Carousel of Progress closing for refurbishment in late summer

John

Dear lord please do not let them close this attraction. I get that there is dislike for this attraction in the Disney community but it does have a loyal following. I say leave the final scene......it is what it is. Every scene is a look back in time, why the need to change a scene? To make it current? Then in a year it would be outdated just as quick. No the final scene is fine. Fix any AA issues, change the carpet and seat Cushing's and be done with it.

Communicore

I don't dislike the attraction but cringe at the ending, that is, if I am awake. As mentioned in the other threads I do enjoy sleeping at CoP and new seats and carpeting would be great. The ending just needs to be the 1969 ending, at least it is what you would call "groovy" but this Virtual Boy thing they have now reeks of the first post-Communicore Innoventions era. And that flat screen they added two years ago is just laughable, as if this was the present.

bubbles1812

The seat cushions and carpets are in need of replacement. This is what was rumoured to be done this year, along with minor mechanical work.
This was the thought that went to my mind when I saw that COP was getting a refurb. When I was there last year, so many of the seats in the theater looked just plain dirty and worn out though it did not stop me from taking my nap in the nice A/C. (Sorry COP lovers, but the ride has never done it for me... But least I still ride it even if it is only to take a nap). Hope they tune up some of the AAs as well.

Communicore

So groovy!

Attachments

• ge_progress_5.jpg
    ge_progress_5.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 455

Figments Friend

So groovy!

Great promo shot.
Love the retro tv among the gifts.

The best touch however is seeing what looks like Walt's famous 'Progress City' outside the windows.

Awesome.

This is a great example of how Disney used to design things with a 'timeless' quality about them.
Looking at the photo, there is nothing that screams 60s except the quaint tv.
Everything else looks fine, to my eyes at least.
Of course it could have been different had i seen it in person back then at the World's Fair.

So often it seems that attractions focus too much on being hip and 'now'...and then age disgracefully in a short amount of time.
You can still make something cool and hip...and keep it in a state where it will never seen to age.
Remember kids - "The word 'trend' finishes with '...end' !"

I love COP.
A bit disappointing that nothing is being done to acknowledge it's 50th Anniversary this year, but understandable to some degree.

Last edited:

TP2000

How hard would it be to give Mom a new laptop, or everyone new clothes? It couldn't cost that much?

That would help and would be cheap n' easy to do, but clearly TDO doesn't care. Do you think George K. and Meg Crofton have even been to see the COP in the last 20 years??? I don't. They just don't care, it's obvious.

But really, the whole Act IV needs to be gutted and redone. The whole thing is painfully 1990's, from the kitchen counters/décor/appliances to all of the furniture to the carpet to the hairdos to the home's color palette to the "technology" they are using that was available at Best Buy in 1996. The whole thing is a bad time capsule to 1994.

Replacing Mother's twenty year old laptop and getting Junior out of those Mom Jeans he's wearing would be a cheap and easy fix to make Act IV just a little less painful to watch. But at some point we have to realize that TDO just doesn't care and they are more interested with overstaffed cubicle farms in Celebration than actually putting on a good show to paying customers.

Tod&BigMamaOdie

Good to hear. I have referred to it as the Carousel of Degress in the past but have warmed up to it. My children randomly break out into "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow". I guess it's that shared experience. Plus yes the A/C and power nap aspect helps. Hope it's new cushions and carpet (in addition to updated last scene); I imagine it's filthy and I don't want to know why beyond normal wear & tear...

CheshireCat12

Last scene-
Give everyone new clothes
Update the technology and the decor of the room, and the kitchen especially
As it is right now, the scene reflects 20 years ago, and even a bit before that (tight-rolled pants on the daughter is so late 80's)

Clamman73

You would think with a set time for the refurb that they'll have everything lined and ready to go to redo the last scene.

Communicore

See the more they add years to the last scene the more of a disconnect it has from the preceding scenes. I mean it was already a huge gap during the 80's but now if they do like, the year 2525 or something it would be even worse lol

Communicore

I think the best CoP would be to have each scene be the prior ending scene, so you have the original 60's, then 70's (plaid pants dude, hippy-ish folkish singer girl), 80's (with the ghettoblaster), 90's, and 2525.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom