Carousel of Progress closing for refurbishment in late summer

Soarin' Over Pgh

New final scene: Theater rotates, music plays and we see the now grossly overweight family sitting around in shorts and sandals, with loud t-shirts having some inane ads printed on them.
It's Christmas with a Charlie-Brown Christmas twig in a beat up living room/kitchen in a trailer park.
They are all wearing Magic Bands. Music stops. Silence...(Junior touches Magic Band to Rover and he barks on command.)...
Father touches his Magic Band to a beer and the cap pops off.
Mom touches Magic Band to TV and gets 5 more minutes of Honey Boo Boo.
Cousin Orville is heard over sound of flushing toilet "Can't use the facilities without a Magic Band anymore."
Daughter touches Magic Band to microwave oven and out pops a smoking pizza, and she exclaims "My Magic Band is pink!"
Grandma says "I can't imagine how anyone survived before the Magic Band" and everyone laughs.
The theater begins to turn as a haunted mansionesque funeral dirge begins to play...
'There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow...."
Crowd leaves as the whole family holds up their Magic Bands in eerie robotic silence.

Game over, you win.

The only thing you forgot is the awkward 10 second silence after someone talks and/or asks another family member a question. Then the person looks up and goes "huh?" Followed by another 10 second awkward silence gap as the statement originator has to look up from their phone.

Otherwise, you nailed it.

ZodIsGr8

As you can tell by my avatar this is a ride that is very near and dear to my heart. I love this ride because it takes you back to a more simple time and you can just enjoy the progress that we have made in life. The best thing to me though is to know that this is Walt's ride and is an original Disney ride. I know the last scene needs to be updated but I almost hate to see them do it. If they were to change it, I hope they would bring back the progress city backdrop that later turned out to be the inspiration for Epcot. I have included a link to a great documentary on the Carousel of Progress and I hope you enjoy it!
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video...f+progress+documentary&fr=ipad&sigb=12isg1tu6

Yankee Mouse

I don't think it is necessary to update the final scene. I think it should stay as a look at how an American family progressed through the 20th century. As someone else pointed out if you continually update that last scene the disconnect between scene 5 and the final one grows. Leave it as it would have appeared in 1999 so you can see how the American family progressed through the century.

I know they probably changed the narration so that they could get away without having to update it all the time but I still think it works.

"Walt loved the idea of progress and he loved the American family. He himself was probably as American as anyone could possibly be. He thought it would be fun to watch the American family go through the twentieth century experiencing all new wonders as they came."

Just my personal opinion. Besides we have SSE to see what our future will be like right?????

MerlinTheGoat

How much work can they accomplish in 10 days though? They're going to need to be pretty fast to get to everything that needs it if this refurb is actually going to clean anything up. Carpets i'm guessing need replacing at this point, probably the same goes for the seating as well. I've not been in a few years but I'm sure the show elements could use some work at this point too (animatronic figures were hit or miss when I last visited in 2012).

gmajew

Premium Member
I was on it at the end of March and I am glad it is getting some love. Some of the speakers were blown and crackling and the seats and carpet need to be replaced.

The overall experience though is still good. My kids age 10 and 6 love going on the ride. They think seeing how people use to live is cool and funny.

The last scene is outdated but that is really the only area that needs to be changed... I am ok with it staying the same if it goes to a 90's kitchen.

bethymouse

The seat cushions and carpets are in need of replacement. This is what was rumoured to be done this year, along with minor mechanical work.
The seats need a good cleaning, as well as the entire ride. I don't feel it's in deplorable condition, but it needs a good cleaning or even replacement of the seats and carpet! The sound system needed help as well the last time we were there 9/13.:eek:

Thrill

New final scene: Theater rotates, music plays and we see the family sitting around in updated 2014 clothing at Christmas in a state of the art living room/kitchen. They are all looking down at their smartphones. Music stops. Silence..........(Rover barks, family looks up for a moment)........Silence
Music starts and theater rotates to exit scene.
Crowd leaves looking down at their smartphones.
Beautiful!

They should do a post apocalyptic theme for the last scene during Halloween and call it Carousel of Decline. Was thinking zombies, but that's getting a little old already.

New final scene: Theater rotates, music plays and we see the now grossly overweight family sitting around in shorts and sandals, with loud t-shirts having some inane ads printed on them.
It's Christmas with a Charlie-Brown Christmas twig in a beat up living room/kitchen in a trailer park.
They are all wearing Magic Bands. Music stops. Silence...(Junior touches Magic Band to Rover and he barks on command.)...
Father touches his Magic Band to a beer and the cap pops off.
Mom touches Magic Band to TV and gets 5 more minutes of Honey Boo Boo.
Cousin Orville is heard over sound of flushing toilet "Can't use the facilities without a Magic Band anymore."
Daughter touches Magic Band to microwave oven and out pops a smoking pizza, and she exclaims "My Magic Band is pink!"
Grandma says "I can't imagine how anyone survived before the Magic Band" and everyone laughs.
The theater begins to turn as a haunted mansionesque funeral dirge begins to play...
Crowd leaves as the whole family holds up their Magic Bands in eerie robotic silence.

Really love the creativity coming out of this thread. I'm partial to the first idea, but I would add in a few lines of dialog about breaking a high score on 2048, or something. Then it goes back to silence.

rct247

I'm hearing rumblings that Carousel of Progress is going down for a quick refurbishment sometime in the next couple weeks to help prep for the refurbishment later this year. It sounds like the stuff they end up doing this month will allow them to do more later this year. The dates I have heard are for the week of May 18th.

RubyLee

As you can tell by my avatar this is a ride that is very near and dear to my heart. I love this ride because it takes you back to a more simple time and you can just enjoy the progress that we have made in life. The best thing to me though is to know that this is Walt's ride and is an original Disney ride. I know the last scene needs to be updated but I almost hate to see them do it. If they were to change it, I hope they would bring back the progress city backdrop that later turned out to be the inspiration for Epcot. I have included a link to a great documentary on the Carousel of Progress and I hope you enjoy it!
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A0LEV0grUU9T.gQAjRjBGOd_;_ylu=X3oDMTB1N2Jsc2RxBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1RBVVMwMzNfMQ--?p=carousel of progress documentary&tnr=21&vid=70C74099D466137F6B9970C74099D466137F6B99&l=5074&turl=http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=UN.607997035117874679&pid=15.1&rurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSCQLNMNq4&sigr=11a6vn7rf&tt=b&tit=Extinct Attractions General Electric Carousel of Progress ...&sigt=11tvl006c&back=http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&p=carousel+of+progress+documentary&fr=ipad&sigb=12isg1tu6
Thanks for posting! I'm a big CoP fan and enjoy any info/videos about it!!

ZodIsGr8

Thanks for posting! I'm a big CoP fan and enjoy any info/videos about it!!
Glad you liked it. I love the original attractions because it's as if you have stepped back in time. I just wish that they would have left Horizons in as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom