Downtown Disney's United World Soccer closing to be replaced with a Disney operated Marvel store

dstrawn9889

of course it cant be named 'Marvel'... so maybe Superheroes r us? this seems like maybe disney pushing to see how far they can stretch the legal jargon (dunno how they can stretch the term 50 miles, or cannot use the name Marvel on it's East-of-the-mighty-Mississippi parks)

HauntedMansionFLA

of course it cant be named 'Marvel'... so maybe Superheroes r us? this seems like maybe disney pushing to see how far they can stretch the legal jargon (dunno how they can stretch the term 50 miles, or cannot use the name Marvel on it's East-of-the-mighty-Mississippi parks)
I was thinking the same thing. Kind of like when Letterman went to CBS and NBC said he couldn't do the Light Night on a different network. Letterman really pushed the limits and basically did the same show - just changed a few things a little bit. They did the monorail loop past the Magic Kingdom and got away with it.

lazyboy97o

My one question: is the store big enough that it could feature a M&G? I think conceivably they could have a M&G in DTD without violating the contract with Uni. That would allow them to promote the latest Marvel film at WDW even if it can't be done in the parks.
That probably depends on how far Marvel developed the Marvel Action Universe and how much Universal knowns about those concepts.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Just saw Universal lawyers heading into DD
I don't know about all of that, especially since Disney owns Marvel.
----------------------------------------

I wish they would have done this months ago. They would be making a killing since the movie is coming out soon. With that theater being right there who's to say they won't. Great idea by then.

Hulkbuster approves!

CaptainAmerica

They absolutely can and will use the name "Marvel." There's nothing legally ambiguous here. The east of the Mississippi rule applies to THEME PARKS, of which Downtown Disney is not one.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They absolutely can and will use the name "Marvel." There's nothing legally ambiguous here. The east of the Mississippi rule applies to THEME PARKS, of which Downtown Disney is not one.

Plus the contract has an allowance in if for a "retail concept" that Marvel was going to do develop, so Disney should have no problem using the Marvel name in conjunction with a store in DTD.

lazyboy97o

Plus the contract has an allowance in if for a "retail concept" that Marvel was going to do develop, so Disney should have no problem using the Marvel name in conjunction with a store in DTD.
The retail concept would not be allowed at Walt Disney World.
The Marvel Action Universe will not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE

Cmdr_Crimson

They could probably use the name of the former store that was in USH..
3637275746_3aa52089ed.jpg

TP2000

Somehow I'm not surprised that a soccer store wouldn't be a good long-term bet in an American shopping mall.

I know, I know, we were all so Soccer-crazed for about three minutes last July during that world championship thing that no one really knew about beforehand.

It was such a trendy, fun game to pretend to be interested in that summer, wasn't it kids? :cool:

It's fairly obvious a Marvel store will have more customers in it than those photos of empty aisles displaying soccer balls.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Somehow I'm not surprised that a soccer store wouldn't be a good long-term bet in an American shopping mall.

I know, I know, we were all so Soccer-crazed for about three minutes last July during that world championship thing that no one really knew about beforehand.

It was such a trendy, fun game to pretend to be interested in that summer, wasn't it kids? :cool:

It's fairly obvious a Marvel store will have more customers in it than those photos of empty aisles displaying soccer balls.

:banghead:

Soccer isn't growing by leaps and bounds in this country. You're right. That type of opinion doesn't make you appear out of touch at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom