Both rides will be fleshed out though.
The film section of Skull Island will be all new, but very similar to Kong 360.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom