News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

sullyinMT

Because the islands are failing, nature is failing, and her quest is to renew the relationship with Tafiti and the ocean, and get them back to what they are. You say dominate, I say commune. Last I heard, everyone continues to say AK is NOT a zoo, but instead conservation and showing true habitats and worlds. You don't think the Ocean is a great target for a habitat for AK?
I agree with this take, but isn’t the conservation side supposed to be tackled with the Moana experience in Epcot?

Now, if they use Moana to bring Oceania/South Pacific animal exhibits into the park (as well as the an awesome boat/flume attraction), then I have no issue with the add.

Zootopia bothers me way more.

DCLcruiser

How can animals be humans?
Well, first humans are animals. We are all animals.

Second, the movie does not take place on our "human Earth." It takes place in a world/planet where these creatures evolved into the dominant species and learned to cultivate agriculture, invented industry, became self-aware (clothing, self doubt, anxiety beyond kill/be killed), economics, computers, etc.

That is an issue with Zootopia at DAK. All other DAK lands/IP exist within our human world (Pandora has humans, as we know them) and many interact with humans (including Mickey/Minney I guess).

Last edited:

Mike S

Not sure if you're serious.

I'm not saying Moana is the answer, but it would be replacing Dinoland USA. It's not an exaggeration to say that allowing the Florida swamps to reclaim that whole area would be more cohesive to the park than Dinoland USA.
So make a better land that still focuses on Dinosaurs. Dinosaur can mostly stay with a modern update and completely start fresh with the rest starting with the Chester & Hester area. Dinosaurs are a huge thing and I think it’s a mistake to completely give up on it and just hand the market over completely to Jurassic Park at Universal. We know Disney can do amazing work so freaking do it.

Also for anyone bringing up Avatar here’s a video for you to watch. I also suggest his other stuff as it’s quite good.

Animaniac93-98

Moana really is the antithesis of Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Just because she is pre-industrial doesn’t mean she is all about harmony and respecting nature.

People will make up excuses for Moana because they like the movie and are always hungry for more rides at WDW, especially since the last time AK got one was 2017.

Despite their bigger box office, Zootopia and Avatar don't seem to be as broadly liked. Like Avatar though, I'm sure most Disney fans will be won over by the multitude of blog posts and YouTube videos that will try to justify it if indeed Zootopia does get built.

JMcMahonEsq

Man, people really overthink Disney animated movies lol
This to infinity and beyond!!

The fact that anyone believes there is some measurably significant portion of the Parks customer base that can pronounce "anthropomorphic" let along understand the term and think about the significance of if a ride in Park X based on that movie is better as opposed to the same ride only in Park Y is simply laughable.

Unless you are marketing a niche product, to a very specific demographic, you don't design or market to the extremes. You market to the masses. The masses want good rides, and shiny things to buy, and would love both to be based on something that they already know and like. I don't know if Zoopotia is that, Disney with their internal analytics would know better, but Moanna certainly would seem to fit the bill.

So if 95%, or even 90% of the market base doesn't think about where a ride is, as long as its good and they get to see their favorite familiar characters, why in the world would Disney spend additional time, efforts, or resources to just to get to that other 5-10%? Especially when your overall potential market base drastically exceeds the number of visitors you need to be profitable, and that frankly you can comfortably service?

If they go with Zootopia, here is what your going to see. Loads of shots of amazing rides and features from the existing parks. Social media post galore about "your favorite characters brought to life." You are going to see a Judy Hopps character standing right next to Mickey and Minnie, and no one is going to be talking about the anthropomorphic difference between the depiction of Mickey and Judy. All the morning news shows on ABC will be running stories about it, I can even see the tag line, the Animal World of Zootoia coming to Animal Kingdom.

Moanna is an even easier sell.

FettFan

Moana really is the antithesis of Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Just because she is pre-industrial doesn’t mean she is all about harmony and respecting nature.

Real kicker when you realize Moana’s father actually did a ritual sacrifice of his brother and blaming the ocean was just his way of coping with the guilt.

sullyinMT

This to infinity and beyond!!

The fact that anyone believes there is some measurably significant portion of the Parks customer base that can pronounce "anthropomorphic" let along understand the term and think about the significance of if a ride in Park X based on that movie is better as opposed to the same ride only in Park Y is simply laughable.

Unless you are marketing a niche product, to a very specific demographic, you don't design or market to the extremes. You market to the masses. The masses want good rides, and shiny things to buy, and would love both to be based on something that they already know and like. I don't know if Zoopotia is that, Disney with their internal analytics would know better, but Moanna certainly would seem to fit the bill.

So if 95%, or even 90% of the market base doesn't think about where a ride is, as long as its good and they get to see their favorite familiar characters, why in the world would Disney spend additional time, efforts, or resources to just to get to that other 5-10%? Especially when your overall potential market base drastically exceeds the number of visitors you need to be profitable, and that frankly you can comfortably service?

If they go with Zootopia, here is what your going to see. Loads of shots of amazing rides and features from the existing parks. Social media post galore about "your favorite characters brought to life." You are going to see a Judy Hopps character standing right next to Mickey and Minnie, and no one is going to be talking about the anthropomorphic difference between the depiction of Mickey and Judy. All the morning news shows on ABC will be running stories about it, I can even see the tag line, the Animal World of Zootoia coming to Animal Kingdom.

Moanna is an even easier sell.
That makes it easy for Disney to sell Pirates and Flying Carpets in the same vague land concept with Jungle Cruise.

It even makes the Hester & Chester concept of Dinoland a stretch, but sellable.

Disney ran “nahtazooo” advertising to a park tied to conservation and the human/animal/earth synergy we should strive to achieve. That makes Avatar a vague but not unreasonable connection.

“Nahtazoo” = nah to Zootopia for me. Add it to the mess of the neglected Animation Courtyard in HS if they must (and the attractions/land are a hit in SDL)

Big_Shakalaka

View attachment 666077
Moana would be Phase 1.

I tried to line these up as best as I could for perspective.
DINOLAND-MOANA.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom