News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

eddie104

At every single Disney Park around the world you can say their are several projects that don’t necessarily fit their respective areas. Unfortunately this is not something isolated to the domestic market.

I’m curious to see how this whole “expansion” turns out and what it entails.

KingMickey13

I’m actually quite excited for the Zootopia/Moana land. I like Dinosaur, but it’s definitely not my favorite and nothing else is really there anymore. I do love the little triceratops spin attraction, but most likely that will just be re-skinned.

SteamboatJoe

Interesting idea. I would much rather see coco and encanto around the Mexican pavilion at Epcot. I believe there is an expansion pad next to Mexico as well (around where Donald takes photos) that could always be used?
Coco also makes sense in Mexico because the land of the dead aesthetic lends itself to a dark ride. Wouldn't look right outside in the Florida sun. In the alternative, it could be an indoor ride in some sort of miniland north of Big Thunder.

doctornick

I have to imagine any expansion beyond current development would be into the vacant space east of Africa and north of Asia. While not geographically accurate, I have always wanted to see that become South America. The Three Caballeros could move in and make room for Coco in Mexico. Up and Encanto would fit in too (if IPs are a must).
The other smaller area I’ve always thought about is the land on the east side of the park between Africa and Pandora. It’s not a lot there and would involve some shifting of backstage but could fit a smaller land and help with that long walk between those two lands.

UNCgolf

Or maybe they could come to their senses and build a new land for Zootopia - make it an exact clone of Shanghai if need be to control costs - and keep Dinosaur/Dinoland as is (Moana can still replace the Dinorama area).

Zootopia in DAK is stupid but I’m more bothered by the idea of replacing rather than expanding.

I think a new land for Zootopia would probably be even worse, since it would let them build a city (like at Shanghai) which would be wildly out of place.

Regardless, I agree with your overall point. If this plan goes through, Animal Kingdom will have gained nothing. It will be a replacement attraction and a retheme for a net gain of 0. That's absurd for a park that needs more.

the_rich

I think a new land for Zootopia would probably be even worse, since it would let them build a city (like at Shanghai) which would be wildly out of place.

Regardless, I agree with your overall point. If this plan goes through, Animal Kingdom will have gained nothing. It will be a replacement attraction and a retheme for a net gain of 0. That's absurd for a park that needs more.
Well, let's be honest. The Moana ride would really be an addition. The amount of ppl that went on primeval whirl would pale in comparison to a Moana ride.

UNCgolf

Well, let's be honest. The Moana ride would really be an addition. The amount of ppl that went on primeval whirl would pale in comparison to a Moana ride.

Just because a ride will be busier doesn't really make it an addition -- both attractions could have been in use at the same time. Plus, it wasn't that unusual for Primeval Whirl to have 45-60 minute waits.

That said, Primeval Whirl was already demolished and it's just an empty space now. That definitely makes it different than if the ride was still operating and they were going to shut it down specifically to build Moana.

the_rich

Just because a ride will be busier doesn't really make it an addition -- both attractions could have been in use at the same time. Plus, it wasn't that unusual for Primeval Whirl to have 45-60 minute waits.

That said, Primeval Whirl was already demolished and it's just an empty space now. That definitely makes it different than if the ride was still operating and they were going to shut it down specifically to build Moana.
It was also terrible and painful to ride. There's a running joke in California that goofys sky school is disneys scariest ride and alot of people avoid it. I always did the same at primeval whirl (which is the same ride) after my first time riding it.

UNCgolf

It was also terrible and painful to ride. There's a running joke in California that goofys sky school is disneys scariest ride and alot of people avoid it. I always did the same at primeval whirl (which is the same ride) after my first time riding it.

Oh I had no interest in Primeval Whirl. Couldn't care less that it's gone.

I'm just saying that from a capacity standpoint, two operating rides is better than one.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
I think Bob sealed the deal on the Zootopia ride today with the sequel announcement.
From what Iger announced in the earnings report, he wants to have park capacity expanded by doing park expansions with new lands/rides without having existing stuff replaced, like the "beyond Big Thunder" project for example, which leads me to believe that the Zootopia/Moana project at Animal Kingdom won’t make the cut.

rle4lunch

Keep the boneyard, that's the only redeemable part of that land. Super easy retheme and it's quite possibly the best non attraction in all of WdW. My kids blow off steam there every visit.

The only thing that needs updated is that cheesy soundtrack they play with the same 6 songs. Oof.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom