News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Ghost93

I get what you mean. You will often see characters on tv shows making references to characters, quotes, concepts, etc to Harry Potter, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc even when when said tv shows are owned by a rival company but the same isn't true for Avatar. Now this doesn't mean that Avatar is bad but you never really see anyone in those shows comment on that stuff when it comes to Avatar.
The appeal of Avatar is the world itself, moreseo than the characters (which are fine, but not iconic).

Since Disney World's attractions are all about the world of Pandora, they are a hit with crowds.

ilovetotravel1977

As has been said a million times in the Tron thread, there was a pandemic in the middle of construction that caused a lot of problems, and they didn’t start back construction immediately. This won’t be the case in the future (barring another world-wide disaster).

Sorry. I missed the other 999,999 times it was said. Geesh. Pretty sure a million people talked about how TRON should have already been open and that WDW was just delaying so it could open a new ride each year for the next few years.

KingMickey13

Sorry. I missed the other 999,999 times it was said. Geesh. Pretty sure a million people talked about how TRON should have already been open and that WDW was just delaying so it could open a new ride each year for the next few years.
It has been talked about on the Tron thread. Exactly where this conversation belongs.

MagicHappens1971

Dinosaur is probably the worst ride at WDW. Happy to see it being potentially redone.
I really like Dinosaur, I've also been on Indy @ DL, and I preferred Dinosaur. I think this ride system is great and unique, I do wish it was a little less herky-jerky. I would like to see Dinosaur and it's surrounding areas redone, more so than I would like to keep Dinosaur. For cost purposes, I'm sure that Zootopia would just use the existing ride infrastructure and re-do the theme.

I think it's too early to speculate how this new expansion will be situated, I wonder how they would blend the two lands, would they save the Nemo theatre, will they add more than one Zootopia ride? So many questions

MagicHappens1971

Sure.

Expecting to return like the parking trams and other park upkeep that never seems to?
Disney countered the announcement of Capex decreasing with park expansions on the horizon. It's decreasing because they are in the midst of finalizing two huge construction projects, Tron, Epcot Central Spine, and Moana. They don't have any major plans currently on the books.

celluloid

Disney countered the announcement of Capex decreasing with park expansions on the horizon. It's decreasing because they are in the midst of finalizing two huge construction projects, Tron, Epcot Central Spine, and Moana. They don't have any major plans currently on the books.

Well sure, they are going to word it well. It does not mean they are obgligated to do anything on the level of the Blue Sky. And certainly not all of them will be fulfilled. This is why they call them Blue Sky.

MagicHappens1971

Well sure, they are going to word it well. It does not mean they are obgligated to do anything on the level of the Blue Sky. And certainly not all of them will be fulfilled. This is why they call them Blue Sky.
I agree with you that they aren't obligated to as well. However, with all this talk, as well as Epic's opening date is nearly approaching I would argue that there will be expansions coming to WDW before 2030.

- Moana at DAK (very likely)
- Coco/Ecanto at MK (pretty likely)
- Zootopia at DAK (moderately likely)
- Pandora "Experience "from DL (moderately likely)
- Villians (phase 2 of BBT) - (very unlikely
- Mary Poppins at Epcot - (very unlikely)

Anything beyond those projects seems extremely unlikely to be announced and opened like 2025. I hope an Animation Courtyard redo is on the way, and something taking over the Indy/Star Tours/Muppets plot.

celluloid

I agree with you that they aren't obligated to as well. However, with all this talk, as well as Epic's opening date is nearly approaching I would argue that there will be expansions coming to WDW before 2030.

- Moana at DAK (very likely)
- Coco/Ecanto at MK (pretty likely)
- Zootopia at DAK (moderately likely)
- Pandora "Experience "from DL (moderately likely)
- Villians (phase 2 of BBT) - (very unlikely
- Mary Poppins at Epcot - (very unlikely)

Anything beyond those projects seems extremely unlikely to be announced and opened like 2025. I hope an Animation Courtyard redo is on the way, and something taking over the Indy/Star Tours/Muppets plot.

I come from a time where I know Disney has done this a lot, and no way half of those are going to happen the way they presented them. The Pandora experience will not be a huge attraction so that one you should probably bump to the more likely than moderately likely.

We are not getting Moana/Zootpia AND Coco/Encanto/Villians. And not half of them before 2030. This quarter budget was a bust, things will be rocky for awhile and they would have to rush and start construction now.

They want to ride the Tron and Tiana/Moana New for awhile before physical construction starts. They will be doing what they did when Eisner was near his final years and IOA opened. They will let them have that win for a bit and counter with smaller but marketable things.

Here is a fun look at what Blue Sky announcements used to be. Many, nearly all never came to be.

MagicHappens1971

I come from a time where I know Disney has done this a lot, and no way half of those are going to happen the way they presented them. The Pandora experience will not be a huge attraction so that one you should probably bump to the more likely than moderately likely.

We are not getting Moana/Zootpia AND Coco/Encanto/Villians. And not half of them before 2030. This quarter budget was a bust, things will be rocky for awhile and they would have to rush and start construction now.

They want to ride the Tron and Tiana/Moana New for awhile before physical construction starts. They will be doing what they did when Eisner was near his final years and IOA opened. They will let them have that win for a bit and counter with smaller but marketable things.

Here is a fun look at what Blue Sky announcements used to be. Many, nearly all never came to be.

I get where you're coming from, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I think the theme park industry now exists in a much different world. Disney can do fast construction, and they could, they just usually opt-out to spread the costs. My bet would be to finalize planning for Coco/Encanto & Moana and announce this November @ Destination 23. And get construction started in 2024. And then maybe at D23 next year, they'll announce that Phase 2 of both of those lands is also on the way, get construction underway on those by 2025. I'm being ambitious and optimistic because I think and want Disney to be that way.

celluloid

I get where you're coming from, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I think the theme park industry now exists in a much different world. Disney can do fast construction, and they could, they just usually opt-out to spread the costs. My bet would be to finalize planning for Coco/Encanto & Moana and announce this November @ Destination 23. And get construction started in 2024. And then maybe at D23 next year, they'll announce that Phase 2 of both of those lands is also on the way, get construction underway on those by 2025. I'm being ambitious and optimistic because I think and want Disney to be that way.

I get the hope and it would be nice.
That Capex cut for this quarter though, and likely not fully rebounded resources so fast will not have them getting construction starting in 2024.

It would be nice, but that would be such a shift. Disney is not in a spot anymore to do that. They really need Tiana fast but even that retheme has taken them years.

Blue Sky phase is all we have for these projects. You are not getting the biggins before 2030.

Hollywood Studios would be desperate for another project by then as well. It and EPCOT are their most hurting parks right now.

MagicHappens1971

Blue Sky phase is all we have for these projects. You are not getting the biggins before 2030.

Hollywood Studios would be desperate for another project by then as well. It and EPCOT are their most hurting parks right now.
It'll be interesting to see what happens, because I would say that we'll have at least one of those projects (Coco/Encanto/Moana/Zootopia) underway and built by 2030. I think Epic will blow people away and Disney needs to be bold and keep people on Disney property. Universal adding a whole new park can cost Disney a lot of guests who will leave a day earlier because Disney hasn't really added anything.

celluloid

It'll be interesting to see what happens, because I would say that we'll have at least one of those projects (Coco/Encanto/Moana/Zootopia) underway and built by 2030. I think Epic will blow people away and Disney needs to be bold and keep people on Disney property. Universal adding a whole new park can cost Disney a lot of guests who will leave a day earlier because Disney hasn't really added anything.
For sure that is why they need to act fast.
Guests will not just leave a day earlier, but just spending their nights at Universal hotels as MK out of tradition and maybe one of the other parks that they favor will be what they blow their days on with more at Uni's three vs previous times onsite at Disney and more days there.

Last edited:

dennis-in-ct

In theory this is great to hear.

A single large-scale project probably isn't what's needed though. More accurately, each park needs additions or updates.

MK - While the park needs capacity, it could also stand to see some classics get some updates (Space, Peter Pan). I've long voiced my opinion on stuff that should be relocated or removed (it's a small world, Carousel of Progress and the Speedway), but I believe the easiest / least intrusive area to add capacity would be Adventureland unless someone else has another idea.

EPCOT - Desperately needs ride updates. It's received a couple of additions in recent years. Imagination has neededan update for 20 years at this point, nearly everything else in that park outside of Cosmic Rewind, The Land Pavilion, Ratatouille and Frozen need updates. Editor's Note: Don't view this as an endorsement of Frozen in EPCOT.

DHS - The park needs ride capacity. It also wouldn't hurt if every show in the park outside of Fantasmic was updated or replaced.

DAK - The park also needs significant ride capacity.

Epic Universe is expected to have a dozen+ rides. There's no reason Disney can't build or replace 2-3 attractions per park over the next 5 years. They won't, but they need to.
My guess is that Disney is waiting to see what is really being built at Epic Universe before they decide how they need to respond. After Epic announces their offerings, I be Disney will announce what they will build.

When islands of Adventure was being built, I don’t recall Disney counteracting in any way. If I remember correctly, Disney just ignored that Islands opened.

MagicHappens1971

My guess is that Disney is waiting to see what is really being built at Epic Universe before they decide how they need to respond. After Epic announces their offerings, I be Disney will announce what they will build.

When islands of Adventure was being built, I don’t recall Disney counteracting in any way. If I remember correctly, Disney just ignored that Islands opened.
There’s no reason for Disney to sit around and wait, EU will be Epic. Disney should start planning and building not sitting and waiting

yensidtlaw1969

Don't we know what's being built at Epic Universe? You can bet Disney knows in even greater detail.

They just don't seem to be concerned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom