1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'AVATAR Land' started by wdwmagic, Sep 21, 2011.

1. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Administrator Moderator

This thread is for discussion of specific elements of the AVATAR project. Attraction possibilities, locations, budgets, timescales etc.

IT IS NOT FOR DISCUSSING WHETHER YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE WITH THE PROJECT. That thread can be found here http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=803695

Any off-topic posts will be removed. Thanks for your help in making this a useful thread.

2. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Original Poster Administrator Moderator

3. misterID

misterID Well-Known Member

Entertainment.... I wonder if this means there will be shows. I'm thinking a 4D short film would be very cool.

4. Pumbas Nakasak

Pumbas Nakasak Heading for the great escape.

Bloke with a banjo playing blue grass

Daniel Johnson and MOXOMUMD like this.
  5. KevinYee

KevinYee Well-Known Member

I predict a large indoor presence, like you see at DisneySea's Mermaid Lagoon. Pandora sparkles at night, via bioluminisence, so I hope they find a way to make that part of Pandora a walkthrough (and not a ride).

People want to LUXURIATE in the themed environment, not see it at warp speed.

Plus, DAK has lacked air conditioning from Day One. If Pandora were all indoors, it would easily be the most crowded part of the park.

ItlngrlBella likes this.
  6. _Scar

_Scar Active Member

I predict Avatar face characters (almost a given) and a giant AA of the dragon/flying creature featured as the pet (or w/e you want to call it) of Sully like in DLRP underneath the castle.

7. misterID

misterID Well-Known Member

An indoor alien rainforest would be pretty cool.

ItlngrlBella and Daniel Johnson like this.
  8. Did Knee

Did Knee Active Member

This is all about the immersive environment, and I am sure that is how
    WDI will look at it. To me there were 3 compelling environments in Avatar.
    1. The forest floor - Several people here have already posted about how they want to walk among the luminescent plants
    2. The forest canopy - I recall a scene where he jumps for a vine or something and bounces down to the ground over branches and huge leaves
    3. The Floating mountains - Someone said it reminded them of an old album cover by the group YES, and agree...I spent a lot of time staring at that cover art.
    WDI needs to work in all 3 of these, they will be the backgrounds for whatever attractions come out of their efforts.

9. wdwmagic

10. hakunamatata

hakunamatata Game over, man. RIP. Premium Member

One of the big questions I have is how does Imagineering pull off the night time illuminated aspect of the Panodoran environment. Everything for the most part has a glowing component. This would be next to impossible to implement on a large scale. My thoughts are that a large portion of the "land" is going to be base camp themed. You will then go on expeditions (attractions) within the land. One of the attractions will be based on the night time environment that will allow it to be indoors and highly illuminated. :shrug:

11. _Scar

_Scar Active Member

I don't think it will be that hard to do. Some plants will be LED lights mixed with normal plants. I'd also suspect there'd be light shows in the water reminiscent of Pixie Hollow at Disneyland.

Weather_Lady likes this.
  12. CrescentLake

CrescentLake Well-Known Member

Something interesting to speculate about is whether or not this will lead to a World of Color format nighttime show. I think it depends largely on the location of the expansion, but you gotta think that with something this major, they're going to want to have people to have every incentive to stay past dark.

Am I the only one who's cautiously optimistic about a potential nighttime show?

13. montyz81

montyz81 Well-Known Member

An Avatar themed night show since AK is the only park without one and Avatar looks better at night.

14. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

I can see a state of the art exciting family ride with thrills using a revolutionary ride system. And probably a C or D too.

Gotta keep up with the neighbours ;-)

15. PuertoRekinSam

PuertoRekinSam Active Member

I dont know why my mind went here: but I wonder if this will be the first land to not get holiday decorations in December. I don't see Christmas being celebrated on Pandora.

Crazydisneyfanluke likes this.
  16. KevinYee

KevinYee Well-Known Member

17. JustInTime

JustInTime Well-Known Member

World of Pandora, a world of color style show. Or aquarium or dark ride based on Avatars oceans

18. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Well-Known Member

I'm watching Avatar as I am typing this... With technology for video being as it is, I wonder if Disney will come up with a way for us, the guest, to have our own Avatar, in our image, like in the movie... The avatar of the Na'vi that the humans control resemble the person controlling it... Since Sony and Microsoft, with the Playstation Eye and what ever it isw Xbox uses, have cameras that can capture your image and put your imagine into certain video games, I wonder if this is technology Disney will use in this land and ride...

wdisney9000 likes this.
  19. wdwmagic

I think the possibility of incorporating World of Color type effects here is enormous.

20. hakunamatata

hakunamatata Game over, man. RIP. Premium Member

It would be nice to have a night time show at DAK. I have not seen world of colors, but Im assuming that it does not use any loud pyrotechnics or significantly loud music?