Canadian Lumberjack Show to open at Epcot's Canada Pavilion in early October

officialtom

I'd like to point out that the original entertainment idea for the Canada pavilion when it was being built was to have a lumberjack show. The Canadian government cut this idea (according to Wiki and Theme Park Insider for sources) because they thought it would reinforce negative stereotypes that Canada was just full of lumberjacks, so they withheld funding until it was switched up.
I guess these days they don't care (or Canada no longers provides funding or input), or these days would be more worried about another stereotype (hockey players?).

Canada actually never provided funding to the pavilion, and that's why we've always ended up with such ridiculous representations of Canada (a prime example is the forever-outdated Circlevision yawn). It's sad, really, that the US's closest friend and ally is represented by the inauthentic, beyond hot (warm) outfits, and now by this ridiculous Paul Bunyan show. Off Kilter was at least representative of Atlantic Canada, and always brought in a decent crowd.

evnted

hmm the problem with this, or essentially any other replacement, is that it's destined for failure simply due to how obsessively negative people are being about the departure of off-kilter. could this show blow? of course it could. but could it also actually be good and not as redneck-y as the one posted from the Utah State Fair (video on page 1)? certainly it can. im worried that people are gonna be a bit too closed-minded about this and automatically complain about hearing a chainsaw while walking around WS without giving the show a chance.

note2001

I secretly believe Disney picked this show out on purpose. Right now, it's being seen as a replacement, but, when they later cut it after it's not well received (and replace it with nothing); fewer people will complain. Oh, the strategy. o_O

Didn't think of that, good point. If that's the case, I do feel bad for the people in the show if they're relocating hoping for a long run at EPCOT.

wannabeBelle

Didn't think of that, good point. If that's the case, I do feel bad for the people in the show if they're relocating hoping for a long run at EPCOT.
Exactly so. I had suggested in one of my letters to Disney that they do what was done at the Studios with all of the Frozen events. Bring them in alongside the existing acts, juggle around the times etc. if need be but bring it in for a month or two, see what it can do and THEN when you have a true guest response to make a decision as to if OK needs to go. Somehow I doubt that would have been the outcome, but at least this would have been a fair test run with none of the bias a lot of people will feel now. I do feel badly for these guys, but they were placed in a really bad position. Is it fair? no, not at all. It is what it is though. Marie

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
hmm the problem with this, or essentially any other replacement, is that it's destined for failure simply due to how obsessively negative people are being about the departure of off-kilter. could this show blow? of course it could. but could it also actually be good and not as redneck-y as the one posted from the Utah State Fair (video on page 1)? certainly it can. im worried that people are gonna be a bit too closed-minded about this and automatically complain about hearing a chainsaw while walking around WS without giving the show a chance.
I think (and this is a guess) that the vast majority of people who visit Epcot have no idea who Off Kilter is outside of "that bagpipe band". Those of us on here and similar fan sites might know, but I'd guess the average visitor, if anything, will say something similar to: "Hey, what's this lumberjack thing? Didn't there used to be a band here? Oh well, lets go get one of them Cronut thingies."

In other words, I think that there are some folks who will not give it a chance due to Off Kilter, but a much larger group of people who might not even notice they are gone.

evnted

I think (and this is a guess) that the vast majority of people who visit Epcot have no idea who Off Kilter is outside of "that bagpipe band". Those of us on here and similar fan sites might know, but I'd guess the average visitor, if anything, will say something similar to: "Hey, what's this lumberjack thing? Didn't there used to be a band here? Oh well, lets go get one of them Cronut thingies."

In other words, I think that there are some folks who will not give it a chance due to Off Kilter, but a much larger group of people who might not even notice they are gone.
yea true, my post was directed a bit more towards the boards but i agree with your point

nor'easter

I will be the first to tell you that when lumberjack competitions come on ESPN...I'm stopping channel surfing and I'm watching it! I find it utterly fascinating what these guys do with saws and how fast they do it. I watched Off Kilter once, but I will not be missing them. These guys....cannot wait to see them when I am down there in December.
You'll love the monster truck pull in the American Adventure.

Adam N

Does anyone have any idea on the other replacements happening? This is early October, but what about the flags in Italy and the other stuff mentioned on Disney Parks blog? Is this question pointless because I probably know the answer already? Yes.

PhotoDave219

Does anyone have any idea on the other replacements happening? This is early October, but what about the flags in Italy and the other stuff mentioned on Disney Parks blog? Is this question pointless because I probably know the answer already? Yes.

The flags will be next after the lumberjack show… I can't keep making those jokes… as things are phased in. I think I heard the Celtic performers in the United Kingdom would be sometime in November perhaps? But I remembered what I was told.

Phil12

I wonder if Disney checked out the allergy/asthma component of the show and asked them to eliminate anything (chain saws) that would create great amounts of airborne pine dust.
I would imagine they had the same problem with Off Kilter. The amount of allergens emitted from bagpipes is tremendous and those pipes spread the allergens in all directions at once. :geek:

arko

Canada actually never provided funding to the pavilion, and that's why we've always ended up with such ridiculous representations of Canada (a prime example is the forever-outdated Circlevision yawn). It's sad, really, that the US's closest friend and ally is represented by the inauthentic, beyond hot (warm) outfits, and now by this ridiculous Paul Bunyan show. Off Kilter was at least representative of Atlantic Canada, and always brought in a decent crowd.

its representative of one part of Altantic Canada, but that's a whole other argument. The simple fact is Off Kilter wasn't even Canadian they were from Florida, and the new show isn't any better. The Canadian pavilion is no different than any of the other pavilions they are highly compressed stereotypical representations of what Disney thought people would want to see. That is why I am sure pretty much anyone who goes into the pavilion from their home country winces just a little bit.

Vegas Disney Fan

Any idea where they will hold the lumberjack show? It seems like the grassy area near the gardens would work better than a stage.

I wonder if they are trying to drive traffic into the pavilion rather than clogging the walkway behind the pavilion.

eeyoremum

Good find, but how many Canadians know this, or think of it as Canadian?

As far as Celtic music, very east coast and many Canadians would identify it as such. I guess it doesn't really matter in the long run. It's really hard to find entertainment that represents Canada.

Maybe move Cirque from Dtd to here ;)

Most Canadians know Paul Bunyan isn't Canadian. How are lumberjacks uniquely Canadian? How does that represent my country? It doesn't.

Celtic music is not uniquely Canadian but it is listened to. Spirit of the West, Great Big Sea, The Rankin Family are some big name Canadian Celtic Bands. Canada can base our roots to the United Kingdom but mostly Scotland our first Prime Minister was Scottish. So, I can see hoe Celtic music is a fit.

I would say Cirque is uniquely Canadian but personally it is overrated

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom