Disneyland Half Marathon

Maryssa*

Yeah it usually never even gets remotely near that humid here... figures race weekend would be THE hottest MOST humid days of the entire year here >_< I was nervous for everyone. I was sweating buckets and buckets even just getting to/from the expo.

a2grafix

In Vegas visiting my sister. I took a bad picture of the medals but maybe I can clean it up when I get home next week. I think I passed @a2grafix on the way to the hat. They were already yelling at us to get to the corrals.

The expo was a fiasco but I'm blaming that on everyone, including me, rushing the opening. I heard there was no wait in the afternoon. Took me 90 minutes to get my number and shirts. The merchandise checkout was ridiculous and there was even a long line for New Balance.

10k was a lot of fun. I didn't realize the 5k was right before or I would have done both. Lots of great backstage views including the roundhouse and maintenance shops with ride vehicles displayed. I got to the front of Corral C for the half and managed a 2:18 new PR. I caught up to my buddy who was in A. Another friend finished but had to be taken away in an ambulance. Severe dehydration apparently. They fixed her up and she was in the parks next day. It was hotter than expected. The locals were complaining about the humidity.

Might post a few pictures next week.

@Texas84 you might have seen me at the Sorcerer's Hat. If I would have know that EVERY GROUP decided to meet under the hat, I would have said meet at ESPNZone or Earle of Sandwich. Yes, with all of the runners making it to the corrals, the 30-45 minute window evaporated super quickly. Waited and waited as long as I could before cast members forced us out because guests in the Disneyland Hotel were complaining of the noise. I was waiting near a runner who dressed up like a peanut.

I was in the back of B near the front of C corral. You might have seen me. I was one of the few runners who saluted during the National Anthem. Totally going with you on the humidity on the course. I was expecting low to mid 60s for the start but a revised forecast called for around 71 or 72 for the start. I saw a handful of runners struggling in the late miles after the sun rose around Mile 10. Saw a runner collapsed in the shade. I hydrated and I am so glad there were water and powerade stops every half mile in the later miles before reaching Disney property.

Wish there was a stronger wind like there was later in the afternoon.

I found out there were a handful of Team RWB runners doing the Double Dare, and I'll be running with them at the Wine and Dine in November, maybe as a group.

Katherine

Hope everyone had a great time!

I took the 10k slow and steady and then PR'd at the half! So hot and humid but super fun. I loved all the cars, they went on forever! The 10k did a lot of winding through the parks on some very narrow walk ways which was less than ideal but it's okay.

Now the countdown begins for the Dopey challenge!

Merchandise went so fast! Didn't get a Dumbo "I did it" shirt which I was disappointed about and there was no Coast to Coast merchandise. Do you know if I can order a C2C shirt from the Wine and Dine expo?

Thanks guys and happy running!

a2grafix

Merchandise went so fast! Didn't get a Dumbo "I did it" shirt which I was disappointed about and there was no Coast to Coast merchandise. Do you know if I can order a C2C shirt from the Wine and Dine expo?

Thanks guys and happy running!

I rifled through a lot of race merchandise but did not enter the dreaded 3-hour checkout line. "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

I did see several I DID IT shirts as well as two Coast 2 Coast shirts. Don't think you can order online, but Disney has a parks merchandise line to buy stuff, so, there may be an option. If not, I will be running the Wine and Dine. Maybe I can pick one up for you.

Katherine

I rifled through a lot of race merchandise but did not enter the dreaded 3-hour checkout line. "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

I did see several I DID IT shirts as well as two Coast 2 Coast shirts. Don't think you can order online, but Disney has a parks merchandise line to buy stuff, so, there may be an option. If not, I will be running the Wine and Dine. Maybe I can pick one up for you.
Yeah the merchandise was ridiculous! Yeah I think I just need the SKU number (if anyone did pick one up, preferably, women's cut) I'd be eternally grateful for the SKU information! I'll keep your offer in mind though. Thanks! Have a blast at Wine and Dine!

dreamfinder

Do you know if I can order a C2C shirt from the Wine and Dine expo?

Unless RunDisney takes initiative from the chaos that was the merch at DLR, I doubt it. Unfortunately the Merchandise Phone Line is only helpful if merchandise is in stock, and essentially sitting in the warehouse so they can pull it to fulfill your order. That is why the Merchandise line usually won't sell any LE merch until 30 days after it went on sale. They have sometimes had a limited selection of generic RunDisney merch available on the DisneyStore.com parks section, but that's been it. Your best bet would be to try to get someone else to buy it for you at the Expo. For a few years now we have been asking them to change up the process, but nothing so far.

dreamfinder

disneystore.com just posted some dumbo and coast to coast shirts online this week with free shipping-

-em

Brilliant! Looks like I may need to eat some of my words from my previous post. They finally decided to start to take advantage of the same print on demand style orders that they have done for other events, like the shirts for the MK anniversary last year, and first 24hr event, and the Epcot World Showcase shirts. Yeah, it means 6-8 weeks of delay, but someone at RunDisney is realizing their current merch scenario sucks. Hopefully this is going to be an ongoing trend, but I also hope that they announce it in advance for future races. IE "Yeah, we may sell out, but we will have some sample shirts for you to try on, and computers so you can order them right here if we do!"

Katherine

disneystore.com just posted some dumbo and coast to coast shirts online this week with free shipping-

-em
YES! Problem solved! This is a much better solution than the pre-sale they did on merch for the WDW Marathon weekend last year.

Maryssa*

Ahhh having such a huge personal dilemma about signing up for Dumbo! On one hand it's -super- expensive and I'll need to keep up my long-run training and risk more injuries since I seem to be prone to them. On the other hand I'm now so excited do to more Halfs since they are so fun and exhilarating and the Dumbo extra bling is so so cool. I'm already doing the 10k for sure with a friend, which is no big deal, so I was toying with the idea of just going all out and doing Dumbo if I'm gonna participate in the race weekend. But ahhhh I'm so not sure. I'd probably get a hotel room nearby to avoid dealing with parking both mornings so that's even more $$ plus race merch. But that big D medal is the best one of all imo.

edit: WELL I'M GOING FOR IT! Yay Dumbo!!

Last edited:

JillC LI

Just got this:
01_28_spacer.gif

Special Savings Opportunity for Cardmembers
01_28_spacer.gif
01_28_spacer.gif

01_28_HalfMarathon_CR_04_03.jpg

01_28_spacer.gif
01_28_spacer.gif
01_28_spacer.gif
01_28_spacer.gif

LindsayLoves

@JillC LI - I just got that too, I am pretty sure its already sold out, nice job sending it at 12:19 when it went on sale at noon. I just went to see if its sold out and the runDisney site is on the fritz.

The pasta in the park party is $135?? Is that typical? It seems like a lot of money for a pasta buffet.

Ariel484

@Maryssa* - yay! I hope you got in! I sooooo want to do this someday.
ETA: Sorry you missed the discount but just being able to sign up for Dumbo is an accomplishment itself!

Maryssa*

I'm in for Dumbo! WOO! Waiting on pins etc til later on because OUCH my wallet :bawling: It's really crazy how expensive this particular race weekend is compared to the other events! I was able to register no problem though since I had the reg screen open about 15 min prior and started entering my info about 3 min before the official opening time.

Ariel484

The pasta in the park party is $135?? Is that typical? It seems like a lot of money for a pasta buffet.[/USER]
:eek: OMG, that's crazy!

Even crazier...

Disneyland® Half Marathon Weekend Welcome Event featuring Runner's World.
Thursday, August 28, 2014

5:30 a.m. - 7:00 a.m.

Kick off your Disneyland® Half Marathon Weekend at the Welcome Event featuring Runner's World. The event will include a Question and Answer session with Runner's World experts as well as early entry into the OfficialrunDisney Merchandise area.

The Welcome Event features:

• Official Welcome from runDisney
  • Question and Answer Session and Dynamic Warm-up with Runner's World Experts
  • Official Welcome to California with a ride on Soarin' Over California
  • One (1) hour early entry into "Official runDisney Merchandise area" on Thursday, August 28, 2014
  • runDisney bag which includes a runDisney tech shirt and a Runner's World Magazine

Cost: 89$

Ariel484

Disneyland® Half Marathon

• $195 by February 18, 2014
  • $210 between February 19 and March 11, 2014
  • $225 on or after March 12, 2014
Disneyland® 10K

• $105 by February 18, 2014
  • $120 between February 19 and March 11, 2014
  • $135 on or after March 12, 2014
Dumbo Double Dare

• $320 by February 18, 2014
  • $345 between February 19 and March 11, 2014
  • $370 on or after March 12, 2014
Disneyland® Family Fun Run 5K

• $70 by June 24, 2014
  • $80 on or after June 25, 2014
runDisney Kids Races

• $20 by June 24, 2014
  • $25 on or after June 25, 2014
Pasta in the Park Party
With a Theme Park Ticket

• $135.00 for Adults (ages 10 and up)*
  • $115.00 for Children (ages 3-9)*
Without a Theme Park Ticket

• $89.00 for Adults (ages 10 and up)*
  • $69 .00 for Children (ages 3-9)*
* A theme park ticket is required to enter this party.

Welcome Event featuring Runner's World

• $89.00

Ariel484

I'm in for Dumbo! WOO! Waiting on pins etc til later on because OUCH my wallet :bawling: It's really crazy how expensive this particular race weekend is compared to the other events! I was able to register no problem though since I had the reg screen open about 15 min prior and started entering my info about 3 min before the official opening time.
Glad you got in! :)

I think they charge so much for this race weekend because THEY CAN. This one will sell out quickly...a lot of people want it for their C2C medals, plus it's one of only two race weekends at Disneyland (for now).

Observe...from runDisney's Facebook page:
UPDATE: At 12:30 ET, the Dumbo Double Dare and Disneyland 10K are 90% Full. Register now at the link above.

UPDATE: At 12:42 ET, the Dumbo Double Dare is sold out and the Disneyland 10K is 97% Full. Register now at the link above.

:eek::eek::eek:

Maryssa*

It's insane it sells out so quickly! I'm glad I'm a pro at being on top of online registrations from comic cons and such, because wow I may have totally missed out!

And yeah that "welcome party" seems so.... eaugh. Pay an extra $90 to hurricane through the official merchandise before everyone else!

The 10k is sold out now too!! :confused:

Edit: ah good point about C2C, being on the opposite coast I forget it's much more difficult for people to get in their Cali races!! I hope they add a new one here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom