A Spirited Perfect Ten

Funmeister

I fear for the lifestylers if Disneyworld ever got the blue bayou restaurant (the restaurant inside Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland). I can see the mess that ensues over reservations etc.

I liked your post at first in agreement and then the more I thought about it I have to disagree. FOr the most part DIsney Lifestylers spend the least amount of money as possible. They would be the ones walking around Be Our Guest taking pictures of everything. Sure that might be a bad example because it is still hard to get reservations there but it is not because of the lifestylers as much as it is the fact it is a popular restaurant in general. It would worry me if a WDW version of Blue Bayou was a non-reservations version where people could go in and just sit down...THEN you have a problem!!!!

doctornick

I fear for the lifestylers if Disneyworld ever got the blue bayou restaurant (the restaurant inside Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland). I can see the mess that ensues over reservations etc.

It's not like WDW doesn't already have restaurants that overlook rides (Garden Grill, San Angel Inn).

That said, it makes me think... Disney is probably missing out on an opportunity by not having a restaurant overlook the book ride in Pandora. That would probably be a very popular vista if you could see some bioluminescant fauna while you eat. I guess that might happen nonetheless, but indications are than any larger dining is going to be build to the north towards the path to Harambe rather than near the rides.

Funmeister

It's not like WDW doesn't already have restaurants that overlook rides (Garden Grill, San Angel Inn).

That said, it makes me think... Disney is probably missing out on an opportunity by not having a restaurant overlook the book ride in Pandora. That would probably be a very popular vista if you could see some bioluminescant fauna while you eat. I guess that might happen nonetheless, but indications are than any larger dining is going to be build to the north towards the path to Harambe rather than near the rides.

I'm sure that would really off Rainforest too if Avatar did offer a full service dining location. I think DAK is pretty set with full dining offerings at this time.

doctornick

I'm sure that would really **** off Rainforest too if Avatar did offer a full service dining location. I think DAK is pretty set with full dining offerings at this time.

The rumor has been that Pandora will have a "flex" restaurant that is QS during lunch and TS for dinner, like how BoG was originally set up.

DAK absolutely needs more table service restaurants if it is going to be open all day. Right now, it can get away with the minimal table service options (two a la carte and one buffet) because people tend to do table service for dinner more than lunch and most people are gone from DAK before dinner. But once RoL starts and you have guests at nighttime, you will need a lot more dining options.

Funmeister

If they want to make it a full day park and keep people there until night they need more than 3 table service restaurants.

True. I was speaking of the park as it currently exists and maybe with just the addition of Avatar. I was not including the other nighttime offerings. I anticipate high capacity dining experience(s) (think World Showcase Lagoon) around Discovery River to be added prior to or shortly after the new additions.

Funmeister

The rumor has been that Pandora will have a "flex" restaurant that is QS during lunch and TS for dinner, like how BoG was originally set up.

DAK absolutely needs more table service restaurants if it is going to be open all day. Right now, it can get away with the minimal table service options (two a la carte and one buffet) because people tend to do table service for dinner more than lunch and most people are gone from DAK before dinner. But once RoL starts and you have guests at nighttime, you will need a lot more dining options.

Yeah. I meant as the park stands now. I agree that additions need to be made once the expansion(s) open.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
True. I was speaking of the park as it currently exists and maybe with just the addition of Avatar. I was not including the other nighttime offerings. I anticipate high capacity dining experience(s) (think World Showcase Lagoon) around Discovery River to be added prior to or shortly after the new additions.
In thought there was a shot that Flame Tree would get converted to table service for dinner but now they are expanding it so maybe not.

I'd love to see a new dining option with views of the night show.

Funmeister

In thought there was a shot that Flame Tree would get converted to table service for dinner but now they are expanding it so maybe not.

I'd love to see a new dining option with views of the night show.

Once the show begins that square footage will quadruple in value (if not more). Expect it to be converted into full service fare.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Once the show begins that square footage will quadruple in value (if not more). Expect it to be converted into full service fare.
I don't know if it's even feasible, but if they could build something like this up in the trees in Asia that look down on the new show it would be a home run:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Captain Neo

Just came back from a WDW visit for the first time in 5 years and somehow the place has gotten even worse. Food quality has fallen across the board even Ohana did not taste as great as it used to and our waiter didn't even bother to bring over all of the meats we were supposed to get and seemed like they were in a big hurry to get rid of us. Where there once was unique menus at the counter service reastuarants at the different deluxe resorts there is now just a generic menu of flatbread pizzas, chicken nuggets, and bacon cheeseburgers that taste like crap. Gone are the days you could order a Shrimp platter at the Mara or a Chili or Chicken tender basket at the Wilderness Lodge. Definitely a low point of the trip.

I visited the Magic Kingdom on the last day and I went into shock when I saw what they did to the central hub area. Every tree and design feature seems to have been ripped out and its just a huge open concrete area with a basic fountain at either end when you enter. It didn't feel like I was in the MK anymore but rather in some giant outlet mall or shopping center.

Visited Epcot only to be reminded that nearly every single attraction has changed for the worse. The narration and video screens on Spaceship Earth are as annoying as ever, Ellen Degeneres is still dominating Universe of Energy, the boat ride in Mexico is now a mess without the heart and culture it once had, Norway will soon be more about a fictional city from a movie rather than about Norway's own traditions. Im surprised they haven't messed up The Land pavilion yet. Got to see the "new" test track and I will say its a small improvement over the generic original but it still lacks the show quality and presentation that World of Motion had. I also got to finally see Captain EO one last time. It was fun though that will be leaving next month to make one for a preview center for upcoming movies from now on. A shame because Eo still pulls in a decent crowd (probably more than the actual Imagination ride next door). Also, whats up with those weird odors in the Fountain view and on the Monorail?

On the positive side, Animal Kingdom is still enjoyable. Hopefully they do not remove that beautiful entry area with the intricate walkways and smaller animal exhibits. The Avatar construction project is huge and I'm interested in seeing the finished result. Hopefully it will be of the quality Disney attractions were in the 80s/early 90s and not underfunded like Dinosaur and Expedition Everest were. I also like the functionality of Mymagic+ It makes getting into the parks a lot easier. It used to be so frustrating waiting in long lines with all kinds of people having problems (just visit Disneyland or California Adventure on a busy day to see what I'm talking about).

Will post more thoughts later but overall I am not happy with the way WDW is being managed.

asianway

Just came back from a WDW visit for the first time in 5 years and somehow the place has gotten even worse. Food quality has fallen across the board even Ohana did not taste as great as it used to and our waiter didn't even bother to bring over all of the meats we were supposed to get and seemed like they were in a big hurry to get rid of us. Where there once was unique menus at the counter service reastuarants at the different deluxe resorts there is now just a generic menu of flatbread pizzas, chicken nuggets, and bacon cheeseburgers that taste like crap. Gone are the days you could order a Shrimp platter at the Mara or a Chili or Chicken tender basket at the Wilderness Lodge. Definitely a low point of the trip.

I visited the Magic Kingdom on the last day and I went into shock when I saw what they did to the central hub area. Every tree and design feature seems to have been ripped out and its just a huge open concrete area with a basic fountain at either end when you enter. It didn't feel like I was in the MK anymore but rather in some giant outlet mall or shopping center.

Visited Epcot only to be reminded that nearly every single attraction has changed for the worse. The narration and video screens on Spaceship Earth are as annoying as ever, Ellen Degeneres is still dominating Universe of Energy, the boat ride in Mexico is now a mess without the heart and culture it once had, Norway will soon be more about a fictional city from a movie rather than about Norway's own traditions. Im surprised they haven't messed up The Land pavilion yet. Got to see the "new" test track and I will say its a small improvement over the generic original but it still lacks the show quality and presentation that World of Motion had. I also got to finally see Captain EO one last time. It was fun though that will be leaving next month to make one for a preview center for upcoming movies from now on. A shame because Eo still pulls in a decent crowd (probably more than the actual Imagination ride next door). Also, whats up with those weird odors in the Fountain view and on the Monorail?

On the positive side, Animal Kingdom is still enjoyable. Hopefully they do not remove that beautiful entry area with the intricate walkways and smaller animal exhibits. The Avatar construction project is huge and I'm interested in seeing the finished result. Hopefully it will be of the quality Disney attractions were in the 80s/early 90s and not underfunded like Dinosaur and Expedition Everest were. I also like the functionality of Mymagic+ It makes getting into the parks a lot easier. It used to be so frustrating waiting in long lines with all kinds of people having problems (just visit Disneyland or California Adventure on a busy day to see what I'm talking about).

Will post more thoughts later but overall I am not happy with the way WDW is being managed.
I think Ohana is down to 3 meats

As far as the new hub my old pal Scarlett gave me the best reason to plan a visit to WDW based on the new design.

michmousefan

(Limited) Spirited Weekend Musings:
Did you see last night's very funny SNL hosted by The Rock? I loved the live action Bambi that Disney has coming out next year! Great stuff!!!
I was hoping for another "The Rock Obama" sketch and we got it right away in the cold open. Nice. And the live action Bambi landed squarely on the current trend to live-action the sh*t out of everything animated.

The Visionary Soul

You're alone on this feeling man. The Hub already looks better than it has in the last 10+ years since they removed the big trees.

PhotoDave219

(Limited) Spirited Weekend Musings:

Why limited? Because they're worth more ... ya know like those 5,000 'first day' Sam's tiki mugs.

No, I really don't have much to say about that because the whole 'Tikis Is Kewl' movement amongst Florida fanbois appears to be a very recent move over the past 4-6 years, much like the Orange Bird. I've always loved 'tiki culture' but it is a decidely west coast phenonemon in my travels that seems to have been 'borrowed' by the bois in the swamps. I guess it's fine ... who are they harming? (Likely no one beyond guests at the Poly who won't be able to get in past all the bloggers, podcasters and Lifestylers).

Task Angie gave me for the weekend: put tinfoil on my Mouse Ears and snap a pic or two (tasteful nudes, naturally!)

Oh, another Walking Dead blink and you'll miss it season is ending tonight. Well, just one less hour to occupy myself with.

To all of you folks who totally do not get the complexity of dealing with Chinese contractors, you know like Bob Iger, Tom Staggs and Chapie have to do in Shanghai, I'd read about the now twice delayed Baha Mar huge resort development on Paradise Island in the Bahamas. The Miami Herald had a piece the other day and there are others out there. That's for the 2.6 readers here who think Bob delayed the opening to 2016 to get a bounce from it.

Weather is so beautiful that I almost think I'm back in California. Then, I look around at the people ... and ... yeah.

Back to the Grog Grotto, having one potentially (because I haven't see it yet) cool bar does not in any way make up for the wholesale destruction of one of the classic parts of WDW. It's sad that fanboi Twits can't see that as they line up to eBay merchandise if they couldn't be there themsleves. Sorry, the thematics don't win out over the destruction.

So, another Spring Break season at WDW, another year with absolutely nothing new.

Did you see last night's very funny SNL hosted by The Rock? I loved the live action Bambi that Disney has coming out next year! Great stuff!!!

Sorry, but that's about it ... don't have time now and in the mood for fro-yo.

I remember that place being under construction the last time I was in Nassau. And it's a lot closer to the airport, its not on Paradise Island.... considering half of that is taken up by Atlantis.

Its not quite my cup of tea when it comes to vacation destinations. All of my years around Disney have left me longing for something a tad more European... and quieter.

RandySavage

Regarding the rumor of Star Wars Land replacing Disneyland's Toontown that was brought up here. I've been thinking about this since it surfaced and can't get my head around it on a purely financial or planning basis, so I have some questions:

-Why would Disney want to shutter a well-utilized area (capacity-wise), deal with the operational nightmare of its lost capacity for 3-5 years of demolition/construction in a park that is currently strained by its popularity?

-And why spend $0.5 billion (guess) on Star Wars Land when the added drawing power of that land could be compromised by the physical limitations of the small park in which it is set (the crowds it draws could overwhelm the park's infrastructure, becoming a serious deterrent)?

-If the goal is to increase attendance at DL, the same results could likely be achieved more manageably by replacing under-utilized attractions (e.g. Pooh, EO theater, Innoventions, Festival Stage) with new attractions piecemeal over the coming decade at probably half the cost of a Star Wars Land, and no loss of Toontown capacity.

-When the park across the esplanade draws half as many people as DL, why wouldn't all Star Wars (or whatever the next big park investment is) go to there. We know being California-related doesn't matter a lick.

It's not that I don't want to see Star Wars Land replace Toontown... if done well, I'd be fine with it. But it seems like an unusually expensive and difficult path for Staggs/Iger to take.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom