Your view on old posts resurfacing lately

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
What bothers me is usually when someone responds to the old thread, the snide remark that generally is quick to respond. It's one thing to point out that the thread is old if it was a time sensitive issue but I typically feel the remarks are geared toward the rude side when pointing out the thread is old.
I'd say it depends on what the new reply is doing. If it adds new context, clarifies old context, or updates the original thread, more power to it.

If, however, it answers a question posed by a poster who hasn't been seen here in more than a year, I'll roll my eyes... literally where I am, and figuratively in the same said thread.

Mr Mindcrime

So here might be an interesting thought.... how often have you seen on this forum (and many others you may participate in) where someone asks a question that has been answered a thousand times and someone comments "Please use the search feature to find older threads that discuss your question ad nauseum". So if that's the common wisdom, then we should probably expect those that actually do this to maybe have questions or comments on the older thread they find in the search.

Or they could just start a new thread and get beat up for starting a thread on a topic previously addressed..... :cool:

stratman50th

I'm thinking not much going on now, I mean how many "When will Disney open back up?" "Will you still go if you have to wear a mask?" Etc. threads? Some people like to read through the old stuff just as a matter of interest, curiosity and a little boredom. I have asked in an old thread, "So what did you decided to do?" "After all the advice, how did the trip turn out?" I'm actually interested in what the decision of the OP ended up being after they posted. Some threads are for reading, some are for answering, and some are for ignoring because they probably were posted as an attention getting vehicle. Leave the old threads alone. If people didn't care they would march on into oblivion. If people found something of interest they will respond in some way.

Last edited:

danyoung56

I don't really have a problem with it. It can come as a surprise sometimes, like when you see a thread about whether or not Horizons is closing, etc. But it's pretty easy to see dates a comment was posted, so most intelligent folks can figger it out.

Moka

Don't have a problem with it as long as it's relevant like many others are saying. I don't want to see a thousand other threads of the same topic. And locking it wouldn't be so good, because they don't want duplicate threads. (And the use the search thing would be ultimately useless if you can't really interact with them in my opinion). Just easier to leave them unlocked in case something develops regarding the specific topic.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So here might be an interesting thought.... how often have you seen on this forum (and many others you may participate in) where someone asks a question that has been answered a thousand times and someone comments "Please use the search feature to find older threads that discuss your question ad nauseum". So if that's the common wisdom, then we should probably expect those that actually do this to maybe have questions or comments on the older thread they find in the search.

Or they could just start a new thread and get beat up for starting a thread on a topic previously addressed..... :cool:
Nothing wrong with starting a thread with "I tried searching, but the search engine can't handle the thread with two million posts in it..."

AndyS2992

It happens because someone will Google a question, and the old thread with matching criteria will appear at the top of the search results and so they click on it and read through it and then make and account and respond to it but they neglect to look at the date of posting. Newbie error.

Bpmorley

So I've noticed it occasionally in the past, but more so lately than before, that old posts are being re-addressed by people. Some of them are from a loooong time ( years ) ago. I'm assuming because of the Covid situation resulting in Disney shutdowns, many Disney fans are not posting as many new items in the WDWMagic categories. So I noticed when someone has posted on an old topic, its pointed out to them... in ways similar to.. Why are you bringing back this topic thats about something that was from so long ago?
So I'm asking all of you....
Should these ancient posts be locked so they wont be popping up again because someone added their reply to a years old query?
Do you like re-reading posts about topics someone asked about 4, 5 or more years ago?
Before you click on a post do you even look at the original date when the post originated and does it interest you to read a new reply?
How long ago does an old post become irrelevant to you?
Do you enjoy reading everything no matter how old a topic it is ?
Or do you tend to ignore ancient posts?

Whats your interest in ancient posts with new replies???
I think it has to do with new members to DVC and more time on people hands at the moment.

Pepper's Ghost

It happens because someone will Google a question, and the old thread with matching criteria will appear at the top of the search results and so they click on it and read through it and then make and account and respond to it but they neglect to look at the date of posting. Newbie error.
This! Very this. Having been a member for a while, in recent history I've Googled for info and been directed to a thread on these forums, replied, and then realized how old the thread was. It does happen, but I'm wiser now having done it only a couple dozen times. 🤪 I totally agree though that when someone dredges up an old thread and doesn't add value in their response, or the thread is obsolete because it was a question for an upcoming trip that's 5 years old... yeah, that's kind of a head scratcher. I've not been immune for mentioning that someone recently responded to a 19 year old thread with a last post from pre-9/11. :) It was well deserved IMO given the circumstances and post content.

I think it has to do with new members to DVC and more time on people hands at the moment.
@Bpmorley - Why would you dredge up this thread that was over 40 days old??? :eek:🤪🙃🤣 LOL

Btw, I don't want to fast forward my life any faster than it's already going, but hope I get to see when this thread gets bumped in 4 or 5 years. Hope I'm the one to do it too. 😁🤪

Bpmorley

This! Very this. Having been a member for a while, in recent history I've Googled for info and been directed to a thread on these forums, replied, and then realized how old the thread was. It does happen, but I'm wiser now having done it only a couple dozen times. 🤪 I totally agree though that when someone dredges up an old thread and doesn't add value in their response, or the thread is obsolete because it was a question for an upcoming trip that's 5 years old... yeah, that's kind of a head scratcher. I've not been immune for mentioning that someone recently responded to a 19 year old thread with a last post from pre-9/11. :) It was well deserved IMO given the circumstances and post content.

@Bpmorley - Why would you dredge up this thread that was over 40 days old??? :eek:🤪🙃🤣 LOL

Btw, I don't want to fast forward my life any faster than it's already going, but hope I get to see when this thread gets bumped in 4 or 5 years. Hope I'm the one to do it too. 😁🤪
Well there is nothing to stop anyone from doing it

Jon81uk

If their post adds value, or they are asking a question, why not?

Good conversation is timeless.....and the best part is, if you don't want to, you can skip that thread.

The exception is when someone asks a trip planning question and someone gives an answer five years later. Most likely, the OP has been on their trip. But if someone has a similar question and wants fresh answers then using an old thread makes sense.

MickeyMouse10

I think old posts should only come back if someone is actually adding something to the conversation. If they are just posting to bump it then their comment should be deleted.

The thread shouldn't be locked though in case others want to actually bring something to the table.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom