1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

A Spirited Valentine ...

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by WDW1974, Feb 11, 2017.

  1. flynnibus

    flynnibus Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Messages:
    15,627
    Likes Received:
    31,536
    No, that's not what your article says. The 85.8% number is a percentage WITHIN the DVC inventory.. not the whole Poly Resort.
    http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...olynesian-villas-bungalows?utm_source=dlvr.it

    "
    Including this latest declaration, 16 bungalows and 312 studios have now been added to the DVC inventory. This accounts for 3,460,724 points, or 85.8% of the Polynesian’s 4,032,720 total points. There are four bungalows and 48 studios that have not yet been declared for the DVC inventory.

    This declaration gives DVC members access to more rooms at the Polynesian. For every Use Day, 85.8% of the resort can be booked using DVC points; the remaining 14.2% is still owned and controlled by Disney, which can use it for cash reservations or other ways it desires."

    This is talking about how much of the total DVC inventory has been released to sales/use. It's not talking about DVC vs remainder of Poly property.
     
  2. PorterRedkey

    PorterRedkey Premium Member

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,340
    Likes Received:
    3,204
    I loved this touch when we stayed at Cabana Bay. The resort was the second-best thing at USF for me and my wife (behind Potter).
     
    thehowiet, brb1006, Mike S and 2 others like this.
  3. The_Jobu

    The_Jobu Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2016
    Messages:
    771
    Likes Received:
    2,068
    "I want to go to France and Italy!"
    "... like EPCOT?"

    It's scary. My GF and I have had this exact conversation.
     
  4. kpilcher

    kpilcher Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2002
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    413
    I'm not at all saying you're wrong.. but why would DVC not control 100% of DVC inventory??
    Also...as you quoted: "For every Use Day, 85.8% of the resort can be booked using DVC points; the remaining 14.2% is still owned and controlled by Disney" Please help unconfuse me.
     
  5. flynnibus

    flynnibus Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Messages:
    15,627
    Likes Received:
    31,536
    Because the # of points defined for the property are set up front... the # of rooms actually in circulation is ramped up over time. You are reading too much into the wording 'controlled by DVC' - it's all DVC (eventually). They are referring to the points.
     
    DDLand likes this.
  6. WDWTank

    WDWTank Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2016
    Messages:
    166
    Likes Received:
    288
    Why is Disney focused only on characters these days? I do not pay $150+ to ride grocery store aisles....
     
    ford91exploder likes this.
  7. WDWTank

    WDWTank Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2016
    Messages:
    166
    Likes Received:
    288
    Totally :)
    They need to stop shoe-horning marketing executives into careers designed for themed entertainment ;)
     
  8. HMF

    HMF Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2008
    Messages:
    6,571
    Likes Received:
    7,127
    That's what the Bobs see them as, so.
     
    Mike S and ford91exploder like this.
  9. MisterPenguin

    MisterPenguin Premium Member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2016
    Messages:
    2,769
    Likes Received:
    9,640
    Then you can go to any old generic theme park, right?

    "Hey, Billie, wanna go to Theme Park Land? You can get your picture taken with a random costumed mammal! You can go on several boat or slow track rides featuring animatronic characters you've never heard of! You can ride a coaster or two!"

    "You mean, like the local Six Flags?"

    "Sure, why not."
     
    ford91exploder and brb1006 like this.
  10. lazyboy97o

    lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2009
    Messages:
    16,257
    Likes Received:
    31,527
    Then why isn't Mickey Mouse in Beauty and the Beast? Isn't Belle just some random girl if she isn't 'played' by Minnie?
     
  11. MisterPenguin

    MisterPenguin Premium Member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2016
    Messages:
    2,769
    Likes Received:
    9,640
    We're talking about IPs in the park. Not IPs in IPs.
     
    WDWTank likes this.
  12. TalkingHead

    TalkingHead Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2008
    Messages:
    2,517
    Likes Received:
    7,417
    Both of you are missing the bigger point: why would Disney care that Rivers of Light doesn't test well with pre-K'ers? It's not as if the park caters to their age range - nearly every ride has a height requirement or a scare factor with the exception of Safari and the shows.

    Maybe the "Disney cares what pre-K kids think of Rivers of Light" rumor is groundless, or maybe Disney can't see the forest for the trees. Beats me which it is.
     
    Kman101, thehowiet and HMF like this.
  13. lazyboy97o

    lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2009
    Messages:
    16,257
    Likes Received:
    31,527
    IP is not synonymous with film. The idea that themed entertainment has to follow film has nothing to do with the nature of intellectual property. It is "IPs in IPs" and it is nonsensical that theme parks need to copy film to somehow be understood and accepted.
     
  14. Angel Ariel

    Angel Ariel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2017
    Messages:
    506
    Likes Received:
    684
    Actually, I understood your point quite well. And my point is that while the headliners may not cater to their age range, there is certainly *plenty* for them to do in the park. Disney's main demographic is families with children (many of them younger children). They've wanted AK to be more than a half day park for a while, to pull the strain off of MK in the evenings (or so I read). They're not pulling strain off MK at all if there's nothing for the preK age at Animal Kingdom after dark (which, we'd all agree, they are lacking for that age range *at night*). It'll take more than a well-testing ROL to accomplish that, though.
     
    ford91exploder likes this.
  15. NearTheEars

    NearTheEars Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2013
    Messages:
    1,856
    Likes Received:
    4,359
    That's pretty spot on.
     
    CanadianGordon and Mike S like this.
  16. kpilcher

    kpilcher Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2002
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    413
    Well, thanks!! I always appreciate when I can learn something!
     
    flynnibus likes this.
  17. Tahu

    Tahu Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2003
    Messages:
    7,033
    Likes Received:
    12,978
    Not to mention that park attractions are more then capable of becoming IPs unto themselves. Untapped franchise potential abound in the various original attractions.
     
    Kman101 and DDLand like this.
  18. Cosmic Commando

    Cosmic Commando Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2010
    Messages:
    4,109
    Likes Received:
    5,807
    The "resort" that they're talking about is not the Poly like we're used to thinking of it. The regular old Poly has had part of it disappear and is called Disney's Polynesian Village Resort. The resort that they're talking about is Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, which is just the DVC part, legally separate from the old Poly. It happens all over where there is DVC metastasized to an existing resort. The Wilderness Lodge, the Boulder Ridge Villas, and the Copper Creek Villas are each their own, separate "resort", for example.
     
    thehowiet, HauntedPirate and kpilcher like this.
  19. asianway

    asianway Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2006
    Messages:
    6,594
    Likes Received:
    13,502
    The bottom line is who pays to operate the room and who is eligible to occupy it. The 14% is DVDs responsibility to bear all costs, and rent all the rooms.

    There are several cost advantages to slowly deeding the points to the condo
     
    ford91exploder likes this.
  20. lazyboy97o

    lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2009
    Messages:
    16,257
    Likes Received:
    31,527
    Emphasis added. You actually do exactly what I'm refuting. Something becomes intellectual property when it is created. It is not some higher status that things attain, namely by becoming a film.
     

Share This Page