1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

A Spirited Valentine ...

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by WDW1974, Feb 11, 2017.

1. flynnibus

flynnibus Well-Known Member

No, that's not what your article says. The 85.8% number is a percentage WITHIN the DVC inventory.. not the whole Poly Resort.
    http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...olynesian-villas-bungalows?utm_source=dlvr.it

"
    Including this latest declaration, 16 bungalows and 312 studios have now been added to the DVC inventory. This accounts for 3,460,724 points, or 85.8% of the Polynesian’s 4,032,720 total points. There are four bungalows and 48 studios that have not yet been declared for the DVC inventory.

This declaration gives DVC members access to more rooms at the Polynesian. For every Use Day, 85.8% of the resort can be booked using DVC points; the remaining 14.2% is still owned and controlled by Disney, which can use it for cash reservations or other ways it desires."

This is talking about how much of the total DVC inventory has been released to sales/use. It's not talking about DVC vs remainder of Poly property.

2. PorterRedkey

PorterRedkey Premium Member

I loved this touch when we stayed at Cabana Bay. The resort was the second-best thing at USF for me and my wife (behind Potter).

thehowiet, brb1006, Mike S and 2 others like this.
  3. The_Jobu

The_Jobu Well-Known Member

"I want to go to France and Italy!"
    "... like EPCOT?"

It's scary. My GF and I have had this exact conversation.

4. kpilcher

kpilcher Well-Known Member

I'm not at all saying you're wrong.. but why would DVC not control 100% of DVC inventory??
    Also...as you quoted: "For every Use Day, 85.8% of the resort can be booked using DVC points; the remaining 14.2% is still owned and controlled by Disney" Please help unconfuse me.

5. flynnibus

flynnibus Well-Known Member

Because the # of points defined for the property are set up front... the # of rooms actually in circulation is ramped up over time. You are reading too much into the wording 'controlled by DVC' - it's all DVC (eventually). They are referring to the points.

DDLand likes this.
  6. WDWTank

WDWTank Well-Known Member

Why is Disney focused only on characters these days? I do not pay $150+ to ride grocery store aisles....

ford91exploder likes this.
  7. WDWTank

WDWTank Well-Known Member

Totally :)
    They need to stop shoe-horning marketing executives into careers designed for themed entertainment ;)

8. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

That's what the Bobs see them as, so.

Mike S and ford91exploder like this.
  9. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

Then you can go to any old generic theme park, right?

"Hey, Billie, wanna go to Theme Park Land? You can get your picture taken with a random costumed mammal! You can go on several boat or slow track rides featuring animatronic characters you've never heard of! You can ride a coaster or two!"

"You mean, like the local Six Flags?"

"Sure, why not."

ford91exploder and brb1006 like this.
  10. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Then why isn't Mickey Mouse in Beauty and the Beast? Isn't Belle just some random girl if she isn't 'played' by Minnie?

11. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

We're talking about IPs in the park. Not IPs in IPs.

WDWTank likes this.
  12. TalkingHead

TalkingHead Well-Known Member

Both of you are missing the bigger point: why would Disney care that Rivers of Light doesn't test well with pre-K'ers? It's not as if the park caters to their age range - nearly every ride has a height requirement or a scare factor with the exception of Safari and the shows.

Maybe the "Disney cares what pre-K kids think of Rivers of Light" rumor is groundless, or maybe Disney can't see the forest for the trees. Beats me which it is.

Kman101, thehowiet and HMF like this.
  13. lazyboy97o

IP is not synonymous with film. The idea that themed entertainment has to follow film has nothing to do with the nature of intellectual property. It is "IPs in IPs" and it is nonsensical that theme parks need to copy film to somehow be understood and accepted.

14. Angel Ariel

Angel Ariel Well-Known Member

Actually, I understood your point quite well. And my point is that while the headliners may not cater to their age range, there is certainly *plenty* for them to do in the park. Disney's main demographic is families with children (many of them younger children). They've wanted AK to be more than a half day park for a while, to pull the strain off of MK in the evenings (or so I read). They're not pulling strain off MK at all if there's nothing for the preK age at Animal Kingdom after dark (which, we'd all agree, they are lacking for that age range *at night*). It'll take more than a well-testing ROL to accomplish that, though.

15. NearTheEars

NearTheEars Well-Known Member

That's pretty spot on.

CanadianGordon and Mike S like this.
  16. kpilcher

kpilcher Well-Known Member

Well, thanks!! I always appreciate when I can learn something!

flynnibus likes this.
  17. Tahu

Tahu Well-Known Member

Not to mention that park attractions are more then capable of becoming IPs unto themselves. Untapped franchise potential abound in the various original attractions.

Kman101 and DDLand like this.
  18. Cosmic Commando

Cosmic Commando Well-Known Member

The "resort" that they're talking about is not the Poly like we're used to thinking of it. The regular old Poly has had part of it disappear and is called Disney's Polynesian Village Resort. The resort that they're talking about is Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, which is just the DVC part, legally separate from the old Poly. It happens all over where there is DVC metastasized to an existing resort. The Wilderness Lodge, the Boulder Ridge Villas, and the Copper Creek Villas are each their own, separate "resort", for example.

thehowiet, HauntedPirate and kpilcher like this.
  19. asianway

asianway Well-Known Member

The bottom line is who pays to operate the room and who is eligible to occupy it. The 14% is DVDs responsibility to bear all costs, and rent all the rooms.

There are several cost advantages to slowly deeding the points to the condo

20. lazyboy97o

Emphasis added. You actually do exactly what I'm refuting. Something becomes intellectual property when it is created. It is not some higher status that things attain, namely by becoming a film.