Your Favorite Underated Disney Flick

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I'm watching it this weekend if I can talk my boys into it!
I'm biased here. My first child became OBSESSED with it between the ages of 15 months and probably 3 years old. We watched it multiple times a day on fussy days. The song "That's how you know" would be one of the only things to immediately break her out of a tantrum. I personally appreciate that Amy Adams and James Marsden throw themselves so deep into the role that it holds up to literally hundreds of viewings.
She still loves it, but it's fallen down the "love" pile under Sleeping Beauty, Spider-Man, Wreck it Ralph, and a few others. Still, when throwing the iPod on shuffle in the kids playlist, if any one of the songs comes up, she's always singing along, while mommy and daddy get all misty eyed in the front seat.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I'm biased here. My first child became OBSESSED with it between the ages of 15 months and probably 3 years old. We watched it multiple times a day on fussy days. The song "That's how you know" would be one of the only things to immediately break her out of a tantrum. I personally appreciate that Amy Adams and James Marsden throw themselves so deep into the role that it holds up to literally hundreds of viewings.
She still loves it, but it's fallen down the "love" pile under Sleeping Beauty, Spider-Man, Wreck it Ralph, and a few others. Still, when throwing the iPod on shuffle in the kids playlist, if any one of the songs comes up, she's always singing along, while mommy and daddy get all misty eyed in the front seat.
Oh how I wish my kids were still little they watch Phineas and Ferb and Wizzards for reasons I wish they weren't old enough for! LOL

jw24

HOND - Obviously.
Robin Hood - A huge favorite of mine as a kid.
The Sword in the Stone - It definitely makes me laugh a lot n o matter how many times I watch it.
Hercules
Tarzan
Newsies (Yes, I am one of the few males who enjoy the movie. I think it has a good message, great songs and interesting characters. Haven't seen the Broadway show but what I've seen, the choreography is mind-blowing.)

Uncle Remus

Song of the South. Yes Splash Mountain is themed after it but how many kids know where those characters came from?
And of course Sword and the Stone. The incorporation of Merlin is the only reason I don't mind my kids dragging me through the park to play Sorcerers Apprentice

Yert3

Song of the South. Yes Splash Mountain is themed after it but how many kids know where those characters came from?
And of course Sword and the Stone. The incorporation of Merlin is the only reason I don't mind my kids dragging me through the park to play Sorcerers Apprentice
I know! I didn't know Splash was based on a movie till I was about 15 and I had been going to WDW since I was 2 years old. I'm 19 now. It's such a shame that a great movie like that has sunk so very deep down into obscurity.

Uncle Remus

I know! I didn't know Splash was based on a movie till I was about 15 and I had been going to WDW since I was 2 years old. I'm 19 now. It's such a shame that a great movie like that has sunk so very deep down into obscurity.

It wasn't for sale in the U.S. years ago. It was deemed to be racist by some and I'm assuming Disney pulled it to avoid controversy. Thats why on the ride Uncle Remus is replaced by a frog. My grandma was able to obtain a few copies from overseas when I was younger. I was able to grow up on it like my parents did. We've since obtained other copies over the years and my kids love the movie and get to grow up on it as well. We have it on VHS and recorded it over to DVD. If you want it you have to go bootleg. It's easy to find

Yert3

It wasn't for sale in the U.S. years ago. It was deemed to be racist by some and I'm assuming Disney pulled it to avoid controversy. Thats why on the ride Uncle Remus is replaced by a frog. My grandma was able to obtain a few copies from overseas when I was younger. I was able to grow up on it like my parents did. We've since obtained other copies over the years and my kids love the movie and get to grow up on it as well. We have it on VHS and recorded it over to DVD. If you want it you have to go bootleg. It's easy to find
oh. I know all about the controversy and why Uncle Remus was replace by Br'er Frog. It's just I never found out about all of those things until about four years ago, even though I've been a Disney fan all of my life. I don't really want to buy a VHS version of the movie from the UK because it uses the PAL format and that speeds up the movie by 4% giving the sound a slight up in pitch. There's a video of SotS on YouTube but the uploader has done pitch correction and it sounds how it should.

Magenta Panther

"Robin Hood" would be on my underrated list, but it just lacked something. I think the villains were too foppish and incompetent to be a real threat to Robin. I really like the idea of the characters of Robin Hood being played by animals, but ultimately the movie (to me at least) is unsatisfying.

Kitchandro

Great shout. It's sad it's been so repressed.

I'm not really sure how the world sees the Hunchback of Notre Dame, but you certainly don't hear much about it. Compared to The Lion King for example, which was from the same era, but is lauded constantly. The Hunchback is definitely one of my favourites, and dare I say it, the songs are far more memorable than the overrated stuff in The Lion King. Not that I didn't like The Lion King, it's still great, but not the best IMO.

The Emperors New Groove is a funny one, it was at the back end of Disney's Golden era so I don't think that many people have seen it. The majority that have seen it love it from what I can tell though. It's not your classic Disney-style film, it's when Disney was evolving and the humour is different. So that might be another reason why it's 'underrated'. I think it's one of the best.

I always thought Hercules was really popular. Is it not? Saw that Nostalgia Critic geezer slating it on Youtube and i wasn't having that. The Bumder.

I remember really liking the Sword and the Stone when I was younger. Haven't seen it in years though.

Robin Hood I liked better when I was younger. I watched it recently and while it's still good, you can see why it's not considered one of the best.

I'll add The Aristocats in there. Doesn't get a huge amount of mentions but it's got some great characters. That Thomas O'Malley is one groovy cat.

And Everybody wants to be a cat is an all-time classic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom