Zootopia Coming To Shanghai

Tank Man

Storybook Circus is an area inside Fantasyland.

Zootopia will probably be treated just like their TSL. Its own mini land
So just like Storybook Circus?
I
I’m sure it will be considered its own miniland like Toy Story is there. Even if it’s built adjacent/connected to Fantasyland.
A problem with something is that with the Disneylands everything is connected to a genre (MTT-Comedy/Animation, etc.) and Zootopia would fit into Fantasyland but the reason SWGE is where it is because in DCA there was no room and so they put it into DL, GE was put into DHS because it fits in the most at a park about movies

Timothy_Q

A problem with something is that with the Disneylands everything is connected to a genre (MTT-Comedy/Animation, etc.) and Zootopia would fit into Fantasyland but the reason SWGE is where it is because in DCA there was no room and so they put it into DL, GE was put into DHS because it fits in the most at a park about movies
Fantasyland is a medieval european castle courtyard / village / forest, for fairy tales.

Zootopia doesn't fit

Timothy_Q

It's a Small World, Pooh, Storybook Circus, PhilharMagic, Peter Pan, Mickey and Friends, Dumbo.

I'm not saying Zootopia fits, but, Fantasyland is not all medieval fairy tales.
Peter Pan and Pooh are classic european stories.

Mickey and Friends? They are in every single land, doesn’t count.

Dumbo has always been the outlier of Fantasyland. Storybook Circus helped the storyline, as it’s a travelling circus that just arrived by train and is there temporarily.

Zootopia still doesn’t fit.

SplashJacket

Could the image above be a very rough inaccurate guestimation of the thoughts of the Zootopia expansion?

The Zootopia mini-land being between 7DMT and POTC hurts my soul. As an alternative, Zootopia going in the highlighted area in the photo would allow for the least amount of damage towards themeing and cohesiveness in SDL. There could be a transition between Zootopia going into Everest that could be described as going into Tundratown, or if you swap Everest for Pandora in that location you could say Rainforest District. (I'm sorry in advance.) The connection is labeled by the number 1 effectively completing the loop around 7DMT.

As for Everest. I imagine the mountain to be placed at the start of POTC show building in order to block the view of the building from within the Everest mini-land. I do not believe there is a way to block the view of Everest from within Treasure Cove. 2 and 3 could contain buildings which are part of an extended torn up Himalayan village which sits in the shadows of Everest. The town could continue until the ride entrance. Or just leave the area highlighted in blue open for future expansion that fits the area better than Everest.

It seems practical to have Pandora tucked away between Tarzan and the POTC stunt show allows for a smooth transition into the world without detracting from Adventureland, POTC, or Pandora itself.

While I understand this thread is about discussing the confirmed Zootopia mini-land and not hypothetical concepts I just want to paint myself a picture of what the Imagineers might be thinking about Zootopia. I realize Pandora, and Everest are shelved currently, but Pandora will undoubtedly resurface after 2021 if Avatar 2 does very well in China. As for Everest, the location would create a sightline crisis far beyond Guardians in Epcot. I am simply trying to rationalize the bizarre probable placement of Zootopia.

Last edited:

BrianLo

View attachment 395317

Could the image above be a very rough inaccurate guestimation of the thoughts of the Zootopia expansion?

The Zootopia mini-land being between 7DMT and POTC hurts my soul. As an alternative, Zootopia going in the highlighted area in the photo would allow for the least amount of damage towards themeing and cohesiveness in SDL. There could be a transition between Zootopia going into Everest that could be described as going into Tundratown, or if you swap Everest for Pandora in that location you could say Rainforest District. (I'm sorry in advance.) The connection is labeled by the number 1 effectively completing the loop around 7DMT.

As for Everest. I imagine the mountain to be placed at the start of POTC show building in order to block the view of the building from within the Everest mini-land. I do not believe there is a way to block the view of Everest from within Treasure Cove. 2 and 3 could contain buildings which are part of an extended torn up Himalayan village which sits in the shadows of Everest. The town could continue until the ride entrance.

It seems practical to have Pandora tucked away between Tarzan and the POTC stunt show allows for a smooth transition into the world without detracting from Adventureland, POTC, or Pandora itself.

While I understand this thread is about discussing the confirmed Zootopia mini-land and not hypothetical concepts I just want to paint myself a picture of what the Imagineers might be thinking about Zootopia. I realize Pandora, and Everest are shelved currently, but Pandora will undoubtedly resurface after 2021 if Avatar 2 does very well in China. As for Everest, the location would create a sightline crisis far beyond Guardians in Epcot. I am simply trying to rationalize the bizarre probable placement of Zootopia.

Yes, I believe your placement of Zootopia is most accurate.

No Name

Can anyone actually imagine them building Everest? I can’t imagine any non-movie-IP-based major attraction getting built there any time soon, and if it does, I certainly don’t see it being Everest. It would also create sightline issues which unfortunately would be nothing particularly new for that park.

SplashJacket

Disney hasn't built a flume ride in almost 30 years.

The last 3 resorts (Paris, HK, Shanghai) don't have one.

Doesn't seem like a ride system Disney has any interest in anymore

Paris was due to weather concerns. Also why it lacks a Jungle Cruise.

Hong Kong was due to... Well... The resort is not exactly complete whatsoever. Drop towers have also not been added to Shanghai or Hong Kong but I do not believe Disney has lost interest in the ride system despite only 4/6 resorts having a drop tower ride.

Shanghai is new. I assume people believed Disney lost interest in raft rides as they had not opened one since Grizzly River Run in 2001, and Kali River Rapids in 1999. Then they surprised us all and opened one in Shanghai.

Some ride systems, such as flume rides, serve a very specific purpose. Splash Mountain is a chaotic, fun ride, and you cannot implement the ride system for every purpose. It's similar to drop towers. Making an Indiana Jones drop tower would be an interesting choice... It would be feasible, but not a good fit.

lazyboy97o

Can anyone actually imagine them building Everest? I can’t imagine any non-movie-IP-based major attraction getting built there any time soon, and if it does, I certainly don’t see it being Everest. It would also create sightline issues which unfortunately would be nothing particularly new for that park.
I don’t think Expedition Everest was ever considered. It’s on the master plan drawing as part of an expansion pad, showing the scale of what could fit in the area. People see these plans and think all of this stuff for the next decade is completely designed and just waiting to be approved. The master plan for Universal Beijing has a second park, which is a mirror image of Universal Studios Florida, something that makes no sense to actually build but does show that a park fits.

BrianLo

They designed the plot/layout with Everest in mind...

Roaring Rapids is basically the same non-IP attraction, granted current day Disney is different than Disney of 2009-2012 that designed the park. So probably not, but it wasn’t fake.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I don’t think Expedition Everest was ever considered. It’s on the master plan drawing as part of an expansion pad, showing the scale of what could fit in the area. People see these plans and think all of this stuff for the next decade is completely designed and just waiting to be approved. The master plan for Universal Beijing has a second park, which is a mirror image of Universal Studios Florida, something that makes no sense to actually build but does show that a park fits.

It was actually considered and presented, but it wasn’t designed.

I guess that’s still not calling it much more than a placeholder... but it was slightly more than just filler from a concept artist. More so than ‘park two’ for Beijing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom