D23 Expo 2015

Figments Friend

I'm honestly not expecting to hear any major announcements at the Expo, but all of you online will likely hear about it well before i do...even though i will be at the Expo all three days!

Already decided i probably will not be able to get into any of the major presentations ( Legends, Parks & Resorts, etc. ) so i am planning to focus more on the smaller ones that fit my interests ( Disneyland, Imagineering related, etc. ).

It seems Disney does not really use the Expo to make major, earth shattering announcements and prefers to use to tools of social media to ramp up the hype.
Observing the last couple of Expos from a distance, my impression lately has been that they enjoy 'teasing' things that us dedicated Park Fans are already aware of ( either by networking or direct ties to the Company ) but will not come right out and reveal much at the Event itself
That of course makes sense when you consider many times plans for things change right up to the last minute.
They probably want to avoid announcing something that ends up not being delivered....like has happened in the past.

9 Days to go before i head out to Anaheim......and so far my impressions from a distance regarding this years Expo -

1. -
The main marketing vibe seems to be for 'shopping' at the Expo.
Not the general aura of it all....not the panels and presentations....but buying the merchandise to be had at the three main Expo Stores and then some.
"Buy our Limited Edition stuff !!" is what i keep hearing in my ears over and over.
Buy stuff to have.
Buy stuff to get signed at the signings.
Buy stuff to have shipped home on the spot.
Buy this. Buy that.
For someone not overly obsessed with scoring that 'collectible' stuff, this sales pitching is getting annoying.
( insert photo of 'Grumpy Cat' here )
There must be a LOT of attendees who's sole focus and reason for attending the Expo is to just buy stuff.
Buy stuff they want, buy stuff to re-sell on eBay, buy stuff just to buy stuff.

I'm more interested in what the folks in the collectibles market might have up for offer and who i might meet there.
This is all about meeting people for me, not buying stuff.

2. -
Mega-commerical for the 'Disney Brand' in every conceivable way...which is to be expected at a Company-run convention.
Yes, it's 'Disney'....but i don't need to be reminded of that every 1/100th of a second.
'Disney' means something different to everyone.
I'm more in line with old-school 'Walties', a certified WED-head for sure, and a EPCOT Center Ambassador.
Being such probably has a lot to do with my perception of things.

3. -
General exception that i will not get to see any of the major presentations ( Legends, Parks & Resorts, etc. ) and have already dimissed them in my mind.
As much as i would enjoy them ( especially P&Rs ) i know i can learn all the details later.
I really don't want to line up for hours and waste time standing in long lines.
I would much rather be wandering around looking for certain people and discovering little unexpected surprises.

I hope all the above does not make it sound like i'm grumping about this Event.
Not at ALL...i'm fairly enthused about attending my 1st Expo.
Just some impressions i am getting pre-Event and thought i'd share.
I'm sure my impressions will change after being through the actual experience.
We shall see......

-

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

I'm honestly not expecting to hear any major announcements at the Expo, but all of you online will likely hear about it well before i do...even though i will be at the Expo all three days!

Already decided i probably will not be able to get into any of the major presentations ( Legends, Parks & Resorts, etc. ) so i am planning to focus more on the smaller ones that fit my interests ( Disneyland, Imagineering related, etc. ).

It seems Disney does not really use the Expo to make major, earth shattering announcements and prefers to use to tools of social media to ramp up the hype.
Observing the last couple of Expos from a distance, my impression lately has been that they enjoy 'teasing' things that us dedicated Park Fans are already aware of ( either by networking or direct ties to the Company ) but will not come right out and reveal much at the Event itself
That of course makes sense when you consider many times plans for things change right up to the last minute.
They probably want to avoid announcing something that ends up not being delivered....like has happened in the past.

9 Days to go before i head out to Anaheim......and so far my impressions from a distance regarding this years Expo -

1. -
The main marketing push seems to be for 'shopping' at the Expo.
Not the general aura of it all....not the Panels and Presentations....buying their merchandise.
"Buy our Limited Edition stuff !!" is what i keep hearing in my ears over and over.
Buy stuff to have. Buy stuff to get signed at the signings. Buy this. Buy that.
For someone not overly obsessed with scoring that 'collectible' stuff, this sales pitching is getting annoying.
( insert photo of 'Grumpy Cat' here )
There must be a LOT of attendees who's sole focus and reason for attending the Expo is to just buy stuff.
Buy stuff they want, buy stuff to re-sell on eBay, buy stuff just to buy stuff.

I'm more interested in what the folks in the collectibles market might have up for offer and who i might meet there.
This is all about meeting people for me, not buying stuff.

2. -
Mega-commerical for the 'Disney Brand' in every conceivable way...which is to be expected at a Company-run convention.
Yes, it's 'Disney'....but i don't need to be reminded of that every 1/100th of a second.
'Disney' means something different to everyone.
I'm more a old school 'Waltie', a certified WED-head, and a EPCOT Center ambassador.
Being such makes me see how shallow some of today's marketing techniques are in comparison....gosh that statement sounds jaded, but i'm just saying how i feel at this moment.

3. -
General exception that i will not get to see any of the major presentations ( Legends, Parks & Resorts, etc. ) and have already dimissed them in my mind.
As much as i would enjoy them ( especially P&Rs ) i know i can learn all the details later.
I really don't want to line up for hours and waste time standing in long lines.
I would much rather be wandering around looking for certain people and discovering little unexpected surprises.

I hope all the above does not make it sound like i'm grumping about this Event.
Not at ALL...i'm fairly enthused about attending my 1st Expo.
Just some impressions i am getting pre-Event and thought i'd share.
I'm sure my impressions will change after being through the actual experience.
We shall see......

-

From a fellow "Waltie", have a great time and do keep us posted! :)

Figments Friend

From a fellow "Waltie", have a great time and do keep us posted! :)

Thanks.

Like i said in my previous post, ya'all will know all the news long before i return home and can post anything to add any imput.
I suppose i can still express a overview of what the experience was like....and maybe have some interesting photos.....but that won't happen until a good week post-Event.
I don't travel with tech so no 'in the moment' posts.
Sorry...others will have to do that.

Expecting massive crowds...long long lines...hopefully a good time....and yes, i'm hoping for Tony Baxter.

Oh yes.
That.

:cool:

twebber55

Thanks.

Like i said in my previous post, ya'all will know all the news long before i return home and can post anything to add any imput.
I suppose i can still express a overview of what the experience was like....and maybe have some interesting photos.....but that won't happen until a good week post-Event.
I don't travel with tech so no 'in the moment' posts.
Sorry...others will have to do that.

Expecting massive crowds...long long lines...hopefully a good time....and yes, i'm hoping for Tony Baxter.

Oh yes.
That.

:cool:
looking forward to your posts!

BrerJon

1. -
The main marketing vibe seems to be for 'shopping' at the Expo.
Not the general aura of it all....not the panels and presentations....but buying the merchandise to be had at the three main Expo Stores and then some.
Buy stuff to have.
Buy stuff to get signed at the signings.
Buy stuff to have shipped home on the spot.
Buy this. Buy that.

-

This is very much the case. I would say the primary type of attendee at D23 is the Disney fan who loves to buy 'Disneyish' things, and will wait hours in line to buy collectibles (or even better get things for free - any time you see a huge line that looks ike it's going to notihng, it's probably for a keyring giveaway or something you could pick up for a dollar elsewhere).

It's very much a shopping convention primarily, then a promotional one, with the archives and historical elements on the fringes.

zooey

The archives stage is sort of the antithesis of what you're saying though. Lots of great panels going on there so you might want to do those more than some of the other big ones. If you want to go to the big presentations you probably can with less wait this year than any year since they increased capacity to 7500 I think? That's a lot of seating. There is an emphasis on collecting, but wandering the emporium and show floor is also a great thing to be a part of too. I really think there is something for everyone, more than any past expo.
When I went last time which was my first, I remember being on the show floor and you would hear a big crowd roar come from somewhere and you would go investigate and it was just some Disney channel star coming out. Obviously not interested in that but then I turn around and see tony Baxter walking around and stopping at the family museum booth. So seek out the things you like and don't begrudge people what they like and it's all going to be fine and fun.
That's my two cents anyway.

Figments Friend

This is very much the case. I would say the primary type of attendee at D23 is the Disney fan who loves to buy 'Disneyish' things, and will wait hours in line to buy collectibles (or even better get things for free - any time you see a huge line that looks ike it's going to notihng, it's probably for a keyring giveaway or something you could pick up for a dollar elsewhere).

It's very much a shopping convention primarily, then a promotional one, with the archives and historical elements on the fringes.

That is definitely the impression i get, BrerJon.
All the things i am most interested in are 'on the fringes' ......yet again...!

I like to look over things, and do pick up a few collectibles in my travels, but it is not the prime motivation for me to fly 24,000 miles coast to coast and pay for a 3-Day Expo ticket just to 'buy stuff'.
I have a hard time understanding why people would want to waste hours in line ( or sleep overnight in line ) to buy things you can get off eBay at any time post-Event and MISS the things you cannot do or see anywhere else?
I would much rather invest in that, instead of...'stuff'.
Everyone is different of course...and has different Expo priorities.
It amuses me somewhat...but it also makes me shake my head.

For me, the displays, Archives, Imagineering Pavilion, and the people you could possibly bump in to make it worth the investment to attend.
I guess i'm just a different kind of 'fan'.....one who does'nt feel a need to bring home six suitcases full of....'stuff'.

-

Figments Friend

The archives stage is sort of the antithesis of what you're saying though. Lots of great panels going on there so you might want to do those more than some of the other big ones. If you want to go to the big presentations you probably can with less wait this year than any year since they increased capacity to 7500 I think? That's a lot of seating. There is an emphasis on collecting, but wandering the emporium and show floor is also a great thing to be a part of too. I really think there is something for everyone, more than any past expo.

When I went last time which was my first, I remember being on the show floor and you would hear a big crowd roar come from somewhere and you would go investigate and it was just some Disney channel star coming out. Obviously not interested in that but then I turn around and see tony Baxter walking around and stopping at the family museum booth. So seek out the things you like and don't begrudge people what they like and it's all going to be fine and fun.
That's my two cents anyway.

Thanks, and that is what i will be focusing on.
They do have some smaller panel presentations that are on my 'must see' list.
I will definitely be checking those out.
Many of them are paired up with the larger presentations so i am hoping that draws the crowds away and increases my chances of seeing the few panels i would like to.

And wandering the Show Floor and the Emporium are also high on my list as from my research that is where you get to meet all kinds of interesting people.
What's great about a big thing like this is there really is something for everyone as you say, and i hope my post earlier was not begrudging anyone.
That was more general impressions and thoughts from a distance i am having...pre-Event.
I know once i'm there i will have a grand time.
:)

zooey

Well, a lot of those first few folks running to the shopping locations are going specifically to resell products. If someone gets their hands on those once upon a time dolls it could pay for their trip alone. I don't mind collectors and consider myself among them to an extent but I agree that everything I remember and recall after a trip is from experiences and not the stuff I bought. A lot of my favorite stuff I got last expo was actually free. Hanging around the animation booth is fun because Pop up giveaways and signings are prevalent. I got a very cool get a horse lithograph poster and some other cool stuff.

Figments Friend

I like free stuff.
Who does'nt..?
:D

This is why i packed a tote bag....to smuggle in my snacks ( has a hidden zipper pouch...gasp...) and to use for stowing any freebies i might encounter.
I had read that there are usually some things given out, even if just paper goods.

I agree, the best thing you can bring back home with you from something like this is the memories from the experience of it all.
No material thing can capture that entirely.

michmousefan

I like free stuff.
Who does'nt..?
:D

This is why i packed a tote bag....to smuggle in my snacks ( has a hidden zipper pouch...gasp...) and to use for stowing any freebies i might encounter.
I had read that there are usually some things given out, even if just paper goods.

I agree, the best thing you can bring back home with you from something like this is the memories from the experience of it all.
No material thing can capture that entirely.
At the last Expo everyone got a bag (DVC Aulani) for toting around stuff. I get where you are coming from for the shopping aspect but one place I would recommend (I know I'll be there) is the Mickey's of Glendale store. There's some nice limited-availability Imagineering things to be found there. At least there was in 2013; I picked up a fun (for me, at least) "Periodic Table of WDI" t-shirt:
imag-tshirt.JPG
The other Disney stores are sort of a "if you have time" sort of thing for me. Not looking to purchase limited-edition dolls, vinyls, pins or other stuff to re-sell on Ebay.

And I'd keep an open mind about the big arena presentations. With the greatly expanded capacity they now have, you might not need to wait as long in line... although we'll see how that materializes in reality. Personally, I'm not bothering with the Legends ceremony; that will be a good test to see how well the new capacity is working for them.

Figments Friend

At the last Expo everyone got a bag (DVC Aulani) for toting around stuff. I get where you are coming from for the shopping aspect but one place I would recommend (I know I'll be there) is the Mickey's of Glendale store. There's some nice limited-availability Imagineering things to be found there. At least there was in 2013; I picked up a fun (for me, at least) "Periodic Table of WDI" t-shirt:View attachment 104246 The other Disney stores are sort of a "if you have time" sort of thing for me. Not looking to purchase limited-edition dolls, vinyls, pins or other stuff to re-sell on Ebay.

And I'd keep an open mind about the big arena presentations. With the greatly expanded capacity they now have, you might not need to wait as long in line... although we'll see how that materializes in reality. Personally, I'm not bothering with the Legends ceremony; that will be a good test to see how well the new capacity is working for them.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Of the three main Stores, M of G was the top choice.
Nice shirt, by the way....

You may well be right regarding the chances of getting into the larger panels.
I might actually be able to see the larger mega-presentations in the huge new venue due to all the added seats.
The only one i would choose of all being presented in the new hall would be Parks & Resorts.
My main interests are directed towards the smaller panels, particularly the main Imagineering related presentation Friday evening.

I think keeping my expectations in check will help curb any disappointments.
So i*m going in assuming i won*t see any of the *big panels* and will focus more on the few smaller ones that are must-dos for me.
If it turns out i can squeeze into a couple of main ones.....swell.
That will just add a little more icing to an already large cake !

BrerJon

I think keeping my expectations in check will help curb any disappointments.
So i*m going in assuming i won*t see any of the *big panels* and will focus more on the few smaller ones that are must-dos for me.
If it turns out i can squeeze into a couple of main ones.....swell.
That will just add a little more icing to an already large cake !

I think you've got a great attitude, Figments Friend, and will have a wonderful time.

Most of the coverage those of us not going will see will be from journalists and lifestylers, and those Disney wants to impress, so it will be very interesting when you get back to hear your thoughts on how it went from the perspective of a regular guest and how that differs from the official line.

Figments Friend

I think you've got a great attitude, Figments Friend, and will have a wonderful time.

Most of the coverage those of us not going will see will be from journalists and lifestylers, and those Disney wants to impress, so it will be very interesting when you get back to hear your thoughts on how it went from the perspective of a regular guest and how that differs from the official line.

Well shucks.....thanks for making me feel like what i have to say might be of interest.

michmousefan

-

Thought i would share these here...

A couple of doodles i scribbled out on paper late last night thinking about some things in regards to the Expo and the panels i hope to be a part of.

The 'Fantasy' i hope to experience....

And the 'Reality' i hope to avoid...!

Nice! My friends have agreed that the max time we will wait for the Arena presentations is about 3 hours max. And that's really just for the live-action preso on Saturday morning, although we are planning on the Animation and Parks presos as well...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom