Canadian Lumberjack Show to open at Epcot's Canada Pavilion in early October

Rutt

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I don't mean to suggest that it is 100% guaranteed that Paul Bunyan was a Canadian based folk tale. But, the origin of folk tales are not cut and dry. He was based in logging country. Many articles point to a potential source as French-Canada.

Was Paul Bunyan a real person? It is believed that he was based on a real person. The most likely person was Fabian Fournier who was also called Saginaw Joe (although there are others). He was a French-Canadian lumberjack from Canada. As a matter of fact many of the lumbermen were from Canada in the beginning.

The Bunyan mythology first appeared in print in columns of the Detroit News Tribune (1910), but a Canadian origin has often been claimed. It may have originated in the French Canadian folk tradition of Ti-Jean or Jean Bonhomme, or possibly from the woods of New Brunswick and Maine, where the legendary feats of the hero GLOOSCAP were well known.

Many point to Minnesota, Michigan, North Dakota, and any number of other places. There are no fewer than 6 places in the US where you can go see large statues of Paul in towns that claim his "birth".

http://mentalfloss.com/article/2978...nd-what-they-should-be-bragging-about-instead

All that aside, I doubt Disney put a second of thought into this fact when they booked the lumberjack act. They likely went "We want lumberjacks, oohhhh, look, there's an outfit local! I wonder how cheap they would work!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom