A Spirited Perfect Ten

CaptainAmerica

A well manicured lawn shows pride and attention to detail. Fake grass is ..... a toupe.
A well manicured lawn is also impossible to maintain if it's going to have foot traffic. You had the following options.

1. Status quo. Lots of real grass and narrow paths that become a cluster of humanity every night and downright dangerous during things like MNSSHP, 24-hour parties, Christmas/Easter/New Year's, etc.

2. Leave small quantities of real grass and create huge, wide paths. The Hub actually does become a "concrete wasteland."

3. Allow foot traffic on the real grass. In about three days the entire Hub becomes a mud pit.

4. Install some artificial grass alongside some natural vegetation and new fountains. Add walkways, but maintain an overall "green" vibe. Artificial grass serves as a congestion release valve during crowded times.

Given those options, I can't fathom how anyone thinks that anything other than #4 would have been a correct decision. I get the preference for natural grass and I share that preference. But my preference for not being pressed up against a smelly guy while trying to exit the Magic Kingdom takes precedence.

The Visionary Soul

He's not alone, It is a concrete wasteland all for the sake of 30 minutes at night.
Have any of you actually been and spent more than 5 minutes in the new sections of the Hub? A concrete wasteland it's not. I stand by what I said. The Hub is looking better than it has in a long time, and if you can't see that then there is something wrong.

Rodan75

A Spirited Marvel Quickee:

For all the fanbois who think that Marvel will come to WDW or have a huge presence in Disney Parks worldwide going forward comes this tidbit of NEWS from someone fairly up the food chain. It's not about attractions per se, but attitude.

What I've been told is that folks at Marvel care about two things largely: films and comics. If there was a third, then it would be TV and then merchandise.

You see what's missing?

Most of the top Marvel leadership doesn't really give a damn about theme park attractions -- and that's whether they wind up in IOA or DCA or DSP ... they don't have any passion or understanding for the medium. Not everyone, but enough of the leadership.

In other words, no one at Marvel will be jumping over the table in the boardroom to convince anyone at either Disney or UNI about how there has to be an amazing 3D adventure with Wolverine.

This is a great point and one that seems to get lost a lot in the Marvel Theme Park discussion. While I disagree that any executive would tell you that merchandise / licensing is low on the Marvel priority list (Ike is their leader after all) it is obvious that Marvel isn't pushing for theme park inclusion above and beyond IoA. Look how quickly Frozen is getting an attraction, meanwhile no movement in DLR, DLP, HKDL, TDL for the 3rd biggest grossing movie behind Avatar and Titanic. That says a lot.

Folks get too obsessed with choosing fanboi sides than seeing a true picture.

71jason

I guess it's fine ... who are they harming? (Likely no one beyond guests at the Poly who won't be able to get in past all the bloggers, podcasters and Lifestylers).

Despite it being the second busiest week of the year, by the time The Walking Dead had killed it's first zombie last night, you could walk right inside the bar. (Same was true of outside patio all night.) I stand by my prediction: within a month, outside Xmas week, Gay Day and Marathon Sunday, crowd control simply won't be a major issue at Trader Sam's. Too hard to park, too expensive for its core audience, too "out there" for the guests who do have easy access to it, and no kids allowed. I suspect the patio bartenders will make more, in the long run.

CaptainAmerica

A Spirited Marvel Quickee:

For all the fanbois who think that Marvel will come to WDW or have a huge presence in Disney Parks worldwide going forward comes this tidbit of NEWS from someone fairly up the food chain. It's not about attractions per se, but attitude.

What I've been told is that folks at Marvel care about two things largely: films and comics. If there was a third, then it would be TV and then merchandise.

You see what's missing?

Most of the top Marvel leadership doesn't really give a damn about theme park attractions -- and that's whether they wind up in IOA or DCA or DSP ... they don't have any passion or understanding for the medium. Not everyone, but enough of the leadership.

In other words, no one at Marvel will be jumping over the table in the boardroom to convince anyone at either Disney or UNI about how there has to be an amazing 3D adventure with Wolverine.
I would expect any "Marvel-in-the-parks" discussion to be more of a pull from Disney folks rather than a push from Marvel folks. I mean, is there anyone at Pixar clamoring to get the TSMM expansion built?

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

You mocking people saying "Disney is a business" has become as tedious as people saying "Disney is a business." Further, sometimes "Disney is a business" is a legitimate explanation for things. I agree that it's overused, but it's just as lazy to dismiss it offhand as it is to use it as a go-to for everything.

Enough with the hyperbole. When you throw around crap like "concrete wasteland," you lose a lot of credibility to what can often be very reasonable criticism.

I'd rather be able to sit and stand on fake grass than be crammed into too-narrow walkways in order to preserve the real stuff.

You act like there's no landscaping in the new space. There's loads of flowers, shrubbery, bushes, etc. Shrubs and bushes are a perfectly appropriate design choice over tall trees when sight lines are an issue.

The moat is still there so I'm not sure what that one is about.

He's being mocking/sarcastic towards two individuals who were prathing on about "Disney is a business" and couldn't back up their arguments beyond simple "talking points"

RSoxNo1

Did you see last night's very funny SNL hosted by The Rock? I loved the live action Bambi that Disney has coming out next year! Great stuff!!!

Sorry, but that's about it ... don't have time now and in the mood for fro-yo.
Definitely one of the best episodes of the season. I would also definitely see the Bambi movie based on that trailer. I can't say the same about Cinderella, Maleficent (which I did see and hated), and Into the Woods.

RSoxNo1

I'm sure that would really **** off Rainforest too if Avatar did offer a full service dining location. I think DAK is pretty set with full dining offerings at this time.
The initial info I was given on Avatar was a quick service restaurant. Add in the report that part of Pizzafari will be a Table Service restaurant and it would seem unlikely that Avatar would get a Table Service.

CaptainAmerica

I'm sure that would really **** off Rainforest too if Avatar did offer a full service dining location. I think DAK is pretty set with full dining offerings at this time.
The big caveat there is "at this time." Once Rivers of Light goes live, DAK will need more sit-down dining. Table service is much more popular at dinner than it is at lunch, but up until now people haven't had any reason to be at DAK at dinner time.

doctornick

I would expect any "Marvel-in-the-parks" discussion to be more of a pull from Disney folks rather than a push from Marvel folks. I mean, is there anyone at Pixar clamoring to get Frozestrom built?

Well, it wasn't a Pixar movie, it was WDAS. But I think your point is correct.

The benefit to the IP developers in having theme park attractions is to keep the said IP in the public's eye long term. One would have to agree that having, say, PPF and Dumbo have kept those movies in the public's consciousness a lot more over the decades than they would have been were it not for the rides.

For Marvel right now, I don't think there is any significant benefit from having an Iron Man or Thor ride in Anaheim. The benefit would be for the theme park building off of the movies' success, not vice versa. Long term, there would probably be a benefit for Marvel to have a theme park presence to keep their properties in the public's eye, but the way that the movies are going these days, it won't be a while that it is a concern.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom