Zootopia Coming To Shanghai

brb1006

Yikes. Not even fair Asia gets all the Zootopia love. I’d absolutely kill to have this come in at WDW. Anywhere, I don’t even care if it fits the theme of the park or not.
190.gif

The only park at WDW that a Zootopia area would at least fit would be at DHS. It would look very out of place at AK.

While I don't want to start another IP debate. At least characters from Disney films such as Bambi, The Lion King, and The Jungle Book for example fit better at Animal Kingdom. While the characters from Zootopia are anthropomorphic (However Mickey and friends can get away with that) and a Zootopia land at AK would seriously stick out like a sore thumb.

Last edited:

TwilightZone

190.gif

The only park at WDW that a Zootopia area would at least fit would be at DHS. It would look very out of place at AK. While I don't want to start another IP debate. At least characters from Disney films such as Bambi, The Lion King, and The Jungle Book for example at least fit at AK since they are actual animals.
Animals that act like animals. ;)

justintheharris

190.gif

The only park at WDW that a Zootopia area would at least fit would be at DHS. It would look very out of place at AK. While I don't want to start another IP debate. At least characters from Disney films such as Bambi, The Lion King, and The Jungle Book for example at least fit at AK since they are actual animals.
Zootopia characters aren't animals? :bored: What? Isn't the whole movie based on prejudice and stereotypes in the Animal Kingdom? Like I get you may think it's out of place but claiming Zootopia's characters aren't animals is quite out there. No, walking on two legs doesn't make them human.

TwilightZone

Personally, the closet park that could work for zootopia besides DHS is Epcot IMO. Here's why.
It does not fit the future theme at all, but does has a message of acceptance and a setting involving multiple ecologies.
You can either go two ways with this, one is using the message of acceptance to show how mankind has changed throughout history/ show how we can work together to make a better future.
Or you can use the different ecologies as a new show for the land. To show how different animals adapt to different ecologies in a fun way.
Just my opinion though.

the.dreamfinder

I feel that the only question about whether this land/attraction comes to DAK is if management decides the park should get major expansion $$ at all in the next 2-5 years. With current management, it will be Zootopia or nothing at DAK for some time. I'd prefer it not come to AK, but that's the way Chapek/Iger operate. It checks every one of their boxes: it's company IP; it's about animals, duh! (not in the AK sense, but Iger/Chapek would never see it that way); co-development with Shanghai (aka copy & paste), upcoming sequel (yet to be announced), kid-friendly, merch-friendly, etc.
After Tron was hastily put in MK, I get the feeling this land is staying put in Shanghai for a longer time frame.

Also, DHS will need to dramatically ramp up hourly capacity to accomodate GE in a way AK hasn’t needed to with Pandora. So DHS is the only park where there is a strong thematic fit, operational need and business case.

JJJ

Edit: My bad, it's a few pages back. But here's another post with an identical picture, I guess :oops:
~~~~~

I only did a cursory scroll through this thread, but it looks like this was just officially announced:

Congratulations, @Zootopia Dude ! If you need any help learning Chinese, I can you give my old CHI 101/102 textbook.

BrianLo

This looks great! Looks like a properly executed expansion.

I don't think this idea is bad, but it looks a bit overpowering. Hopefully Disney can execute it well, but for now, I am not getting my hopes up.

Its scaling is relatively appropriate for Shanghai. If it ever did come stateside I would hope it wouldn't be a copy and paste job and they would rethink it.

Yikes. Not even fair Asia gets all the Zootopia love. I’d absolutely kill to have this come in at WDW. Anywhere, I don’t even care if it fits the theme of the park or not.

Save up your money. Shanghai is worth a visit.

Zootopia the movie was good but I didn't really love it like I do a lot of other Disney movies. I think there are better options to create a whole land after. However, I didn't like Avatar and love Pandora. I don't like Star Wars and I'm excited for Galaxy's Edge. So, I trust the Imagineers to do something cool with this land that can be enjoyed by everyone.

Not my first (or 15th) choice, but at least better than Toy Story Land (those skyscrapers should have gone in TSL's place to block the Tron building). It guarantees a Zootopia sequel is in the works at the Studio.

We can't lose context of which market we are talking about. Zootopia is the Disney companies' (NOT just Animation) second biggest release in China ever. Outside of Marvel the only real box office performance option for that market is Coco (a bit too late of a release for how long they have likely been planning this).

Now I think a Zootopia sequel probably is happening for other reasons, but if they added a Coco section to Shanghai I wouldn't immediately think that meant a sequel was 100% in the work.

I feel that the only question about whether this land/attraction comes to DAK is if management decides the park should get major expansion $$ at all in the next 2-5 years. With current management, it will be Zootopia or nothing at DAK for some time. I'd prefer it not come to AK, but that's the way Chapek/Iger operate. It checks every one of their boxes: it's company IP; it's about animals, duh! (not in the AK sense, but Iger/Chapek would never see it that way); co-development with Shanghai (aka copy & paste), upcoming sequel (yet to be announced), kid-friendly, merch-friendly, etc.

I wonder/hope there is a bit of pressure to maintain some exclusivity. I'm really glad AK keeps one of its exclusive staples (Everest) and Shanghai gets one of its own. Thank god that market didn't like Star Wars... I don't want every Disney parks turning into McDonalds where all the menus have to be the same worldwide. While the WDS expansion is on paper quite massive and similar to what Tokyo Disney Sea is receiving in a single investment... it's also just somehow not enticing to visit a series of clones.

fradz

The only connection this expansion has in common with Animal Kingdom is that it occupies an expansion pad previously meant for Everest. #hardtruths
That's true, I would expect that, but just for the sake of it, there's another pad available.
Just talking out of my on this one, to open up the debate; but the pad where the Marvel tents are currently sitting is also available. And Zootopia being set in the future, so close to Tomorrowland; and also next to Fantasy Gardens as it is still a Disney animation story.

Now how it would fit in there, given the size of the buildings in the artist rendering, that would be pretty hard to integrate and the view from the hub would probably not be too great.
About the Everest pad... I'm concerned about how close Zootopia is going to be to Pirates.. :confused:

A nice, not self-centered message. WDW gets everythinggg! :hilarious:

justintheharris

That's exactly what I was trying to say. ;)
Well okay yea that's a very accurate statement but now you need to justify Bambi and The Lion King making sense in the park because neither of those are about animals' relations with earth or humans. However, they still make sense because they don't need to focus on the story line of the movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom