News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Advisable Joseph

They are fundamentally human. They are animal only in their superficial traits.
They are fundamentally not human, as I mentioned. They have different needs stemming from their different biologies, living in a world not designed for humans.

Disney fans pick up on this, and become interested in the animals' real-world counterparts. Fans of Flash become interested in sloths, for example.

MagicHappens1971

They are fundamentally not human, as I mentioned. They have different needs stemming from their different biologies, iving in a world not designed for humans.

Disney fans pick up on this, and become interested in the animals' real-world counterparts. Fans of Flash become interested in sloths, for example.
Yes, but they’re anthropomorphic animals with human problems.

Advisable Joseph

The animals have to deal with different habitat needs. Some need cold homes, some do better in rain forests.

Also diet. This isn't very visible in the movie, depsite being worked out behind the scenes, but different animals need different things. Some need high protein. Some eat grass!

BlakeW39

They are fundamentally not human, as I mentioned. They have different needs stemming from their different biologies, living in a world not designed for humans.

Mmm...I mean yes, Zootopia's animals aren't literally humans... but they have basically human traits and live human lives. They live in human cities with human skyscrapers with human trains and wear human suits and dresses and have human hair styles in some cases... so, I'm sure that when the filmmakers were creating the film they did want them to feel like real animals in an animal civilization... but the basic problem here is that they live in a civilization to begin with. There's no way to spin that as an animal trait, it is something uniquely human that defines ONLY human beings.

Advisable Joseph

Mmm...I mean yes, Zootopia's animals aren't literally humans...
Don't fixate on the human. Fixate on the animal, the food, the habitats, the behaviors. Howling. Herds.

The parts which make guests ponder real animals.

The parts that make guests ask for Zootopia at Animal Kingdom. They are asking for it.

I must go for now.

mysto

Imagine if there were a 5th gate that nothing "fits" into. Might as well stuff a couple random IP themes into AK. Large corporations aren't creative but sometimes they get lucky and hire a creative individual. Rohde left so we're stuck with overpaid copycats until the next time an actually creative hire is given some clout.

MagicHappens1971

Imagine if there were a 5th gate that nothing "fits" into. Might as well stuff a couple random IP themes into AK. Large corporations aren't creative but sometimes they get lucky and hire a creative individual. Rohde left so we're stuck with overpaid copycats until the next time an actually creative hire is given some clout.
I don’t think it’s fair to imagineering to say there are no “creatives” left. They all do what they are told, if you are told to shove an IP into XYZ space or XYZ attraction, that’s what you do. I’m sure there are plenty of great Blue Sky ideas that don’t get past the “more relevant, more timeless, more Disney” committee.

BlakeW39

Large entertainment companies aren't creative these days, but I'd wager they were in the past.

Rumor has it they are planning a Lion King land for DLP.

Interesting, I would definitely enjoy that.

Honestly, I think people who have never lived on Hawaii or visited can't understand how the Hawaiian people truly live with the land and embrace harmony with nature.

I get that Hawaiian culture is very in tune with nature, and that's one reason Moana could fit in DAK better than some other IPs...but let's also not fool ourselves. While the theme of DAK may be broader than just animals... animals are still the main subject matter of Disney's Animal Kingdom. Any land at DAK should have a major focus on wildlife. Moana the movie didn't really include much wildlife at all. So if Moana were brought to DAK, it would need to be changed to include more wildlife. Just as the case was for Avatar.

Skibum1970

Mmm...I mean yes, Zootopia's animals aren't literally humans... but they have basically human traits and live human lives. They live in human cities with human skyscrapers with human trains and wear human suits and dresses and have human hair styles in some cases... so, I'm sure that when the filmmakers were creating the film they did want them to feel like real animals in an animal civilization... but the basic problem here is that they live in a civilization to begin with. There's no way to spin that as an animal trait, it is something uniquely human that defines ONLY human beings.

Exactly. The animals are walking around drinking coffee, ordering food at stores, and, in general, acting like humans. The humor pulls against some of the animal traits (ex arctic vs rain forest, how fast rabbits breed, herd behaviors), but the main focus is human-based actions. I would also argue that seeing Flash working at the BMV (which is a joke on how slow driver bureaus and not focused on actual sloth actions) would not encourage anyone to think, "Huh, I need to learn more about sloths." This is like using Spongebob at Sea World to show underwater life.

If Disney wanted to really lean into the animal size of AK, they would bring out more of their Nature films or Bambi. They could even go back to the old movies of "Charlie the Lonesome Cougar", "Yellowstone Cubs", and other Wonderful World of Disney movies to get source material.

MagicHappens1971

If Disney wanted to really lean into the animal size of AK, they would bring out more of their Nature films or Bambi. They could even go back to the old movies of "Charlie the Lonesome Cougar", "Yellowstone Cubs", and other Wonderful World of Disney movies to get source material.
Disney will develop new/original attractions/ideas before they dig out source material no one has ever heard of, like those two older films you mentioned.

BlakeW39

Exactly. The animals are walking around drinking coffee, ordering food at stores, and, in general, acting like humans. The humor pulls against some of the animal traits (ex arctic vs rain forest, how fast rabbits breed, herd behaviors), but the main focus is human-based actions. I would also argue that seeing Flash working at the BMV (which is a joke on how slow driver bureaus and not focused on actual sloth actions) would not encourage anyone to think, "Huh, I need to learn more about sloths." This is like using Spongebob at Sea World to show underwater life.

Haha well I think we all pretty much agree (outside one or two people) that Zootopia doesn't fit in Animal Kingdom. We'll just have to pray that Disney agrees with us.

To be honest I just really want another land as thematically rich as Africa or Asia. Honestly above that I would just take plussing and maintanence to Kali, E:E, and Dinosaur. Because that's what DAK needs most in my opinion

MagicHappens1971

To be honest I just really want another land as thematically rich as Africa or Asia. Honestly above that I would just take plussing and maintanence to Kali, E:E, and Dinosaur. Because that's what DAK needs most in my opinion
DAKs theming as a whole is incredible. Also this post is in no way a slight to you, just replying since it applies. A lot of people discredit Pandora because IP, but the amount of lore and painstaking detail but into it should not be ignored. While Dinoland USA may be jarring, the theming (the theme is poor) but its execution is phenomenal. I like TSL where the theme is alright, but the execution is horrible. I love DAK and wish Disney would build it up more and also build more parks like it, but I don’t see the latter happening. While I support the Moana addition, I fear that it may not be done as well as the rest of DAK.

Brer Panther

Okay, I have to ask, what are you arguing here?
I don't think Moana fits in Animal Kingdom. That's what I'm arguing.
Disney clearly thinks Moana deserves its own land but Lion King and Jungle Book do not. And objectively, Moana does have some similar themes to Animal Kingdom. So what's your point? Is Moana perfect for DAK? No. I wouldn't even say it's good. I'd say it's actually bad from a creative stand point. But that's because Disney's IP mandate doesn't really allow any good ideas for Animal Kingdom. Moana fits DAK better than any other modern ("relevant") Disney IP. Does it fit well, not really. But such is the way of things when Disney only wants to use relevant movies for new parks expansions.
Just because Disney's the one making the decisions doesn't mean we have to agree with 'em. It was their decision whether or not to get rid of Mr. Toad, but that doesn't stop people from complaining about it.
The value of nature and conservation is a key part of AK, not just animals.
That's like claiming we should put an attraction based on Flowers and Trees in Animal Kingdom because, hey, it's about nature.
Irrelevant. The story of Moana as told in the 2016 film would not fit in Animal Kingdom. Its focus is not on animals. DAK's focus is on animals. That isn't the THEME of the park...but it is the subject of the park, i.e. what the park is about.
Exactly.
And the characters in Moana are humans with human problems. Just saying.
While the theme of DAK may be broader than just animals... animals are still the main subject matter of Disney's Animal Kingdom. Any land at DAK should have a major focus on wildlife. Moana the movie didn't really include much wildlife at all.
Again, that's exactly my point. And, again, I sincerely doubt any Moana attractions are going to talk about or focus on wildlife at all.

Advisable Joseph

The humor pulls against some of the animal traits (ex arctic vs rain forest, how fast rabbits breed, herd behaviors), but the main focus is human-based actions.
You saw my post about John Lasseter wanting the movie to be about animals, not humans?
I would also argue that seeing Flash ... would not encourage anyone to think, "Huh, I need to learn more about sloths."
I don't follow. Heck Kristen Bell got interested in doing a sloth cameo because she loved real sloths. She made the connection.

Advisable Joseph

Just because Disney's the one making the decisions doesn't mean we have to agree with 'em. It was their decision whether or not to get rid of Mr. Toad, but that doesn't stop people from complaining about it.
People are saying it would ruin the park and getting bent out of shape.

I'm not committed to Zootopia in the park, but since it looks like that will happen in some form, since it is up next for expansion (and Zootopia is getting a sequel soon) and Iger said Epcot expansion is done for now, might as well look at the bright side.

It would be easier to get Disney to focus on the animal nature of the movie, and on the rain forest instead of downtown, than to get Disney to stop altogether. They could postpone downtown for a different park.

BubbaisSleep

After seeing how Zootopia is looking at Shanghai, it's more clear than ever that the property belongs in the Animation Courtyard at DHS. Cities don't belong in AK. I'm meh about Moana but I suppose they can tie it into the message of AK somehow. Hopefully this will bring new animal experiences too.

Advisable Joseph

Well, like I said, the option here is to get Disney to focus on less urban parts of the movie.

Epcot seems unlikely, though maybe not impossible, now that I think about it.

Stopping Zootopia is quixotic, a fool's errand.

BlakeW39

I don't think Moana fits in Animal Kingdom. That's what I'm arguing.

I agree, like I said there are a million better ideas imagineering could come up with. I'm just saying it would work better than most other Disney IPs would.

Agreed. I'm just trying to be realistic. If it were up to me, Moana wouldn't even touch DAK. But it isn't. So I'd rather them do Moana than Indy or Zootopia or something.

That's like claiming we should put an attraction based on Flowers and Trees in Animal Kingdom because, hey, it's about nature.

Again, agreed; advocating for the environment isn't enough to make something fit into the framework of Animal Kingdom.

Exactly.

And the characters in Moana are humans with human problems. Just saying.

Which is, again, why I said the story from 2016 wouldn't fit in DAK. They could however invent a new story with the characters of Moana that did fit in DAK a little better, though

Again, that's exactly my point. And, again, I sincerely doubt any Moana attractions are going to talk about or focus on wildlife at all.

We agree Moana as a movie wouldn't be a good fit for DAK. I'm simply making the point that imagineering could make it fit easier than they could Disney's other popular IPs.

That said though, I am not pro Moana at DAK! I don't know how that came across but look at my profile picture. Does it look like I'm the type of person who wants to stuff DAK with princess cartoons? No! I have NO interest in putting Moana in DAK. I just know Disney and I know they could do MUCH worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom