D23 Expo 2015

TP2000

One of the big changes to this D23 Expo is the location of all of these keynote addresses that can generate the most buzz, particularly the Parks & Resorts presentation on Saturday at 3:00 PM. Previously, these keynote addresses had been held in the Convention Center's main Anaheim Arena which is designed to seat 10,000 for basketball but in the format they used for D23 was only seating 5,500 because they effectively cut the arena in half (they must have had one heckuva green room for Jay Rasulo behind the stage!).

Anaheim Convention Center's Anaheim Arena - maxed out seating at D23 Expo 2013
4621.MON_2D00_1.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

This year however they are moving all keynote addresses to a specially built temporary auditorium dubbed "Hall D23" in Exhibit Hall D that will seat 7,500, or 2,000 more people than the Anaheim Arena did. Presentations in this 7,500 seat Hall D23 include the Disney Legends Ceremony, Pixar and Disney Animation presentation by John Lasseter, Walt Disney Studios Live Action, Parks & Resorts, Disney Interactive, and the Frozen Fandemonium show.

That brings the total square footage used for D23 Expo in 2015 to new records. In 2013 they used approximately 540,000 square feet of the Anaheim Convention Center's available 1.1 Million square feet. With 240,000 square foot Exhibit Hall D now in the mix, assuming they use the whole thing for an auditorium and lobby, this year's D23 Expo will use 780,000 square feet of space.

Good thing the Anaheim Convention Center, already the largest convention center on the west coast, is expanding with an extra 250,000 square feet of space opening next year! D23 Expo in 2017 might need it.

RSoxNo1

Hall D23 isn't the Arena? I knew these presentations were going to have more space, but I just assumed they added more to the Arena somehow.

TP2000

Here's the latest from D23 on the WDI Pavilion... Summarized: It's going to focus on Shanghai Disneyland and Avatarland. The logo for the pavilion is a Chinese theme, so Shanghai will be the big sell obviously. Surprise! :rolleyes:

From the official D23 website:

072415_EXPO-parks-feature-feat.png

The Walt Disney Parks and Resorts show floor pavilion will give D23 EXPO 2015 guests a look into the much-anticipated Shanghai Disney Resort, as well as a preview of the Avatar project coming to Walt Disney World Resort’s Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Plus, in addition to the previously announced Hall D23 presentation on Saturday, August 15, guests will have the opportunity to hear from executives, Imagineers, designers, Disney Legends and others directly involved with various projects for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts in five engaging panels.

On The Show Floor

Located in Hall C, the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Pavilion is a 21,500-square-foot exhibit that gives guests a glimpse of the creative process in designing and building Shanghai Disney Resort, along with a preview of the Avatar project coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

In a celebratory exhibit on Shanghai Disney Resort, maquettes, artist illustrations, and media clips capture the designers’ journey as the resort comes to life. Guests can learn about the show design process and discover the tradition and innovation infused into the resort.

Guests will also get an in-depth look at Pandora when they explore what’s to come for the AVATAR project, with models, images, and exhibits on display.

Additionally, Mickey’s of Glendale, the Imagineering-exclusive merchandise store, will open an outpost at the Pavilion where guests will have the opportunity to purchase merchandise specially designed for D23 EXPO 2015.
https://d23.com/parks-celebrates-60-years-of-innovation-at-d23-expo-2015/

And yeah, when cutting/pasting that from the D23 website, I chose that Communist Red font color on purpose. :cool:

Last edited:

TP2000

Hall D23 isn't the Arena? I knew these presentations were going to have more space, but I just assumed they added more to the Arena somehow.

Hall D23 is a new venue being set up in Exhibit Hall D. Previously, Exhibit Hall D was unused by D23 Expo and the D23 footprint stopped at Exhibit Hall C. In previous Expo's they even had a separate convention going on in Hall D, which is the largest of the four exhibit halls. Now that D23 can plan itself out several years in advance, they appear to have secured the entirety of the convention center's first floor this year and are taking advantage of the extra space.

As a point of reference, the 220,000 square foot Exhibit Hall D is almost three times the size of the largest exhibit hall at Walt Disney World, the 80,000 square foot facility at Coronado Springs Resort. Anaheim's Exhibit Hall D is even larger than the entire Seattle Convention Center.

Anaheim Convention Center - First Floor (Previous D23 Expos only used Halls A thru half of C)

LEVEL1RG_tn.gif

The other two big Expo venue spaces, Stage 23 and Stage 28, are being set up in the large ballroom spaces on the second or third floor of the Anaheim Convention Center, as per usual. Ballrooms on those upper levels have up to 38,000 square feet to use, with theater capacities up to 3,500 people.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

In the Parks
Yes
Well i can't really say i'm surprised about the heavy emphasis on the Shanghai project with the Parks & Resorts Pavilion......but will openly confess i don't feel particularly excited about it.

Perhaps i am in a minority here, but even though i am big fan of the Theme Parks i have little interest in the Shanghai project.

The Avatar project for DAK however...that is different.
Will be nice to see what they have on display.

I am kind of hoping ( hoping a LOT, actually...) that the Pavilion will showcase more then just that.
Like, show us some things that define those '60 Years of Innovation' that the title suggests.
That could be interesting...if done well.
An example could be a timeline display presenting notable achievements over the years and then finish up with a final space showing the Shanghai/ Avatar projects.

TP2000

What about the announcement about the new name for the Studios it will be announce in the D23 Expo?

Unlikely, but perhaps. The rebranding and rebuilding of DHS likely will get its own announcement by Bob Iger and Bob Chapek in Burbank or Glendale, if the DCA Extreme Makeover announcement of October, 2007 is any guide.

Last edited:

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Unlikely, but perhaps. The rebranding and rebuilding of DHS likely will get its own announcement by Bob Iger and Bob Chapek in Burbank or New York, if the DCA Extreme Makeover announcement of October, 2007 is any guide.
I hope you are dead wrong, but I think you are right.

Figments Friend

In the Parks
Yes
Info about the five additional Park & Resorts related panels that were announced recently for those who might have missed it.
Just now learning the details about these...and i have to say i am very happy to see the Imagineering panel in honor of Disneyland's 60th.
Also, the Jungle Cruise related one will be a treat for fans of that Attraction for sure.

Starting to get a little more excited.....as i see more potential now.

Friday, August 14th

1:30–2:30 p.m. 60 Years of Disney Parks Merchandise (Stage 28)
Join our talented Disney Design Group artists, merchandisers, and special guests as they take you from concept to reality with behind-the-scenes storytelling about classic Disney souvenirs and how they have become tangible lasting memories. Guests will get a first look at some of the exciting new merchandise coming to Disney parks.

3:15–4:15 p.m. Safari So Good—60 Years of the World Famous Jungle Cruise (Stage 23)
Skippers from throughout the years reflect on their experiences at the Jungle Cruise, which is celebrating its 60th anniversary as one of Disneyland’s opening-day attractions. They will also discuss changes to the attraction over the years including recent holiday overlays and other additions.

5–7 p.m. Imagineering 60 Years of Disneyland (Stage 23)
In a two-part panel discussion about Disneyland with Disney Legends and current Imagineers, panelists will discuss how it all began, what it took to carry on Walt Disney’s legacy, and how Imagineers are continuing to deliver magic well into the future. The panel is moderated by Academy Award®- and Emmy®-nominated filmmaker Leslie Iwerks, who will present a new trailer from her forthcoming documentary about Walt Disney Imagineering.

Sunday, August 16

10–11 a.m. Disney Kingdoms (Stage 28)
Guests will learn about Disney Kingdoms, a joint collaboration between Marvel Comics and Walt Disney Imagineering. Guests will hear how these popular comic book series got started and discover the creators and theme park inspirations behind these popular titles, including Seekers of the Weird, Figment, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

3–4 p.m. Experience the World with Disney: Adventures by Disney, Aulani, Disney Cruise Line, and Disney Vacation Club (Stage 28)
This panel will provide a behind-the-scenes glimpse into how Disney is creating new vacation experiences for families all around the world. The first 400 guests in attendance will get a D23 EXPO-exclusive pin set.

-

So as a 'newbie' this year to the Expo, i find the schedule to be.....challenging to keep straight.
I think the week before the Event i will need to sit down and write out my own 'Schedule of Events' to better clarify the panels i wish to ( hopefully ) experience.

doctornick

Just to clarify: The Parks & Resorts Floor Show will be in Hall C and will focus on Shanghai Disneyland and DAK's Pandora.
Separate from that will be a Parks and Resorts presentation in Hall D23 on Sat Aug 15 from 3:00-4:30pm. While surely they will talk about Shanghai and Pandora, I would think they they will at least mention if not provide some concept art of projects coming to DLR/WDW. I would be surprised if we don't hear at least something about DHS (new name, concept art of whatever Pixar stuff is coming first [Toy Story Playland], info about the Blue Sky Studio, maybe saying that Star Wars is coming to the park)

Last edited:

Figments Friend

In the Parks
Yes
Good luck to you @Figments Friend! The D23 Expo can be daunting to maneuver through, much less conquer.

Thank you TP, and although this will be my first time, i have a good impression of what might lie ahead.

Trying to keep my expectations low...already told myself there is a good chance i won't see everything i wish to see, and i am well aware of the insane crowding i might experience.
I've tried to be realistic about it and approach it from a non-Pixie Dusted direction.
Lots of research...lots of reading...lots of contemplation.

I'll show up and 'go for it'.....but know this is more a spectator sport then a all out fray.
Well, maybe certain parts will turn into a fray ( lines for the panels i really want to see - none of the major ones ).
Thanks for the well wishes.
Hope the days have some wonderful surprises that were unexpected.
:)

TP2000

Will the pandora and shanghai exhibits be on display all weekend

Yes. The WDI Pavilion is open all hours that the exhibit floor is open. Although access to the pavilion is controlled by CM's, there is a pre-show theater you begin with, and there is a queue to get in.

2013's pavilion entrance was set up to look like the actual WDI entrance at 1401 Flower Street in Glendale, as if it was having an "Open House". But you can see the queue to the left of the entrance doors, and wait times were sometimes up to 30 minutes. The pavilion is in Exhibit Hall C again, but I would expect the entrance to look Chinese this year.
9480279042_e6d79304d4_c.jpg

BestVacation

I'm assuming the Parks & Resorts conference has not been included again this time. This is the only part of D23 that really interests me :(
It would be so cool if they would surprise us and say that not only are they planning a STAR WARS LAND in DHS but also making a Star Wars themed hotel similar to what they have done at Art and Animation.

PhotoDave219

Every time I see the word Shanghai I get extremely angry. UGH SO OVER IT.

You mean how Disney has used its profits to invest in Three parks world wide rather than reinvesting and improving the largest & most popular family vacation destination in the world?

It's gets old hearing that we have to wait to see improvements while they constantly throw money at Paris, Hong Kong And now Shanghai...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom