Your First TS - Ever

NYwdwfan

Papeete Bay Verandah - somewhere around 1976 or 1977. We went for my birthday and the lounge singers sang to me - and I actually remember it which is pretty cool :D

lebeau

I would be surprised if we ever ate at a TS restaurant when I was growing up. Not Dad's style. Heck, we probably packed sandwiches. I don't recall.

When I was in high school, he dropped me and the older of my younger siblings off at Epcot with a little spending cash. I want to say we each got a $20. Mom and Dad took the younger kids to MK while we were living high on the hog at Epcot.

I remember having lunch at Boulangerie Patisserie. My brother and I both spoke pretty decent French in high school. So we made a big deal out of ordering in French. I remember ordering a cheese and fruit plate. Jeff called the waitress "garcon". It was exactly like the scene in Pulp Fiction but Pulp Fiction was still almost a decade away from being made. I wouldn't be surprised if Tarantino was sitting a few tables over taking notes.

But you asked about TS. Later that night, we had dinner at the Rose and Crown Pub. Epcot was busy that day and we hadn't thought to make dinner reservations because really we were just kids. The Rose and Crown Pub was the first place we stopped that was taking walk-ups. I had the fish and chips and was pleased with my selection. I don't think my siblings liked theirs as much. Someone has the shepherd's pie and I don't think they cared for it because it was different from what Mom made. I think everyone was happy with dessert. I want to say I had something with apples in it.

The first TS meal of my adult life was 50's PTC. This was a total fluke. We were on our honeymoon in 2003. I had no idea what I was doing in terms of Disney planning. I hadn't planned much of anything. We had one reservation for the entire week. Fortunately for me, it was September and tourism was still in the dumps. So we didn't really need reservations or FPs for that trip. Every ride was a walk-on and every restaurant took walk-ups.

Anyway, we had gone to Animal Kingdom. We got there about 10 minutes before park close. That's how bad of a planner I was that first time. So we hopped on a bus and went to MK. We rode one ride (HM)before Mindy started complaining about being hungry. But MK was closing early and most of the restaurants had already closed for business. They were closing restaurants an hour or two before the park shut down. That's how dead it was.

The only place we could find to get a bite to eat was Casey's and she didn't want a hot dog. So we went back to the buses. The next bus that came by was for MGM. The bus driver spoke no English and could not assure us that the park was even open. But we decided to chance it and got on anyway.

MGM as it was called at the time, was even more deserted than MK. What few people were in the park were already lined up for Fantasmic! We just started walking looking for a sit-down restaurant. The 50s PTC was the first place we stumbled on. So in we went.

Mindy was a little frazzled what with the parks constantly closing around us and the bus driver being no help whatsoever. Our waitress sensed this and sat down to talk to us. She didn't have any other tables, so she sat with us for just about the entire meal. She really turned Mindy's mood around. That and the fried chicken.

Anyway, 50's has become a tradition. We eat there every trip now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom