Carousel of Progress closing for refurbishment in late summer

rct247

Finally got a chance to ride it today after the refurbishment earlier this month and you can definitely tell they did some things. First thing that I noticed was some fresh paint around the doors to the attraction. Inside each theater they have some panels on the lower half of the walls that are made of a plastic material. My guess is that it makes it easier to clean and handles wear and tear better than the wallpaper did. Some of the carpeting was replaced too.

The biggest difference were how fresh and clean the sets/scenes looked. Props are not dusty. Paint is fresh. Lighting is brighter in a good way. Scrims for the most part look better. Even the audio animatronics got some love with clean clothes (not new, just refreshed) and in some cases different skins. Not all the figures got the same touch ups it seems, but father is looking better for the most part. I think they may have even added or refreshed a few props in Act 4. Overall, you can tell they threw a little more money on this refurb than the past ones. Let's hope even more stuff improves the next time it goes down.

DisneyGentleman

Not all the figures got the same touch ups it seems, but father is looking better for the most part. I think they may have even added or refreshed a few props in Act 4. Overall, you can tell they threw a little more money on this refurb than the past ones. Let's hope even more stuff improves the next time it goes down.
Quite a refreshing surprise!

pumpkin7

Has anyone taken any pictures? I love CoP, so it's nice to see it getting some love.
Oh, and I hope they've reskinned the dog. His fur was all hanging off last year. Poor doggy.

zarpman

I sat for a spin on the Carousel on May 28. It wasn't in horrible condition by any means. It appeared that father's hand in the second scene had been given a temporary fix from the limp-wrested photos I saw earlier in the month, but it seemed that the fix was prone to get broken again as it swung awfully close to his hand resting on the chair and some slight variation in the way it swings could get caught and broken again. The audio in the third scene is jacked up as well. The score playing in the auditorium rivaled the sounds from the stage which made it very hard to hear vocals when the music was playing. Also, son's mouth on the 4th scene didn't move at all.

I know this is WALT DISNEY'S Carousel of Progress, but I think the nostalgia factor just isn't connecting with the audience. I saw they really need to revamp this attraction. There is plenty they could do to keep the show very true to its roots by updating some of the dialogue and adjusting the gaps between the scenes. Removing the mentioning of the years would do wonders to the continuity and that last scene needs an overhaul stat. There are plenty of great writers at WDI that could give this attraction a fresh spin that would be more relevant and entertaining to an ever changing audience.

Oh, and get rid of the Incredibles dance party outside. I don't need to hear Gangnam Style during the show. :p

Phil12

Even the audio animatronics got some love with clean clothes (not new, just refreshed) and in some cases different skins. Not all the figures got the same touch ups it seems, but father is looking better for the most part. I think they may have even added or refreshed a few props in Act 4. Overall, you can tell they threw a little more money on this refurb than the past ones. Let's hope even more stuff improves the next time it goes down.

That's because father's clothes got a complete refurbishment in the new GE clothes washer and clothes dryer! The new GE machines have special settings to remove stains, dust and unsightly hydraulic fluid leaks.

GE-wringer-Washer-Print-Ad-260x300.jpg

Last edited:

Amy Brewer

I do love this ride in the sense that its a sit down and relax ride for a good while, and the song is way to catchy! One thing I don't get is that the main AA ( the guy who sits down all the time and is cooking in the final scene) in the first one he looks 90 odd. In the second one he looks younger at around 70, then the next 2 he looks only to be 40 odd! I don't get how the kids both grow older throughout the scenes but everyone else is meant to be the same age. Just a bit confusing o_O

RetiredFRN

Was just there last week. Love the COP and so do my two teenage daughters. The seats definitely need a refurb along with the carpets. I for one like the last scene, it kind of gives it that vintage Disney ride look, What needs to be done is some work on the "people" especially mom in the last scene, her fingers look dirty and all shriveled up. Also, air conditioner needs some work, by the time your at the end of the ride it's pretty stifling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom