Zagat Reviews Airlines

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
http://www.zagat.com/airline

some of the results are quite interesting, and the numbers will surprise the countless southwest loyalists on this board ;)

For economy class:
#1- Midwest Airlines (23 points)
TIE #2- Virgin America (19 points)
TIE #2- Jetblue (19 points)
#4- Frontier Airlines (16 points)
#5- Hawaiian Airlines (15 points)

For premium class:
#1- Virgin America (24 points)
#2- Continental Airlines (20 points)
#3- Hawaiian Airlines (19 points)
#4- Alaska Airlines (18 points)
#5- Airtran Airways (16 points)

and as another bonus, Orlando International Airport was ranked #4 among US airports (with Tampa as #1)

Rob562

http://www.zagat.com/airline

some of the results are quite interesting, and the numbers will surprise the countless southwest loyalists on this board ;)

For economy class:
#1- Midwest Airlines (23 points)
TIE #2- Virgin America (19 points)
TIE #2- Jetblue (19 points)
#4- Frontier Airlines (16 points)
#5- Hawaiian Airlines (15 points)

For premium class:
#1- Virgin America (24 points)
#2- Continental Airlines (20 points)
#3- Hawaiian Airlines (19 points)
#4- Alaska Airlines (18 points)
#5- Airtran Airways (16 points)

and as another bonus, Orlando International Airport was ranked #4 among US airports (with Tampa as #1)

Well, as I guess I'm a "Southwest Loyalist"... ;)

Almost the only place I ever fly is to Orlando. (I can actually say that I've flown in and out of Orlando more times than any other airport, because I've used 4 different airports over the years to fly down there). And with the exception of JetBlue, none of the Top 5 goes to Orlando from the northeast unless you want a 9+ hour travel time flying halfway across the country to make a connection on what is normally a 3-3.5 hour non-stop trip...
And flying JetBlue would mean having to fly out of Logan. (Yuck) I fly out of Manchester, NH.

Also of note is that the Overall rating was based on averaging Comfort, Service and Food. Because Southwest doesn't serve food other than peanuts and beverages, it was hurt by its low Food score. Going on an average of just Comfort and Service, Southwest would have taken Hawaiian's 5th place Overall.
(Also worth pointing out that Southwest took the #1 spots for Timeliness and Website.)

Get Virgin America into New England, get them to fly to Orlando, and I'll give them a try. :)

-Rob

The Mom

Premium Member
Many of us in smaller cities are captive to certain airlines, unless we want to add driving time unto our travel time.

It is very hard to get a direct flight to ANYWHERE from my city, and travelling to Orlando would add an extra 4-5 hours , which is about the same as all of the transfers.

BUT, there are sometimes ways to minimize the pain, IF you're willing to pay a little more. But often, you are going to have connecting flights with long layovers, no matter what you do.

The downside to SW's "on-time" departures is that they don't generally hold flights, even if your delay is their fault. So, you can be 5 minutes late making a connection, but your flight will be long gone, forcing you to the back of the line, or even stand-by, for the next flight out...if there is one.

My daughter sent me her flight info for Christmas, and I can guarantee that she will not make her connecting flights on either trip. She's mailing her gifts, has extra toiletries here, and knows she can do laundry daily, so she'll only have her oversized tote so won't have to worry about luggage.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The Mom, I learned the hard way to NEVER be on the last flight to your destination of the night.

And the voucher for travel as compensation? They're usually useless :p

Rob562

The Mom, I learned the hard way to NEVER be on the last flight to your destination of the night.

At least Southwest has switched to electronic "LUV Vouchers" instead of the paper vouchers. A couple years ago I apparently got one of their last paper vouchers, which required phoning in my reservation and then driving to the airport to purchase the ticket. (A 50-minute drive each way) I was also not able to get any web-only specials. Now with the LUV Vouchers, you use it essentially like a gift card, and can use it online.

-Rob

The Mom

Premium Member

Don't I know it. One summer, bad storms in the southeast, connecting in Charlotte, 15 month old -diaper -wearing daughter, chance of last flight out being cancelled. The flight finally left, but after several hours of delay, and debating whether we would stay in a hotel and wait until AM, or rent a car and drive all night so my husband, who was still in the Navy, wouldn't be AWOL in the AM. (Not quite AWOL, but he had a full schedule, so a lot of people would be upset, including his CO.)

My daughter hasn't quite caught on yet; sometimes it's worth paying $100 extra to save yourself the hassle, especially since the ticket is on MY credit card. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom