doctornick

The first is minor: it seems like RJ only has an exterior, holding pen line. That's a bit weird.

I don't know if the entire queue as been posted -- those switchbacks could simply be the first part for when the line is really long. From what I recall from insiders, there was talk about the queue being a surrogate for the first few scenes of the ride, so I'd imagine that there is some more detailed work there.

Edit: Inside the Magic has the following to say about the queue (I'll spoiler tag it):

The queue begins on a path that winds its way around various textiles created by the Na’vi as well as their totems of the magical Shaman of Songs. The pieces are intricate works of art and give you a taste of the fascinating people you are are about to see.

Above the queue is another intricate hand-woven piece that actually serves as a map of the river that winds through Pandora. The blue ropes represent the river, and the other areas represent the rest of the bioluminescent forest. At night, this piece takes on new life as it is illuminated with light that moves, showing where various life forms are as they journey down the river, according to Executive Creative Director Stefan Hellwig.

rocketraccoon

For some reason I can't wait to see what it'll look like when it rains (as in properly raining, not a 20 minute downpour). It seems like it'd make for some great atmosphere combined with the noises.

The Jurassic Park area of Universal's Island of Adventure was always cool to be in when it rained as long as you were under cover. They did have background music constantly going though.

dolphinforces

I don't know if the entire queue as been posted -- those switchbacks could simply be the first part for when the line is really long. From what I recall from insiders, there was talk about the queue being a surrogate for the first few scenes of the ride, so I'd imagine that there is some more detailed work there.

I'm pretty sure RJ is mostly if not completely outdoors, while FoP tells the story with the queue being indoors through different environments

Casper Gutman

Attractions Mag posted a video of the queue and showed only the switchbacks - and they haven't exactly been reluctant to show as much as they can. The "queue as surrogate" was always pretty transparent PR spin in response to concerns about the ride length.

If I'm wrong here, of course, a big mea culpa in advance.

Bairstow

the.dreamfinder

Australia would be cool, but I'd still want them to first replace or improve Dinorama (with maybe the Excavator coaster?) and franky, Kali River Rapids. Of all the park's existing attractions, that's the one that most obviously feels like it was a victim of budget cuts.

And I still want my dragon! Even if it's just a minor walk through like at DLP. Just something after 20 years of waiting.
If Joe's going to sell his soul for Marvel, here's what he should get in return for DAK.
  1. New film in Tree of Life Theater that serves as the park's thesis statement attraction
  2. Dinoland redo
  3. Redo Kali to a design closer to the original Tiger River Run
  4. Third Pandora Attraction
  5. Long term planning with new land set aside for expansion

No Name

I just have to say, I love preshow videos with actors. I could write paragraphs expressing my love for them, and how they respresented a shift in the tone of theme park attractions, and how they make rides memorable, and are so quotable, etc. One of the many great things to come from the 80s and 90s, in my opinion. I fear that they're dying off, which is unfortunate, so seeing them in a new ride is wonderful.

The first guy is interesting, in that he's kind of dopey. Of course its intentional, and though I can't exactly see why, I kind of like it. The woman in the second preshow is just classic 90s material. She reminds me of the woman in the Dinosaur video. Is that racist?

And another interesting thing is that this is a quite literally a simulator of a simulator. Most preshow videos act as though you're actually going to do something. FoP's, on the other hand, spends the bulk of its time (perhaps too much time) getting you to understand that you're not actually riding a banshee, you're just supposed to feel like you're riding one. @Bairstow , that's something I find especially satirical.

Sho 'nuff.

Is that my boi Jon Landau?! :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

But that reminds me... I guess he failed to land a starring role in the FoP preshows. How did that fall through? I think he as his bleached-hair character should've been in it.

Bairstow

And another interesting thing is that this is a quite literally a simulator of a simulator. Most preshow videos act as though you're actually going to do something. FoP's, on the other hand, spends the bulk of its time (perhaps too much time) getting you to understand that you're not actually riding a banshee, you're just supposed to feel like you're riding one. @Bairstow , that's something I find especially satirical.

I don't know if you saw Avatar or not, but the central conceit of the movie is that technology allows the consciousness or soul of a human to be wirelessly transferred to another body so that the human can "drive" it. So, the fiction of the attraction is that you are flying on the banshee in the canyon, it's just that you are inhabiting another body while you're doing so.

Therefore, it's not a simulation of a simulation, but a simulation of a technologically-enabled out-of-body experience.

...as opposed to Mission:Space, which is a simulation of a simulation of a simulation of a simulation of space travel. There's literally four degrees of artificiality between reality and the fun thing you want to pretend to be doing.

180º

I don't know if you saw Avatar or not, but the central conceit of the movie is that technology allows the consciousness or soul of a human to be wirelessly transferred to another body so that the human can "drive" it. So, the fiction of the attraction is that you are flying on the banshee in the canyon, it's just that you are inhabiting another body while you're doing so.

Therefore, it's not a simulation of a simulation, but a simulation of a technologically-enabled out-of-body experience.

...as opposed to Mission:Space, which is a simulation of a simulation of a simulation of a simulation of space travel. There's literally four degrees of artificiality between reality and the fun thing you want to pretend to be doing.

I would agree that FOP has a more first-hand kind of a story than Mission: Space. Mission: Space tells you that you're just training in a centrifuge and you're not really going to Mars. FOP tells guests that they will actually inhabit an Avatar and experience everything in reality, first-hand. The queue even emphasizes this, as seen in footage here from The DIS:

IMG_9895.jpg

"A Link Feels Real Because It Is!"

Bairstow

I would agree that FOP has a more first-hand kind of a story than Mission: Space. Mission: Space tells you that you're just training in a centrifuge and you're not really going to Mars.

Not even!
Mission:Space tells you that you're simulating what a simulation of "real" training for astronauts going Mars is like.
...but you're not even simulating simulation training. The controls do nothing and you can't fail or influence your experience in any way.
...and you're not actually at the "International Space Training Center". You're just on a Disney ride at Epcot.
So it's a simulation of a simulation of a simulation of a simulation of a flight to Mars.
It's completely absurd.

Bairstow

Please don't tell me the walkway bioluminescence is splatters of UV reactive paint illuminated by masterfully placed black lights? I was hoping for walkways that had some fiber optic /reactive effect.

I can't tell for certain from the videos but there's no visible purple glare from overhead UV lighting. The walkways are almost certainly lit from within/below, but how is a good question. Epcot has those fiber optic sidewalks but we've had over 20 years of advances in lighting technology since then. I'm guessing maybe embedded electroluminescent panels or tape. That or maybe an array of embedded LEDs, but EL panels would be simpler and give off that familiar blue/green glow.

Edit: seeing some other photos from other sources, it looks like some of the effects are indeed just scattered paint and uv light.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Please don't tell me the walkway bioluminescence is splatters of UV reactive paint illuminated by masterfully placed black lights? I was hoping for walkways that had some fiber optic /reactive effect.

No one can tell you because Rohde himself is emphasizing it's not completed yet. Until it is 100% installed, we don't know what it can or can't do.

Bairstow

Notably lacking in these videos of nighttime pandora is barriers between the path and these plant areas.

Given the stupid's eagerness to climb onto stuff for photo taking (see nemo figures at living seas for instance), anyone else worried about people trying to get all clise and personal with these sets?

Yep. I'm sure a lot of people are going to try to reach down and rip up some of the smaller glowing plants as souvenirs, not be able to, and start kicking them in frustration. I hope whoever designed these things anticipated that. Thick translucent resin embedded in reinforced concrete?.

Cesar R M

The shaman video was added a few hours ago and finally managed to see it, that thing is insane.. how fluid it moves!

I just really hope that they keep the maintenance on it. It will be seriously shameful if we ever get to see another Yeti.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom