Your insights into 'Spirit of Aloha' Dinner Show

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Hi Everyone!

I need YOUR detailed reviews and personal insights into the 'Spirit of Aloha' Dinner Show currently running at the Poly. I have searched and read a few reviews here on this site, but most of it is either a bit vauge, or from several years ago. I would like to hear some 'current' experiences and general overall ratings.

I am seriously thinking of trying this experience/dinner option on my upcoming visit at the end of January/early February. It is a idea i had to bring a friend who will be visiting for the first time to this Dinner Show, as it will also be her Birthday. I have never done this show, or eaten at the Poly in all the multiple years of visiting WDW...so this is attractive to me since it is 'new'. I also note it is expensive, and want to get a better feel from folks here who have visited if it is worth the trouble and expense to try to book it.

So..here is what i would like insights on-

The FOOD options- what exactly IS the menu? I have tried researching but i get the impression it must change or fluxuate depending on supplies/costs. I would like to know if they have any Vegetartian options. All i ever read about is meat dishes. I have heard some talk of the potatoes and steamed veggies...but are their any other options? I am not sure if i am wanting to pay $60 for this. I am aware of WDW's Veg Meal requests, but i am curious as to what is availible on the offerings normally.

The SEATING option - I have looked over the map online via the Official Site. I am fairly sure i will book the 'cheap seats' and thus you get what you pay for. I am interested in hearing from anyone here who HAS been seated in the #3 sections....is the view all that terrible?

The overall VALUE for MONEY option - Yeah i know...i am probably opening a can o' worms here...but i felt a need to add it to the list. Always interested in people's attitudes. For what the experience entails, would you say it is well worth doing?

And finally, the SHOW. What is it like, currently? I have read about it being broken into 3 acts, with the 3rd being the real 'meat' of the production. Again, your input is appreciated.

Also, when you book, are you immediately charged for the sitting at the time of reservation? I am assuming yes, but wanted to ask. Is this a 'ticketed' event...as in, do you recieve paperwork or do you just present yourself at the check in booth before your reservation?
Many thanks in advance for all your thoughts and suggestions!

:wave:

captainkidd

Been to this show twice. Only reason we went 2nd time was because we were staying at the Poly and felt it was "necessary."

Food - Honestly, I don't even remember it that well. Was nothing special. The bread (which they also serve at Ohana) is delicious. I believe they served some sort of chicken or pork. Like I said, nothing special.

Seating - We sat far back and up close. Honestly, made no difference to us.

Value - Eh. Most of Disney's shows or dinners are overpriced, so I can't blame any fault on this one.

Show - This is the problem. The first half of the show absolutely, positively sucks. It's a poorly acted story of a girl returning to Hawaii after spending a few years on the main land. The "actors" are incredibly annoying, as is the story itself. The 2nd half of the show, is slightly better, only because there are a couple of brief moments of actual Luau dancing and fire dancing. However, elements of the story line are still mixed in, making it quite painful.

I'm sure there are some that like it. Everybody is different. Would I go again? Nope. No way.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Thanks Captain..appreciate you honest views here.

Maybe this is why i am having difficulty finding out the important details- they are not all that memorable! Take the menu options i am curious about, most of the reviews i have been able to find are very vauge or outdated. Maybe this is because the food is as you had stated, rather 'forgetable'?

There are many more people here i hope to hear from. Your feedback folks is what is going to help me make up my mind. I have been sitting on the fence about this Dinner Show option for a couple of weeks, and really need the detailed overviews from those here who have recently experienced it.

My friend is excited about it ( it is her first trip, so of course EVERYTHING will seem exciting to her...) but i am very 'not so sure'. As this will be somewhat of the finale to her week long visit ( and her Birthday to boot) i was thinking this would be something special and worth a try. Exciting for her, something new for this longtime 'Worldphille'. Lately i have been unsure.

Again, i look forward to your imput.

captainkidd

Here is the menu:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mixed Greens with Mango Poppy Seed Dressing
Pineapple-coconut Bread
Sweet Golden Pineapple
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Barbecued Pork Ribs
Roasted Chicken
Polynesian Rice
Seasonal Vegetables
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tropical Beverages

All you can drink:
Bud and Bud Light Draft Beer
Red, White and Blush wine
Tea, Coffee, Milk, Pink Lemonade, Sprite, Coke, Diet Coke
Hot or Iced Tea and Milk
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dessert[/FONT] - [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kilauea Volcano Delight[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Available Upon Request
Na Keiki Variety Boxed Meal
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
[/FONT]​

We went this past September and had a great time. I paid out of pocket for this meal and didn't use dining credits b/c I wanted to sit up front. If you use the dining plan, it's 2 credits and can only sit 2nd or 3rd tier. I think if you sit in the back you won't get into it as much. We were right in the middle at the first three seats. The food was good. The salad was good and they had chicken and ribs (all you can eat) with rice and veggies. Although our waitress was a little flighty, service was well done. I have to say that my 9 year old daughter ate everything and she is an extremely picky eater-even the salad. The pineapple was really good, and everyone raves about it, but it's pineapple LOL. The ribs were really good, but if you are vegan then it wouldn't really matter to you. I know that you can get them to accomadate your dining needs but I think it's call ahead. The only thing that didn't impress was the dessert. They were tiny chocolate mousse like volcanos. Nothing to write home about. The table next to us offered my daughter cake and she chose that over the volcanos.

The show was a lot of fun. Our show was about a young girl leaving to start her new life with her boyfriend or hubby. There were some romantic moments and some funny moments. The dances were beautiful and the fire throwers were exciting. My husband thought it went a little long though. My daughter was enthralled the entire time. They also had some interactive moments when the kids were allowed on stage to dance. Then one for adults celebrating birthdays and anniversaries. The best part of the night was the flame throwers and they were at the end.

It is located at the Poly near the beach. The night we went, it ended in time for us to walk out while the fireworks were going off at the Magic Kingdom and you can see them from the beach. Poly was truly beautiful and the cove was extremely pretty.

Overall, it was worth the $150 I paid for it. I think it's a once in a lifetime thing. I don't think it's something I will return to every year, but nice to try it. The food was good, I would say standard Hawaiin BBQ. The location beautiful. The show a little long but fun just the same. I don't think you would be disappointed.:sohappy:
I took a ton of pics but can't figure out how to post them.:brick:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Many thanks Captain for the menu list ( the Poly Rice...does it have meat in it ..anyone?)

Many thanks to you as well Brizmom, your review brought some scope to the enviroment.

Looking forward to others' opinions/reviews! I have a couple of weeks to mull over this...so ALL imput is welcome.

:wave:

xtina72

We did it once, the food was not that special, nothing memorable, the show was OK, again nothing to me that makes me want to go back. I was annoyed that once the show starts you can no longer get any food, so it was like this big rush to eat.

We personally would never do it again.

zurgandfriend

Went to the show this past trip, the rice had steamed veggies in it if I remember correctly, broccoli and other things my DS won't eat. The chicken and ribs were good. I thought the show was drawn out and could have been shorter. DS, who is 12 years old, really liked the hula girls.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom