Downtown Disney's United World Soccer closing to be replaced with a Disney operated Marvel store

TB4244

Most logical way to go:

300px-7.9.12SecretStashByLuigiNovi1.jpg
Snoogans...

Actually I'm hoping it isn't an entirely kid based store coming, which is what the Disney stores are now. It seems to me that they almost completely ignore the adult audience so I'm hoping for some decent Marvel based goodies for us 'grown-up' comic book fans too.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I'm out of touch on a lot of things in this bizarre future decade of the 2010's. But one example, I still call them "stewardesses". They honestly don't seem to mind, and I still get a wink and an extra

As for soccer, I get it. It's hip. I've been to a couple Timbers games up in Portland the last few years, and it doesn't get any more hipster than a Timbers game in Portlandia. In drizzle. Wearing a scarf. And for the last one I stayed in the Ace Hotel the night before the game. Try to out-hipster that. :D

But I'm also old enough to remember the fashionable soccer-is-breaking-through! talk at WASPy upper-middle class dinner parties in the late 1970's. Soccer was really going to become America's Game back then. It was going to happen. Also the Metric System. Neither happened. :cool:

The TV ratings for soccer games in this country continue to drift somewhere below Real Housewives of Orange County, yet above reruns of Match Game '74 or that evening's Rachel Maddow Show. I think it was probably wise for TDO to close the temporary soccer store in Disney Springs.

I was all set to post a list of point by point takedowns. I think I'll keep it simple though. Just because something didn't happen before, doesn't mean it won't happen now. Or in the future. Yes the Cosmos were a flash in the pan, but what bearing does that have on today?

Mr. Peabody

The retail concept would not be allowed at Walt Disney World.
I'm a little confused by this news because I thought Marvel couldn't open its own retail store within 60 miles of Universal. So is it legally okay for Disney to operate a Marvel store in Disney Springs as long as they don't call it "The Marvel Store" or some such?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm a little confused by this news because I thought Marvel couldn't open its own retail store within 60 miles of Universal. So is it legally okay for Disney to operate a Marvel store in Disney Springs as long as they don't call it "The Marvel Store" or some such?

They are not allowed to open the "retail concept" described in the contract within 60 miles. This was described as a retail store that also has some interactive elements to it like video games and simulator rides. I assume the reason was that something like this could have been considered a theme park, albeit a small one, so they put this clause in the contract to allow them to go ahead with this without the same restrictions the contract puts on theme parks.

Next Big Thing

They are not allowed to open the "retail concept" described in the contract within 60 miles. This was described as a retail store that also has some interactive elements to it like video games and simulator rides. I assume the reason was that something like this could have been considered a theme park, albeit a small one, so they put this clause in the contract to allow them to go ahead with this without the same restrictions the contract puts on theme parks.
It would have been considered a theme park in the same way Disney advertises Disney Quest. As an interactive theme park.

Mr. Peabody

The contract says that the "Marvel Action Universe" may include simulators/virtual reality, but it doesn't necessarily have to. That was the source of my confusion.

Your explanation is plausible. Universal has not raised any legal objections as far as I know, so I guess my point is moot.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The contract says that the "Marvel Action Universe" may include simulators/virtual reality, but it doesn't necessarily have to. That was the source of my confusion.

Your explanation is plausible. Universal has not raised any legal objections as far as I know, so I guess my point is moot.

Yes, but if it doesn't contain those things then the contract is completely irrelevant because it's about theme park rights, not general use of Marvel characters.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Somehow I'm not surprised that a soccer store wouldn't be a good long-term bet in an American shopping mall.
But there are three United World Soccer stores in American shopping malls. While betting on stores is illegal, many people appear to be shopping at them. And, as @wdwmagic noted in the post, the temp store at DtD may well be replaced with a permanent one.

lazyboy97o

The concept would have been themed entertainment, and given the language could have been quite large in some locations. That is why the concept is banned within 60 mi and the simulators banned within 300 mi.

Universal was also probably concerned about their merchandise sales.

Mr. Peabody

The concept would have been themed entertainment, and given the language could have been quite large in some locations. That is why the concept is banned within 60 mi and the simulators banned within 300 mi.

Universal was also probably concerned about their merchandise sales.
Just the man I was hoping to hear from....thanks to you and @danlb_2000 for clearing that up.

Captain Chaos

Snoogans...

Actually I'm hoping it isn't an entirely kid based store coming, which is what the Disney stores are now. It seems to me that they almost completely ignore the adult audience so I'm hoping for some decent Marvel based goodies for us 'grown-up' comic book fans too.
Hey, they are going back to the mall.. How about an outdoor mall? Uh, uh? Kevin Smith, you listening bro????

Kman101

LOL at how they can't even use Marvel for the store name ... I don't see why a store should matter but contracts are contracts I guess.

Magenta Panther

Disney has bought other characters like Winnie the Pooh, & Mary Poppins. Most of the other characters were in the public domain.

And this again. :rolleyes: *sigh* Well, I suppose I must explain. You see, Disney didn't use to be a warehouse full of well-worn already-developed franchises bought in order to exploit their merchandising. It used to be a creative company that bought the rights to books and concepts and then developed them itself for the big and small screen, giving them the special Disney magic that pretty much guaranteed that they'd live forever. That's the difference between acquisition and artistry, and that's why putting Marvel in any Disney park is about as appropriate as a turd in a punch bowl. Class dismissed!

Matt_Black

And this again. :rolleyes: *sigh* Well, I suppose I must explain. You see, Disney didn't use to be a warehouse full of well-worn already-developed franchises bought in order to exploit their merchandising. It used to be a creative company that bought the rights to books and concepts and then developed them itself for the big and small screen, giving them the special Disney magic that pretty much guaranteed that they'd live forever. That's the difference between acquisition and artistry, and that's why putting Marvel in any Disney park is about as appropriate as a turd in a punch bowl. Class dismissed!

Didn't they add the magic to Marvel's Big Hero 6? Most people I've seen agree that the film is far superior to the comic.

Otterhead

putting Marvel in any Disney park is about as appropriate as a turd in a punch bowl. Class dismissed!
Nah, disagreed. Disney's always been about using popular stories and media and making them its own; even as far back as Bambi, it was buying a currently-popular novel and adapting it (very very loosely!) to animation.

I think most Marvel fans would agree that properties like Guardians of the Galaxy and Big Hero 6 weren't exactly well-loved or top-tier titles. Disney's been very smart about NOT interfering with what Marvel Studios is doing apart from giving them boatloads of money to do their jobs very well. Disney's spinning gold from chaff and doing quite well at it, and Marvel's inching its way into the parks comfortably.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom