Your view on old posts resurfacing lately

JIMINYCR

Original Poster
So I've noticed it occasionally in the past, but more so lately than before, that old posts are being re-addressed by people. Some of them are from a loooong time ( years ) ago. I'm assuming because of the Covid situation resulting in Disney shutdowns, many Disney fans are not posting as many new items in the WDWMagic categories. So I noticed when someone has posted on an old topic, its pointed out to them... in ways similar to.. Why are you bringing back this topic thats about something that was from so long ago?
So I'm asking all of you....
Should these ancient posts be locked so they wont be popping up again because someone added their reply to a years old query?
Do you like re-reading posts about topics someone asked about 4, 5 or more years ago?
Before you click on a post do you even look at the original date when the post originated and does it interest you to read a new reply?
How long ago does an old post become irrelevant to you?
Do you enjoy reading everything no matter how old a topic it is ?
Or do you tend to ignore ancient posts?

Whats your interest in ancient posts with new replies???

Katelynbird

I am new here and I guess my question is for those that do reply to these topics that are years old are they adding relative information to the topic with their post? Does the post add to the topic? If so then what does it really matter, I guess. Now if the post is just responding to someone else and saying, "I agree" or something like that I can see the problem in that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It happens all the time on pretty every forum in existence.

Locking threads is not a great option as it would force users to create a different thread to add relevant information.

Some simply do not think to look at the date on a thread before replying. I have been guilty of this myself.

Lastly, some are just trolls that do it for whatever reason trolls do what they do.

In the end, the best way to deal with it is often to just ignore it and move on.

Shouldigo12

Personally I would rather people respond to old threads than have people start half a dozen threads on the same topic. The only exception is when threads where people were asking for advice/trip planning help and someone responds way past the point where the advice could be of any help (although I myself am guilty of this one; it's surprisingly easy to forget you're twenty pages deep in the Trip Planning forum and these trips are long past over!)

Smiley/OCD

So I've noticed it occasionally in the past, but more so lately than before, that old posts are being re-addressed by people. Some of them are from a loooong time ( years ) ago. I'm assuming because of the Covid situation resulting in Disney shutdowns, many Disney fans are not posting as many new items in the WDWMagic categories. So I noticed when someone has posted on an old topic, its pointed out to them... in ways similar to.. Why are you bringing back this topic thats about something that was from so long ago?
So I'm asking all of you....
Should these ancient posts be locked so they wont be popping up again because someone added their reply to a years old query?
Do you like re-reading posts about topics someone asked about 4, 5 or more years ago?
Before you click on a post do you even look at the original date when the post originated and does it interest you to read a new reply?
How long ago does an old post become irrelevant to you?
Do you enjoy reading everything no matter how old a topic it is ?
Or do you tend to ignore ancient posts?

Whats your interest in ancient posts with new replies???
OK, a couple of things...first, I too have started reading a thread and replied only to find out it's old. If it has time sensitive information, it's useless to respond (obviously), but as this subject is a sore point with you, (so much so that you had to start a thread about it), I too would rather respond to one thread and add pertinent info. to it than have tens of threads pertaining to COVID-19 for example. If the mods didn't want responses, better than locking them, delete the whole thread or start a new category for vintage/classic threads. I ALWAYS love to read the new info. on the Buzzy theft or Katiebug. Right now, fans are going thru WDW withdrawal BIG TIME and may have too much free time on their hands...I know, because we are supposed to be there RIGHT NOW for 10 days. Perhaps you also have too much free time on your hands that you had to start this thread to begin with? Just sayin...

ppete1975

I feel more like the idiot when I respond to a thread then notice its a recently bumped 8 year old thread that the poster im responding to prob hasn't been on here in years.
The person that bumped the thread doesn't annoy me any more than people making up random threads like "your view on old post resurfacing lately"

NelleBelle

What bothers me is usually when someone responds to the old thread, the snide remark that generally is quick to respond. It's one thing to point out that the thread is old if it was a time sensitive issue but I typically feel the remarks are geared toward the rude side when pointing out the thread is old.

Po'Rich

I wouldn't mind some information being added to the WDWMagic.com homescreen to include the date (or even just the year) of the first post along with the time of the latest post. There's been more than one time that I clicked on an resurrected about a change to an attraction only to find out that the thread was from more than 5 years ago. However, I wouldn't want to have a thread locked simply because it is deemed "old."

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I think most times its new members that suddenly want to get involved in every thread and pay no attention to the fact that it was from 2009.
I never go into those threads because I'm guessing many are like me and don't want to drudge up old info and opinions.
I do find it a tad annoying but I also wouldn't say anything to the person that posted.
I do think that threads should be locked after a certain amount of time.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I wouldn't mind some information being added to the WDWMagic.com homescreen to include the date (or even just the year) of the first post along with the time of the latest post. There's been more than one time that I clicked on an resurrected about a change to an attraction only to find out that the thread was from more than 5 years ago. However, I wouldn't want to have a thread locked simply because it is deemed "old."

I can see when threads were created as I scroll through.

Disvillain63

The old post don't bother me either way. Sometimes I find the information useful. Sometimes it's kinda fun to walk down memory lane. If I am not interested, then I don't click.

I don't believe that @jiminycr found the old posts to be a sore point or bothersome. I think it was an observation and curiosity, maybe due to some of the negative remarks when an old post appears. He had a question and asked.

cat hem

I tend to run into old threads searching for some new info. I also like to read how the thread morphed over time. Many times an old thread takes a serious left turn and no longer responds to the initial inquiry. But I've also been guilty of not looking at a date before responding.

JIMINYCR

Original Poster
but as this subject is a sore point with you, (so much so that you had to start a thread about it),
Perhaps you also have too much free time on your hands that you had to start this thread to begin with? Just sayin...

Never said I was bothered by it. Yes I do have more free time now just like the majority of people stuck inside. I posted the query because I was interested in how others felt about ancient posts being resurfaced.

I don't believe that @jiminycr found the old posts to be a sore point or bothersome. I think it was an observation and curiosity, maybe due to some of the negative remarks when an old post appears. He had a question and asked.

Yes.. Exactly why I was asking. I thought it would be interesting to see different perspectives because apparently it does bother some people from their response to a comment posted to an original post from 5 years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom