Your Least Favorite DLR Signage Ever?

NobodyElse

That's a good find. Definitely from this era:
katinlogoxg2.jpg

DLR92

Honestly, it the signage along the outer perimeter of the DLR. They don't give the surrounding area "world class destination" feel.

DLR92

That's because Anaheim, CA isn't a world-class city. What exactly should the outer signage look like?

I know Anaheim just doesn't compare to New York City, London, Paris, and Tokyo. But the signage just bugs me. It look cheap. I think a simple short stone panel wall with Disneyland Resort would have been perfect and an arch trellis with Roses or some type of attractive vine fine would have worked much better than what currently on Harbor.

TP2000

I know Anaheim just doesn't compare to New York City, London, Paris, and Tokyo. But the signage just bugs me. It look cheap. I think a simple short stone panel wall with Disneyland Resort would have been perfect and an arch trellis with Roses or some type of attractive vine fine would have worked much better than what currently on Harbor.

That's a very valid point. I hadn't thought of it like that. It's not pretty on Harbor Blvd. But for those who have been to Tokyo Disneyland, as fabulous as that place is once you get in the gates, the surrounding area around Tokyo Disney Resort makes the motels and coffee shops of Anaheim look like the Palace at Versailles by comparison.

The "Hotel Dream Gate" directly opposite the main entrance of Tokyo Disney Resort. That's a Tokyo Metro station on its roof. Because Japan.
img_0088s_mini1.jpg

Back to DLR signage, I just have to mention Burger Invasion, Hosted by McDonalds. Gawd, DCA 1.0 was ugly!

burgerinvasion_burgerbuilding2008cb.jpg

Californian Elitist

That's a very valid point. I hadn't thought of it like that. It's not pretty on Harbor Blvd. But for those who have been to Tokyo Disneyland, as fabulous as that place is once you get in the gates, the surrounding area around Tokyo Disney Resort makes the motels and coffee shops of Anaheim look like the Palace at Versailles by comparison.

The "Hotel Dream Gate" directly opposite the main entrance of Tokyo Disney Resort. That's a Tokyo Metro station on its roof. Because Japan.
img_0088s_mini1.jpg

Back to DLR signage, I just have to mention Burger Invasion, Hosted by McDonalds. Gawd, DCA 1.0 was ugly!

burgerinvasion_burgerbuilding2008cb.jpg

I remember getting Big Macs there at Burger Invasion. So glad it's gone.

DCA 1.0 was just so bad. Vomit-inducing, really.

Phroobar

Looks like it was designed by the same Imagineers who designed Haunted Mansion Holiday. Loud, tacky and tasteless. Including the burgers.
The Imagineers didn't design HMH. It was all in house by the entertainment department. It was the same people that did the Snow White and Aladdin shows. The Imagineers were mad that something successful was built outside their department.

GiveMeTheMusic

The Imagineers didn't design HMH. It was all in house by the entertainment department. It was the same people that did the Snow White and Aladdin shows. The Imagineers were mad that something successful was built outside their department.

Haunted Mansion Holiday and it's a small world Holiday were both designed by Steve Davison and the DL entertainment team. Steve went on to head up night spectaculars and parades worldwide - Eureka, World of Color, Remember, Magical, Paint the Night, Festival of Fantasy, Fantasmic at TDS, Wishes, Disneyland Forever, Fantasmic 2.0 are just a few of his bigger projects since. Not quite the same team that did Aladdin & Snow White, as those came out of WDI's Creative Entertainment division under Anne Hamburger (also responsible for Finding Nemo at DAK, Toy Story on DCL).

This is stream of consciousness but bear with me - Alan Menken wrote songs for The Snow Queen at Disney Animation. When they abandoned the project, Hamburger and her team worked with Menken to develop it as an original stage musical for TDS' Hyperion-esque theatre. That project obviously never panned out, and animation took it up again with the Lopezes as composers and a new title - Frozen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom