Crane at Cinderella Castle

rob0519

Usually, I agree about the Walt comments. And though none of us knew him personally, I think anyone that has done their fair research on him knew what a stickler he was for show. As MP said, the man specifically planned the Magic Kingdom be built up a couple floors so workers could get around without being seen by the public. I've read enough Walt biographies, as well as others who worked with and knew him. I think it's safe to say he would have not put up with the crane next to the castle.

Then again, the castle hasn't looked very good to me in years. The turrets are too dark. The paint is too shiny. Those props they put up for the castle stage show look out of place, and it's lacking much of the majesty without the coats of arms, or whatever those big yellow/orange things were on either side of the castle.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Walt built Disneyland in a completely different social, economic and technological time. He was long dead before the Magic Kingdom even opened. The technology to put light on the castle would not come about for decades. And who knows, being a "stickler for the show" he may have put up with a crane if it meant lighting up the castle each night for thousands to enjoy. That lit castle is much more of a show at night than it is in the daytime.

Last edited:

rob0519

Yes, you're absolutely right. The guy who build underground tunnels in WDW so that guests wouldn't encounter a cowboy walking through Tomorrowland would be absolutely thrilled with the idea of guests seeing a giant crane next to Cinderella Castle and workmen crawling all over it. Give me a break!

Now, having said that, I realize that I was probably unfair to criticize TDO about the crane. They're not stupid and they're probably not thrilled with the crane either, but haven't found a way to avoid using it to set up the ice lights. My solution would be to ditch those lights and use projections, coupled with the LED lights Marni mentioned, in their place. Projections could overlay ice, a snowfall, perhaps the ice fairies from Fantasia on the front of the castle, and the LEDs would add sparkle. It could be awesome. And no more crane!

I'm absolutely right in that no one could possibly "know" what Walt would think about anything. Speculate sure, but know, impossible. As I stated in another response, Walt built Disneyland in a different social, economic and technological time. He was dead before the Magic Kingdom opened. The technology to light up the castle would not be available for several more decades. If it took a crane to provide a spectacular nighttime show to tens of thousands of guests or not have that show, it's reasonable to speculate the crane would be there until a new and better technology came along.

Even now, you're citing technology (projections, LED lights, etc.) that didn't exist or were not practical when the use of a crane to put lights on the castle was the only way to do it. Thing change, technology and people evolve. Walt would have had to evolve as well.

Magenta Panther

I'm absolutely right in that no one could possibly "know" what Walt would think about anything. Speculate sure, but know, impossible. As I stated in another response, Walt built Disneyland in a different social, economic and technological time. He was dead before the Magic Kingdom opened. The technology to light up the castle would not be available for several more decades. If it took a crane to provide a spectacular nighttime show to tens of thousands of guests or not have that show, it's reasonable to speculate the crane would be there until a new and better technology came along.

Even now, you're citing technology (projections, LED lights, etc.) that didn't exist or were not practical when the use of a crane to put lights on the castle was the only way to do it. Thing change, technology and people evolve. Walt would have had to evolve as well.

Thank you for the lecture. To begin with, there's nothing "high-tech" about using a crane to hang lights on a freaking building. People did stuff like that when Walt was alive. Just so you know. :rolleyes:

As for "evolve", Walt had a tendency to do that a lot. That's what his phrase "Keep moving forward" meant.

He'd hate that the crane and workmen are visible to guests. Whether or not he would have found another way to light the castle - THAT you can speculate about. But there is NO doubt he would have tried.

And about the lecture - most of the people here don't need one. We probably know more about Walt than you do. But yeah, thanks anyway.

Last edited:

rob0519

Thank you for the lecture. To begin with, there's nothing "high-tech" about using a crane to hang lights on a freaking building. People did stuff like that when Walt was alive. Just so you know. :rolleyes:

As for "evolve", Walt had a tendency to do that a lot. That's what his phrase "Keep moving forward" meant.

He'd hate that the crane and workmen are visible to guests. Whether or not he would have found another way to light the castle - THAT you can speculate about. But there is NO doubt he would have tried.

And about the lecture - most of the people here don't need one. We probably know more about Walt than you do. But yeah, thanks anyway.

I never said the lights were "high tech", but the types of outdoor lights available in 1972 were different than the ones available in 1990 which were different than the ones available today. Fine, I speculate that you and most of the people here know more about Walt than I do. Happy?

Seanual757

This was Friday at the MK

IMG_8305.JPG

The first year they did the lights, the crane was lowered almost every day. Why can't they lower the dang thing before park opening ? It is not being used. Every so often if there is an event they will lower it. It's not like they aren't capable. And from a few friends inside WDI, the complaints are so great that there are discussions of this being the last year of the lights, which is absolutely ridiculous .

Biff215

The first year they did the lights, the crane was lowered almost every day. Why can't they lower the dang thing before park opening ? It is not being used. Every so often if there is an event they will lower it. It's not like they aren't capable. And from a few friends inside WDI, the complaints are so great that there are discussions of this being the last year of the lights, which is absolutely ridiculous .
Not being used? A majority of the time when it's up it is being used. The exception might be a lunch break, during which it might not be worth it to completely lower it. I'm fairly certain they do lower it when they're done each day.

HRHPrincessAriel

They do lower it each day. Only in the minds of the delusional do they not lower it or have it up with no work being done. The idiocy on these forums sometimes is astounding, but not surprising.
I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over this crane. If someone lets a crane ruin their vacation...then they have bigger issues to work on.
Probably same people who would complain if it didn't have lights at Christmas. Same ones that complain about rides being down for refurbs and then complain when are not up to their standards.

WDW Monorail

In general, night time crane picks or man basket work is a big no-no for non crotical work. Clearly, this type of work is not critical. Night time crane work is also slower than work in day light.

This thread is another example of the ineptitude of posters on this site.

Not being used? A majority of the time when it's up it is being used. The exception might be a lunch break, during which it might not be worth it to completely lower it. I'm fairly certain they do lower it when they're done each day.

I am at MK a few times per week and I have only seen the crane in use one time during the day. I believe the time it was in use was during some exterior refurbishment, not for the dream lights. So the question is, why can't it be lowered to the ground as they did the first year the lights were put up if is not being used ?

I don't mind the crane one bit because the end result is phenomenal. But there has to be some way around the crane complaints other than holding meetings at WDI to discuss doing away with the lights.

Bocabear

I am at MK a few times per week and I have only seen the crane in use one time during the day. I believe the time it was in use was during some exterior refurbishment, not for the dream lights. So the question is, why can't it be lowered to the ground as they did the first year the lights were put up if is not being used ?

I don't mind the crane one bit because the end result is phenomenal. But there has to be some way around the crane complaints other than holding meetings at WDI to discuss doing away with the lights.
Iam sure the WDI meetings are not because of complaints, but because they are trying to trim expenses of the install... That is the only reason they would be meeting...

squidward

They do lower it each day. Only in the minds of the delusional do they not lower it or have it up with no work being done. The idiocy on these forums sometimes is astounding, but not surprising.

Sorry, but I've seen it up many times with absolutely no work being done. I've seen it up all day and night. It most certainly isn't always taken down.

Goofyernmost

The answer is that if they need the big crane the boom is not fold-able. It would have to be "de-rigged" everyday which is a full day production followed by another day to put it back together again. There is no room back there to put a crane that size with the boom straight out lying on the ground. Just isn't possible. I guess we will just have to accept it's presence or decide that we aren't going to mind when the castle rots away and falls over.

At least, since they started the ice lights on the Castle that crane has been there for a few weeks before and a few weeks after the holiday season. It is a minor annoyance and certainly not worthy of all this discussion. We have the crane or we don't have the lights. You make the choice.

cheezbat

The answer is that if they need the big crane the boom is not fold-able. It would have to be "de-rigged" everyday which is a full day production followed by another day to put it back together again. There is no room back there to put a crane that size with the boom straight out lying on the ground. Just isn't possible. I guess we will just have to accept it's presence or decide that we aren't going to mind when the castle rots away and falls over.

At least, since they started the ice lights on the Castle that crane has been there for a few weeks before and a few weeks after the holiday season. It is a minor annoyance and certainly not worthy of all this discussion. We have the crane or we don't have the lights. You make the choice.
Then I'll do without the lights. Theyre just lights. The crane is a four month eyesore.

Lumiere90

We're going in October with WDW 19 thru 26 and then a week for Universal. We roughly paid around 15000 swedish crowns (1780 dollars) per person for the whole trip. It would be very sad if the crane was there for the one time the six of us visits WDW. It's our first time. Although I understand the necessarily action of this. But if the crane went up around August 14th and MNSSHP starts September 2nd, isn't it probably gone by October 19th (if there isn't any major castle refurbishments)?

Next Big Thing

The crane most certainly does lower and as recently as last year they raised and lowered it frequently during the day. I've yet to go to the park since the crane has been up so I can't speak to the claims of it being up and no work done, but in my experience (both working at the park and playing), that's never been the case.

mouse_luv

We're going in October with WDW 19 thru 26 and then a week for Universal. We roughly paid around 15000 swedish crowns (1780 dollars) per person for the whole trip. It would be very sad if the crane was there for the one time the six of us visits WDW. It's our first time. Although I understand the necessarily action of this. But if the crane went up around August 14th and MNSSHP starts September 2nd, isn't it probably gone by October 19th (if there isn't any major castle refurbishments)?
The crane should be gone by Oct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom