A Spirited Perfect Ten

Quinnmac000

I fear for the lifestylers if Disneyworld ever got the blue bayou restaurant (the restaurant inside Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland). I can see the mess that ensues over reservations etc.

Tigger1988

So guests who wait in lines at Disney World are "pathetic"? Because I don't see a huge difference between waiting 2 hours in a line to get into Sam's vs. waiting 2 hours in a line to ride Peter Pan.
Well, I wasn't referring to a 2 hour line once the doors had opened. People waiting prior to 8am for a bar that doesn't open til 4 could be categorized as pathetic. Those who walk around with mugs to try and "troll" them are even more pathetic.

I can't be bothered to care either way, was pointing out the irony of the original poster's comment about how LOL worthy the troll was. As if they were so much better than those spending their day on line.

ETA: Way to take my quote completely out of context from the original conversation and try and twist it into something I never said, though.

Last edited:

fillerup

Apparently the company that does the baggage handling for Disney's Magical Express (Aircraft Service International Group) is laying off 200+ people.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...agical-express-contractor-to-cut.html?ana=twt

Congratulations to some lazy hack typist (not a journalist) at Orlando Business Journal for telling half the story.

ASIG lost the baggage handling contract to another company Bags, Inc. which according to the O'Sentinel:

"According to sources close to the situation, it’s expected that Bags Inc. will rehire most or all of ASIG's former employees."

This wasn't a Disney layoff.

ParentsOf4

Congratulations to some lazy hack typist (not a journalist) at Orlando Business Journal for telling half the story.

ASIG lost the baggage handling contract to another company Bags, Inc. which according to the O'Sentinel:

"According to sources close to the situation, it’s expected that Bags Inc. will rehire most or all of ASIG's former employees."
Thanks for clarifying, that makes sense! :)

ParentsOf4

Third party contractor. Not sure if their contract is with Mears or Disney.
Thanks, yes, I realize they were jobs that Disney subcontracted. To clarify my earlier post, I was sarcastically suggesting that since WDW's hotel occupancy is up significantly in the most recent quarter, it makes no sense for the subcontractor to cut staff.

As @fillerup recently clarified, the company lost their contract with Disney. Sounds like another company landed the contract, meaning they might be hiring to take on the additional workload. The work is not being eliminated, just being shifted from one company to a competitor.

If this is the case, then I'm not impressed with "Anjali Fluker, Senior Staff Writer - Orlando Business Journal", who seems to have missed the most important part of the story.

"An election was held yesterday for President of the United States."

"Who won?"

"Oh, is that important?" :D

She then wrote another article the next day:

Disney’s Magical Express contractor explains Orlando job cuts

The former contractor handling bagging and transportation service for the Disney’s Magical Express said it lost a bid to keep this deal, which is why it's shedding jobs in Orlando.

Aircraft Service International Group on March 25 filed a Worker Adjustment & Retraining Notification with the state saying it will cut 204 transportation and warehousing jobs on May 31, Orlando Business Journal previously reported. Aircraft Service International Group reportedly lost the contract to Orlando-based Bags Inc., sources said.

The new company is expected to rehire the employees that will be laid off, Aircraft Service International said in a prepared statement.​

Yeah, that's kinda important.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. There Ya go.

the.dreamfinder

Thanks, yes, I realize they were jobs that Disney subcontracted. To clarify my earlier post, I was sarcastically suggesting that since WDW's hotel occupancy is up significantly in the most recent quarter, it makes no sense for the subcontractor to cut staff.

As @fillerup recently clarified, the company lost their contract with Disney. Sounds like another company landed the contact, meaning they might be hiring to take on the additional workload. The work is not being eliminated, just being shifted from one company to a competitor.

If this is the case, then I'm not impressed with "Anjali Fluker, Senior Staff Writer - Orlando Business Journal", who seems to have missed the most important part of the story.

"An election was held yesterday for President of the United States."

"Who won?"

"Oh, is that important?" :D

She then wrote another article the next day:

Disney’s Magical Express contractor explains Orlando job cuts

The former contractor handling bagging and transportation service for the Disney’s Magical Express said it lost a bid to keep this deal, which is why it's shedding jobs in Orlando.

Aircraft Service International Group on March 25 filed a Worker Adjustment & Retraining Notification with the state saying it will cut 204 transportation and warehousing jobs on May 31, Orlando Business Journal previously reported. Aircraft Service International Group reportedly lost the contract to Orlando-based Bags Inc., sources said.

The new company is expected to rehire the employees that will be laid off, Aircraft Service International said in a prepared statement.​

Yeah, that's kinda important.
That's what happens when journalists get paid less than managers at Burger King.

TalkingHead

How does the bartending at WDW's Trader Sam's compare to the bartending at DLR's? Because based on the video, I can't imagine a more obnoxious atmosphere for drinking tiki beverages.

The "effects" seems incredibly underwhelming too. 90% of the Nautilus drinks will be sold because of the 20K reference. I realize it's subjective, but the Nautilus glass is a pretty lackluster design, too. But it's 20K, so slurp it up.

The whole place looks like it's a small one-room bar decorated with junk hanging on the walls in the manner of a Cracker Barrel with the minor enhancement of a dark light that flashes on and off periodically.

If I plug all of that into my Disney lifestyler translator, I get this:

"Trader Sam's is an intimate, lavishly-themed bar with enough in-jokes, details, and special effects to keep you busy for hours while you sip Tiki-themed drinks served by awesome in-character bartenders."

This is modern Disney for you. How long until we get a "futuristic" sci-fi bar with drinks based on Horizons?

Cesar R M

Well, I wasn't referring to a 2 hour line once the doors had opened. People waiting prior to 8am for a bar that doesn't open til 4 could be categorized as pathetic. Those who walk around with mugs to try and "troll" them are even more pathetic.

I can't be bothered to care either way, was pointing out the irony of the original poster's comment about how LOL worthy the troll was. As if they were so much better than those spending their day on line.

ETA: Way to take my quote completely out of context from the original conversation and try and twist it into something I never said, though.
could be worse, can you imagine if they pitched a tent by the doors? lol

Cesar R M

good to know that no jobs were lost. It was a simple matter of change.
And no surprise they rehired the former employees.

Why waste money retraining if you can hire after the other company lays off?.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
(Limited) Spirited Weekend Musings:

Why limited? Because they're worth more ... ya know like those 5,000 'first day' Sam's tiki mugs.

No, I really don't have much to say about that because the whole 'Tikis Is Kewl' movement amongst Florida fanbois appears to be a very recent move over the past 4-6 years, much like the Orange Bird. I've always loved 'tiki culture' but it is a decidely west coast phenonemon in my travels that seems to have been 'borrowed' by the bois in the swamps. I guess it's fine ... who are they harming? (Likely no one beyond guests at the Poly who won't be able to get in past all the bloggers, podcasters and Lifestylers).

Task Angie gave me for the weekend: put tinfoil on my Mouse Ears and snap a pic or two (tasteful nudes, naturally!)

Oh, another Walking Dead blink and you'll miss it season is ending tonight. Well, just one less hour to occupy myself with.

To all of you folks who totally do not get the complexity of dealing with Chinese contractors, you know like Bob Iger, Tom Staggs and Chapie have to do in Shanghai, I'd read about the now twice delayed Baha Mar huge resort development on Paradise Island in the Bahamas. The Miami Herald had a piece the other day and there are others out there. That's for the 2.6 readers here who think Bob delayed the opening to 2016 to get a bounce from it.

Weather is so beautiful that I almost think I'm back in California. Then, I look around at the people ... and ... yeah.

Back to the Grog Grotto, having one potentially (because I haven't see it yet) cool bar does not in any way make up for the wholesale destruction of one of the classic parts of WDW. It's sad that fanboi Twits can't see that as they line up to eBay merchandise if they couldn't be there themsleves. Sorry, the thematics don't win out over the destruction.

So, another Spring Break season at WDW, another year with absolutely nothing new.

Did you see last night's very funny SNL hosted by The Rock? I loved the live action Bambi that Disney has coming out next year! Great stuff!!!

Sorry, but that's about it ... don't have time now and in the mood for fro-yo.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom