A Spirited Valentine ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
he nailed Pandora would never open 2/3 years ago

Tell the WHOLE story, That was predicated on Iger leaving Disney in 2015 as originally planned, And what happens when a CEO leaves, Why yes his vanity projects come to a stop. With Iger still here it's no great surprise that blue cat people land is opening as it's his WDW vanity project.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Having now seen WDW's newish nighttime shows and realizing the Wishes replacement is coming soon, it occurs to me that Universal completely squandered the golden opportunity to devise a nighttime show that could've generated word-of-mouth and would've been competing with the older, stale WDW products. Another example of UOR's lack of foresight, IMO.

You mention the ad campaign has the "Now, I'm ready" theme. There's no question that Universal's parks have generally improved over the past fifteen years, but it's equally amazing that they haven't been able to diversify their message. It still boils down to "tougher than Disney."

The entertainment at the Universal parks is surprisingly pretty weak, but why they haven't swung for the fences for a nighttime show at IOA is beyond me. The Studios park has a modest night show, but it's nothing worth seeking out and isn't impressive. The Studios park layout seems terrible for a cohesive show, but IOA also seems tailor-made for one. I know there were rumors a few years ago that IOA was being looked at for one, but nothing materialized.

I've read that they want people to spend nights at CityWalk instead of in the theme parks; Volcano Bay will evidently operate into the evening in order to keep people in the park later. I'd love to read an explanation for why outside of Horror Nights they just write off the two theme parks at night.

I'm guessing here but the UO parks are not really set up for nighttime operations because parts of them are REALLY dark at night.

peter11435

Tell the WHOLE story, That was predicated on Iger leaving Disney in 2015 as originally planned, And what happens when a CEO leaves, Why yes his vanity projects come to a stop. With Iger still here it's no great surprise that blue cat people land is opening as it's his WDW vanity project.
Will that be your same excuse when Star Wars land actually does open in Florida.

Mike S

SDL security CMs are all but useless. They stand and watch while people sell janky homemade mouse ears out of their jacket pockets "you wanna buy a watch?" style. There are hawkers on the walkway from parking, there are hawkers in the bag check lines, there are hawkers on the streets of the park and there are hawkers in the Pirates queue. It's baffling.
I think you're severely mistaken. They're all confused CMs who were told to do M&Gs as the Hercules sundial guy.

Kman101

As someone who has 800 DVC points, well I would have expected an email as well but none showed up (you ALWAYS reward your most loyal customers), My thought is that Disney is using the big data capability to target those most likely to give them glowing social media buzz because I got a few breathless emails from friends who are NEW DVC members and AP holders asking whether I got the offer and they are making as special short visit just to see. I demurred and said have a great time

Their emailing practices are very suspect. Still waiting on that e-mail ;)

BrianLo

Star Wars and Shanghai were his vanity projects. Pandora was much more Stagg's baby. Who did leave and yet things continued on.

In December 2015 the project was 2 years deep in construction. Show buildings were fully enclosed, all the structural steel for the floating mountains were in place and the first prefabbed mountain was installed.

You truly believe any predecessor would arrive on scene and tell them to stop and knock it down? Wait, maybe don't answer that. I actually do really enjoy your style. While ridiculous no one can say you aren't marching to your own drum.

I highly anticipate your opinion on the thing when it does open. If you actually mildly like it I expect the universe to collapse in on itself!

Sonconato

Never met the man, but he sounds like someone who has been living off his past and unable now to do something creative. Beside Main Street at DLP, what exactly has he done?

Regarding Tony Baxter, did you ever read Rolly Crumb book? It is full of nice stories, but I am not sure if he is a fan of Tony Baxter based on one story he tells about him. Basically, he says that Tony Baxter stole the idea for a New Fantasyland from a fellow employee and took full credit for it. Basically, he says that the lady, who worked in the drafting department of WDI, had a great idea to redo Fantasyland at Disneyland on a tight budget. Rolly Crumb arranged the meeting with the higher-ups and turns out it was perfect. Next, Tony Baxter comes in and "wanted to work with her on it". In Rolly Crumb's own word: "He didn't work with her; he took it away from her and made it his own!". Even in 1982, he had serious reservations about management and he again quit Disney due to that. It is only one side of the story, but in a way, what happened to Tony Baxter later in his career is what he did to that lady coming back to haunt him. Who knows what she could have done had she been allowed to take credit and come up with other great ideas?
Ah, the great Rolly Crumb.
crump crumb.JPG

RSoxNo1

No, I never got an email from WDW announcing Pandoran Previews either.

Yes, I am a bit angry. Even though I wouldn't likely be able to attend.

I do think and feel entitled as someone who has had an AP since 1982-83 that myself (and all others like me) should always get first crack at things like this. It's called loyalty to your whales or manatees. It's a concept that Disney absolutely doesn't get.
I didn't get one either.

ParentsOf4

;)

Because Disney has been known to lie. LOL
Because Disney has been known to be overcome by events. ;)

Having a fairly complete run of annual reports since 1972, there have been a number of officially announced plans that were changed or cancelled.

This is why it's dangerous to put too much faith in rumors. Even officially announced plans change, never mind rumors. :p

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Because Disney has been known to be overcome by events. ;)

Having a fairly complete run of annual reports since 1972, there have been a number of officially announced plans that were changed or cancelled.

This is why it's dangerous to put too much faith in rumors. Even officially announced plans change, never mind rumors. :p
But I need to plan my vacation around it......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom