your most memorable disney memory

bandtrumpet

Original Poster
I would say that it would be the 1st time that i saw the castle last year on my first trip!

I thought that this would be fun!

Enjoy!

durangojim

Proposing to my girlfriend 5 years ago, now my wife, at the Grand Flordian and the night that followed, and then last year when we took our 1 1/2 month old son to WDW for the first time:)

durangojim

bandtrumpet said:
^^Wow that sounds awsome, how did u do it?

I'm assuming you mean how did I propose, and not something else (like how our son came to be):lol:

It was at the end of August and I told my gf that I had made special dinner reservations that night so we'd have to get dressed up. I told her that I wanted to take her for a walk before dinner (we were staying at the GF) so we walked down to the wedding pavilion (this was in the evening but it was still about 88 out and very humid). My plan was that we'd walk around the back like we had done many times before to the trellis where the castle is right behind you and I'd propose there, but as fate has a funny way of playing tricks on you, the wedding chapel was closed for the evening. So trying to think quickly, I said let's walk back to the room and get freshened up before dinner (I was sweating from the heat), so we walked back and we were staying in Sago Cay and there is just a little area just at the end of the left side of the marina where you have a beautiful view of the castle, so we walked down there. I got down on my knee, pulled out a porcelain enamel box with an image of Mickey giving flowers to Minnie that I had put her ring in, said some lovely words to her, and the rest is history. We dined at Victoria and Alberts that night and I had asked the concierge to make sure we had roses and champagne in our room when we returned, they also included a Congratulations card from Mickey and Minnie as well as some chocolate covered strawberries as surprises. When we got back to our room much later that night we took a video recorder and told the camera what had happened earlier that evening and all the wonderful experiences we had. It was a great way to preserve the feelings and memories of that special moment.
Bringing our son here last October (and then December, May, and September coming up) was kind of an extension of that first evening long ago. It will be really great to be able to tell him that "this is where Daddy asked Mommy to marry him" and be standing in the exact same spot. We could also show him where he was conceived (at the Wilderness lodge) but I won't go into detail about that:lol:. I think we'll wait to tell him that story until he maybe has his own special girlfriend and we can really embarass him. Hopefully on a family trip to WDW.:sohappy:

ZapperZ

I don't think my story can compete with durangojim, especially since no one was conceived during my special moment :), but in any case, here it is.

This was about 2 years ago. It was one of those wet, raining evening at The Magic Kingdom. You knew, even by late afternoon, that it was going to be rainy. We still didn't leave because we wanted to watch Wishes, and there were people in our party that hasn't seen it before. So we were determine to stay, armed with our ponchos. I asked one of the cast members to see if Wishes would still go on if it only rains and not not have high winds and stuff. He said yes, it will still go on if it only rains. So that made us want to stay even more.

Our group decided to watch it from a covered area in Tomorrowland right before the bridge. However, having seen it many times before, I knew that I the best place was still right at the end of Main Street by the circle. So I told everyone that when it was going to start, I'm going to walk up there and see Wishes from that spot, and to meet each other afterwards. The rain has started to come down, not heavily, but still enough for you to get wet. We were all in our ponchos. So when it was getting close to the starting time, I walked out into the rain and stood at my favorite spot.

Wishes went on schedule. There weas no Tink flying off from the castle, but the rest was as spectacular as ever. Due to the rain, it wasn't crowded at all, but there were still quite a few people standing out there in the rain with me. As I was being dazzled by the fireworks and listening to the music, something just clicked in my head. Here I was, standing there by myself, rain pouring on my face and seeping under my poncho, being aware that I'm getting soaked, with my shoes completely wet, and I realized that at that moment in time, there was no where else that I'd rather be than right there. Through the soaring music, I felt goosebumps and my emotion welled up inside me, and I couldn't tell if I shed a tear or not since my face was already soaking wet.

It was at that point that I knew that this "connection" that I have with this place was something unusual, and wasn't something fleeting. The realization that even soaking wet, I was still happy where I was at, convinced me that for the rest of my life, I will keep coming back.

I have never forgotten that moment, because among other things, it was the impetus for us buying into the DVC. But more than anything else, it was my own self-realization how much WDW has affected me, and how much it has meant to me.

Zz.

JEDIsney

ZapperZ said:
I don't think my story can compete with durangojim, especially since no one was conceived during my special moment :), but in any case, here it is.

This was about 2 years ago. It was one of those wet, raining evening at The Magic Kingdom. You knew, even by late afternoon, that it was going to be rainy. We still didn't leave because we wanted to watch Wishes, and there were people in our party that hasn't seen it before. So we were determine to stay, armed with our ponchos. I asked one of the cast members to see if Wishes would still go on if it only rains and not not have high winds and stuff. He said yes, it will still go on if it only rains. So that made us want to stay even more.

Our group decided to watch it from a covered area in Tomorrowland right before the bridge. However, having seen it many times before, I knew that I the best place was still right at the end of Main Street by the circle. So I told everyone that when it was going to start, I'm going to walk up there and see Wishes from that spot, and to meet each other afterwards. The rain has started to come down, not heavily, but still enough for you to get wet. We were all in our ponchos. So when it was getting close to the starting time, I walked out into the rain and stood at my favorite spot.

Wishes went on schedule. There weas no Tink flying off from the castle, but the rest was as spectacular as ever. Due to the rain, it wasn't crowded at all, but there were still quite a few people standing out there in the rain with me. As I was being dazzled by the fireworks and listening to the music, something just clicked in my head. Here I was, standing there by myself, rain pouring on my face and seeping under my poncho, being aware that I'm getting soaked, with my shoes completely wet, and I realized that at that moment in time, there was no where else that I'd rather be than right there. Through the soaring music, I felt goosebumps and my emotion welled up inside me, and I couldn't tell if I shed a tear or not since my face was already soaking wet.

It was at that point that I knew that this "connection" that I have with this place was something unusual, and wasn't something fleeting. The realization that even soaking wet, I was still happy where I was at, convinced me that for the rest of my life, I will keep coming back.

I have never forgotten that moment, because among other things, it was the impetus for us buying into the DVC. But more than anything else, it was my own self-realization how much WDW has affected me, and how much it has meant to me.

Zz.
That was perfect. You just made me cry, seriously.

You described the same way I feel when I go to Disney, but I'm never able to get it out like you did, thank you.

Uponastar

JEDIsney said:
That was perfect. You just made me cry, seriously.

You described the same way I feel when I go to Disney, but I'm never able to get it out like you did, thank you.

Agreed. I know the feeling that ZapperZ is talking about, that moment when the connection is so strong it's like a force has taken control of you. A sweet force. Somehow, it makes it that much sweeter knowing that others feel it too.

JEDIsney

Uponastar said:
Agreed. I know the feeling that ZapperZ is talking about, that moment when the connection is so strong it's like a force has taken control of you. A sweet force. Somehow, it makes it that much sweeter knowing that others feel it too.
Exactly! I agree, it is much sweeter knowing that you're not the only one who feels it. :)

SallyShine

My special moment took place on a Disney Cruise. My youngest son (then 6) got all dressed up to get his picture taken with Lilo and Stitch, his favorites. When we got there, the line was very long. We were almost to the front when they announced that Lilo and Stitch had to leave. I couldn't believe it! My son was so upset. I went to the desk to complain, nicely, about what happened. We received a call the next morning asking Patrick to come to a certain place, that evening, for a surprise. When we got there, we were in an empty bar. What? The next thing we know, ALL of the characters from the cruise were surrounding Patrick, making a huge fuss over him. They even knew his name! And guess who made the biggest fuss? Stitch, of course. I will never believe that anyone does magic better than Disney.

Craig & Lisa

The best moment was when we had made friends with a CM on our way down to WDW on the plane, and she told us her name was Stephanine, well she was in FLK show at AK. She forgot to mention that she was playing KABIBI, one of the main singers. Well afterwards we were taken off to one side to meet her and she brought out almost the whole cast of the show in costume. We got a picture with them and Timon's autograph, our sons at the time were about 5 and 3 1/2 and had soooo much eye candy they didn't know what to do, just incredible. :sohappy: 21 days and counting for our second visit this year, NOT SOON ENOUGH!!! :D

M:SpilotISTC12

It was back in 2003 I was 13 years old and M:S wasnt open yet. I knew that there might be soft opening that day. So we went around Epcot and they said that M:S would be open at 7 so I was at Mexico and I wanted to ride it so badly and it started to rain. I was running past TT and it felt perfect and magical. I went past the CMs at the door and was at planetary plaza and I stood out in the rain and took in the site. Looking at the huge Mars in the rain. It felt special. I waited about 10 for it. I was so anxious. I rode it and I wanted more. So I went back online and did again. When I went outside after my 2nd time Illuminations was almost over watched the rest of that from M:S and left back to my room. It was the most amazing day at Epcot.

HHI Surfer

Magical at the time, kind of a bittersweet memory looking back on it because of what happened after, but..

A couple summers ago my family and some friends made a trip down to Disney World. We spent a couple days in our house in Hilton Head, both to relax and to not have to drive so far to get to Disney. We got up and left at 6 in the morning and spent the whole day at Epcot.. needless to say, we were all exhausted by closing time. Everyone headed back to the Contemporary for some rest.. except for me and my girlfriend at the time, since the MK was open for another hour and, being the fanatic that I am, I hated wasting any time we had at the World. Since it was so close to closing time the lines were very short and we rode Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and PotC in that hour.. just me and her, which was amazing, since Disney World is the height of romance for me (sadly? lol).

But the nicest part was what happened after. We got out of Pirates after the park had closed and instead of heading towards the exit and fighting the crowd, we decided to stick around and walk about a bit. We ended up staying there for an hour - it was so nice being in the nearly empty park, walking around all the lands and being almost completely alone. My most vivid memory of the night is walking through the little garden walk at the end of Main Street right before you get to the castle.. it was incredible.

If you've never spent some time in the parks after closing, I highly recommend it :) Sooo nice to see the things you normally don't because there are so many people. And it's a great chance to reflect back on your memories from that day.

Glenno

Dreams do come true.

This is my first post here and I can't think of a better topic to reply to.

My earlirest memories of Disney probably start around the age of 4 or 5 when my father used to read to me before bedtime. He'd tuck me in tightly and read me a story with Pinocchio being my favourite by far. I'd marvel at the intricate drawings of the characters and listen intently as every lie made Pinocchios nose grow.

Many years later as a child in a little country town in Australia I fondly remember 5.00 pm on Sunday evenings. It was Disney time. The show would start with a prelude from Walt himself and then the whole family would settle down to watch either the cartoon or story that followed. This was now over 30 years ago and I can still remember the closing scenes with fireworks exploding over Cinderellas castle. I'd always dream of one day going there and seeing it myself.

A lot of water went under the bridge between those years and now but it was a dream I still held.

Feb 2005 on a cold but clear winter night saw myself, my wife and my then 5 month old son standing in front of Cinderellas castle at WDW on the other side of the world. The dream was about to come true.

The music started, the first firework illuminated the night sky and the tears welling in my eyes turned into a steady stream. I looked at my little son wrapped up tightly in his pram and wondered what his dreams might one day hold.

I got it together to take some video of the rest of the show and it still has the same effect everytime I watch it. It truly was a powerful moment that I'm sure will remain with me for a long time.

Sadly my father passed away this year. His birthday and our anniversary date is December 15th which I believe is the date that Walt died. This year we are coming back and plan to spend this day at WDW to celebrate our marriage and my fathers life. I'm not sure if "wishes" is scheduled to happen on this day but we are going to be there just the same. Dreams are too special to re-live only once.

dreamteacher

Glenno said:

My earlirest memories of Disney probably start around the age of 4 or 5 when my father used to read to me before bedtime. He'd tuck me in tightly and read me a story with Pinocchio being my favourite by far. I'd marvel at the intricate drawings of the characters and listen intently as every lie made Pinocchios nose grow.

Many years later as a child in a little country town in Australia I fondly remember 5.00 pm on Sunday evenings. It was Disney time. The show would start with a prelude from Walt himself and then the whole family would settle down to watch either the cartoon or story that followed. This was now over 30 years ago and I can still remember the closing scenes with fireworks exploding over Cinderellas castle. I'd always dream of one day going there and seeing it myself.

A lot of water went under the bridge between those years and now but it was a dream I still held.

Feb 2005 on a cold but clear winter night saw myself, my wife and my then 5 month old son standing in front of Cinderellas castle at WDW on the other side of the world. The dream was about to come true.

The music started, the first firework illuminated the night sky and the tears welling in my eyes turned into a steady stream. I looked at my little son wrapped up tightly in his pram and wondered what his dreams might one day hold.

I got it together to take some video of the rest of the show and it still has the same effect everytime I watch it. It truly was a powerful moment that I'm sure will remain with me for a long time.

Sadly my father passed away this year. His birthday and our anniversary date is December 15th which I believe is the date that Walt died. This year we are coming back and plan to spend this day at WDW to celebrate our marriage and my fathers life. I'm not sure if "wishes" is scheduled to happen on this day but we are going to be there just the same. Dreams are to special to relive only once.
I got the chills and even started crying just from reading it. Thank you. Sorry for the loss of your dad. Welcome to the Board.

JEDIsney

Glenno said:

Sadly my father passed away this year. His birthday and our anniversary date is December 15th which I believe is the date that Walt died. This year we are coming back and plan to spend this day at WDW to celebrate our marriage and my fathers life. I'm not sure if "wishes" is scheduled to happen on this day but we are going to be there just the same. Dreams are to special to relive only once.
What a powerful moment, surely memorable. You have made a great first post.

I am very sorry for the loss of your father.

Welcome to the boards! You will love it here.

Having my Jungle Cruise Skipper in February tell me to stay in school or else I'd end up with his job (he had no idea, but for about 4 years, I've dreamed of Skippering the Cruise) and then passing his hat to me, pulling me up, and handing the steering wheel over to me (again, no prompting on my part, he had no idea he was fulfilling my dream as much as it could be as a guest). I got to go through Shirley's Temple, and he let me speil a bit once I sat down- I did the Chief Nami and Paradocks bits :D

Hilite of my trip, it's a shame the pictures of me look absolutely awful. I still cherish them, just with a little less showing off than I normally would, ahhaha.

Nansafan

So many trips, so many memorable moments. My sister, brother and I went to D-Land a year after our mom passed just to get out of Chicago, fun trip the 3 of us taking together all in our 30's. As far as memorable moments go, one of my favorites is not as sentimental as all the others but is still one of the ones I always think of when thinking of WDW. Our first trip with our son, he being 6 was in 1993. Four of us drove down and my sister flew down 2 days later to meet us. We visited MK on Monday. My sister really hates Small World and made me promise to see it before she got there so she wouldn't have to do it. Well my son, her godson, thought it was so cool, "Auntie Lolo has to see this when she gets here!" We visited MK later in the week with my sister and my son told her that she had to see Small World because "you would love it Lolo, it has all these dolls and you collect dolls." My brother, husband and I just cracked up since she couldn't refuse her godson anything and had to ride Small World.

parker kim

One of the greatest moments for us was in 2001 our first day there and we arrived early hop ing that the park might open earlyer than post. So we waited in the castle at the rope for proble 45 mins. We were one of the first in line talked to a couple with a set of twin girls. A cast member came over and asked my son 8 then. If he would be the pirate ship captial. So he got to wave the flag and grrrr. and open fantacyland that day we have viedo its was the greatest thing. Thay even gave us a card to go to the front of the line. then not more than 10 mins. later my almost 3years old daught walked hand in hand with mickey through the park.

chonduu

My memory

The night after i was married this year ( may 21 for those keeping score) my new wife and i was standing in Mk at the end of main street watching wishes .. i standing behind her arms drapped over her and me just crying like no tommorow when the song when you wish upon a star was playing..

for you see i chased this girl off and on for 13 years and finally my dream came true ..

a few hours earlier one of her dreams came true .. she got a picture with her 2 favorite people .. me and Pooh !! hehe

already planning the one year anniversary ..next may 20 going to go to church at the church we were married at and then hop a plane to disney and may 21 i am going to be watching wishes in the same spot ..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom