A Spirited Valentine ...

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I know I have said it in other threads, but I HATE the IKEA look of the 'new' Copper Creek Villas at What Used To Be Disney's Wilderness Lodge. What turds. Truly. ... I have no idea what they were thinking. The resort is themed to NP Lodges and the absurd -- and likely quite costly -- convoluted new backstory by WDI is absurd and obscene to people who have loved the resort since 1994. People whine about the Poly's fountain -- and that was bad. But this is so many times worse.

In no way does this fit the resort or the theme. You could be almost anywhere with the decor of these rooms. I know it won't stop massive sales by the rubes (who still don't know the new resort near CBR coming).

Yeah. I wanted to rent points to stay here in the future, until I saw the insides. The whole development had more character as a tree line.

asianway

People have been saying that the new DLP Illuminations show, that premiered tonight, is really 95% SDL's Ignite the Dream.

I'm not sure why they are surprised.

Much like having the MK's dragon as the highlight of their 25th anniversary parade. Or having Star Tours 2.0 and Hyperspace Mountain as the big 'additions'.

It's not that Disney is doing the 25th 'on the cheap' ... rather so much is being spent on making the place look sparkling, instead of neglected, that there just wasn't money allotted to do things the right way.
But there's going to be a lot of foam heads...

Rodan75

Did you happen to notice that SDL is now charging for FP's (if you want to insure you'll have them)?

This is partially due to their inability to prevent people from selling them in the parks. They are also having a major issue with people coming in and selling all kinds of cheap Disney and knockoff merchandise in the park itself. And it doesn't appear that Philippe Gas and Co are getting much cooperation from their 'partners' to shut down these businesses.

The cost is sorta insane. I looked at them for my upcoming visit and it is basically $22 for ONE anytime FP on any FP attraction. And to have one go on every FP attraction is more pricey than the actual park ticket.

So, no, this isn't the answer at all.

It is crazy expensive, but similar to what Six Flags and Universal do with their systems. I hope this doesn't create any domestic ideas.

TalkingHead

UNI is running a local campaign now with kids in the 8-12 range talking about how 'Now, I'm ready."
I think that is Comcast admitting that our parks really are not good for young kids and even a lot of tweens.

Having now seen WDW's newish nighttime shows and realizing the Wishes replacement is coming soon, it occurs to me that Universal completely squandered the golden opportunity to devise a nighttime show that could've generated word-of-mouth and would've been competing with the older, stale WDW products. Another example of UOR's lack of foresight, IMO.

You mention the ad campaign has the "Now, I'm ready" theme. There's no question that Universal's parks have generally improved over the past fifteen years, but it's equally amazing that they haven't been able to diversify their message. It still boils down to "tougher than Disney."

The entertainment at the Universal parks is surprisingly pretty weak, but why they haven't swung for the fences for a nighttime show at IOA is beyond me. The Studios park has a modest night show, but it's nothing worth seeking out and isn't impressive. The Studios park layout seems terrible for a cohesive show, but IOA also seems tailor-made for one. I know there were rumors a few years ago that IOA was being looked at for one, but nothing materialized.

I've read that they want people to spend nights at CityWalk instead of in the theme parks; Volcano Bay will evidently operate into the evening in order to keep people in the park later. I'd love to read an explanation for why outside of Horror Nights they just write off the two theme parks at night.

mickeyfan5534

People have been saying that the new DLP Illuminations show, that premiered tonight, is really 95% SDL's Ignite the Dream.
I would have been ok with even 50% Ignite the Dream. A near 1:1 clone of a nighttime spectacular (the worst one too) for a major celebration like 25 is inexcusable and I can not believe that Disney couldn't set aside some cash to make a new show.

Sped2424

No, I never got an email from WDW announcing Pandoran Previews either.

Yes, I am a bit angry. Even though I wouldn't likely be able to attend.

I do think and feel entitled as someone who has had an AP since 1982-83 that myself (and all others like me) should always get first crack at things like this. It's called loyalty to your whales or manatees. It's a concept that Disney absolutely doesn't get.
And here's the thing that drives me nuts about this there was no prior notice? If Disney had simply set up a date and say go here to register I wouldn't have an issue. But random emails at 9 in the morning on a friday? Stupid.

Sped2424

I saw one site this week showed a UNI patent for a 'puzzle theater' ... just an FYI but that was for the main Zelda attraction for Nintendo Land (or whatever they will call it). Last I heard, it was not going to be built. But maybe it will be a Phase II deal or maybe it will be used for other properties. I've just seen the mockup for Zelda.
I imagine with the massive success of the Switch and Zelda Breath of the Wild they would want to capitalize on a phase 2 of Zelda.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
And here's the thing that drives me nuts about this there was no prior notice? If Disney had simply set up a date and say go here to register I wouldn't have an issue. But random emails at 9 in the morning on a friday? Stupid.

What drives me nuts is they can't get a damn email/IT system that actually allows them to have an accurate email distribution list for ALL AP holders. For example, my wife gets the emails - I do not. Signed up for AP's at the same time/place and everything is correct in both MDE accounts.

On top of that my magnet came in the mail addressed to "the parents of X" with my first name and my wife's maiden name as my last name. Oh, and my wife's name was wrong on her magnet mail as well. I guess I should be happy we actually got the magnet.

Absimilliard

I saw someone brought Eddie Sotto's last thread back from the dead (whatever happened to that supposed book he was penning with former blogger/D23 grunt from the hicks, Michael Crawford?) and was talking about Tony Baxter as he has been trotted out for DLP's 25th, which is appropriate.

I do have issues with people deifying the man, though. Having personal friends that he threw under the monorail -- and not for any good reason and his immaturity and personal demons will always cloud him to me, despite the fact that he was a very good Imagineer. I suppose I should just be happy that after meeting me for the first time six times in a row (and all in professional settings, no fanbois looking for autographs and photos and stories of Discovery Bay) he now knows who I am when he sees me.

Never met the man, but he sounds like someone who has been living off his past and unable now to do something creative. Beside Main Street at DLP, what exactly has he done?

Regarding Tony Baxter, did you ever read Rolly Crumb book? It is full of nice stories, but I am not sure if he is a fan of Tony Baxter based on one story he tells about him. Basically, he says that Tony Baxter stole the idea for a New Fantasyland from a fellow employee and took full credit for it. Basically, he says that the lady, who worked in the drafting department of WDI, had a great idea to redo Fantasyland at Disneyland on a tight budget. Rolly Crumb arranged the meeting with the higher-ups and turns out it was perfect. Next, Tony Baxter comes in and "wanted to work with her on it". In Rolly Crumb's own word: "He didn't work with her; he took it away from her and made it his own!". Even in 1982, he had serious reservations about management and he again quit Disney due to that. It is only one side of the story, but in a way, what happened to Tony Baxter later in his career is what he did to that lady coming back to haunt him. Who knows what she could have done had she been allowed to take credit and come up with other great ideas?

Mike S

UNI is running a local campaign now with kids in the 8-12 range talking about how 'Now, I'm ready."
I think that is Comcast admitting that our parks really are not good for young kids and even a lot of tweens.
Not even Nintendo, the company that loves including kids in their appeal?
I imagine with the massive success of the Switch and Zelda Breath of the Wild they would want to capitalize on a phase 2 of Zelda.
If they went with Breath of the Wild it absolutely needs AA Guardians. Those things are completely stress inducing, at least until you learn how to parry their laser beams back at them ;)

RandySavage

Never met the man, but he sounds like someone who has been living off his past and unable now to do something creative. Beside Main Street at DLP, what exactly has he done?
You couldn't be more wrong. Eddie probably gets more mainstream press than any other ex-WDI about his current, post-Disney work (luxury airplane designs, mainly). He was VP at WDI and portfolio leader for TDR in the 90s (i.e., Hunny Hunt). Not only can he do it all design-wise, after leaving the Company, he had the unbelievable generosity to give the public all those stories and insights on this forum, in the most courteous manner. He's a genius when it comes to themed design theory (go read his thread and you'll see why).

Eddie Sotto is the Man.

Absimilliard

You couldn't be more wrong. Eddie probably gets more mainstream press than any other ex-WDI about his current, post-Disney work (luxury airplane designs, mainly). He was VP at WDI and portfolio leader for TDR in the 90s (i.e., Hunny Hunt). Not only can he do it all design-wise, after leaving the Company, he had the unbelievable generosity to give the public all those stories and insights on this forum, in the most courteous manner. He's a genius when it comes to themed design theory (go read his thread and you'll see why).

Eddie Sotto is the Man.

The more interesting people are always the ones working UNDER the celebrity imagineers. Anyone here remember who was the lead on say Journey to the Center of the Earth? How about the people who did the effects of Mt. Prometheus? Who created the amazing ride system for Soarin? I once sat under the proverbial "learning tree" at a conference with a few of the ex WDI people who brought TDS to life and it was amazing. The funniest story was how one was canned by WDI after TDS opened... only to be brought in as a consultant to bring the mirror of their Fantasmic to life.

The one ex Imagineer I want to meet is Tim Delaney and it is something I am trying to get done.

GiveMeTheMusic

Did you happen to notice that SDL is now charging for FP's (if you want to insure you'll have them)?

This is partially due to their inability to prevent people from selling them in the parks. They are also having a major issue with people coming in and selling all kinds of cheap Disney and knockoff merchandise in the park itself. And it doesn't appear that Philippe Gas and Co are getting much cooperation from their 'partners' to shut down these businesses.

The cost is sorta insane. I looked at them for my upcoming visit and it is basically $22 for ONE anytime FP on any FP attraction. And to have one go on every FP attraction is more pricey than the actual park ticket.

So, no, this isn't the answer at all.

SDL security CMs are all but useless. They stand and watch while people sell janky homemade mouse ears out of their jacket pockets "you wanna buy a watch?" style. There are hawkers on the walkway from parking, there are hawkers in the bag check lines, there are hawkers on the streets of the park and there are hawkers in the Pirates queue. It's baffling.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think @RSoxNo1 needs to track your predictions on his website!

I'm still waiting on China to steal SDL and am incredibly disappointed that Disney thinks it's opening Star Wars in 2019 and not 2 thousand and never.

With China threatening war with the US/NATO over the freedom of navigation exercises in the South China Sea, you may actually get to see CCP 'Nationalize' US assets in China as a first step, As to SWL yeah it will open in 2019 in ANAHEIM, WDW - It will eventually open but not in 2019. I for one am glad I have no China visits scheduled so far this year.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
SDL security CMs are all but useless. They stand and watch while people sell janky homemade mouse ears out of their jacket pockets "you wanna buy a watch?" style. There are hawkers on the walkway from parking, there are hawkers in the bag check lines, there are hawkers on the streets of the park and there are hawkers in the Pirates queue. It's baffling.

Man it's CHINA that's how things are DONE over there get used to it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Not so random - the emails were targeted to those who would give a social media boost to Disney.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No, I never got an email from WDW announcing Pandoran Previews either.

Yes, I am a bit angry. Even though I wouldn't likely be able to attend.

I do think and feel entitled as someone who has had an AP since 1982-83 that myself (and all others like me) should always get first crack at things like this. It's called loyalty to your whales or manatees. It's a concept that Disney absolutely doesn't get.

As someone who has 800 DVC points, well I would have expected an email as well but none showed up (you ALWAYS reward your most loyal customers), My thought is that Disney is using the big data capability to target those most likely to give them glowing social media buzz because I got a few breathless emails from friends who are NEW DVC members and AP holders asking whether I got the offer and they are making as special short visit just to see. I demurred and said have a great time

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom