Your favorite moderate resort?

TigerBravo1977

What is your favorite moderate resort and why? We are going down in June with our 2 young ones (3 year old girl and 9 month old boy.) We are booking in the next day or so and have pretty much decided on Caribbean Beach but I'd love to hear your thoughts before we decide. We have never stayed at any of the moderates. We have stayed at Pop (not bad), AK Lodge (OK), and A.S. Music (ughh). We will be driving, so Disney transport is not a factor.

Master Gracey 5

I've only stayed at Caribbean Beach and I thought it was a nice resort. The kids will love the pool with the water slide in the fort. The Caribbean theme is fun and they even have the pirate theme in some rooms. Its also nice to be centrally located with a short ride to DHS and Epcot.

The only downside is that its so big and spread out (much like Old Key West). This means you tend to wait for buses a bit and you might have to walk a bit to get to Old Port Royale and the food court (they do have a resort only bus that does a loop). Overall I'd stay there again in the future.

My mom had stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter a few months before I went and felt it was nice, but probably less enjoyable for younger kids.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

jeffk410

I have stayed at every moderate. I differ in rankings then some on this site. I dislike POFQ. I like PORS and CSR I think my rankings would be

1. Coronado Springs
2. Port Orleans riverside.
3. Carribean beach... very close with PORS.
4. POFQ.

My vote is CSR.. I feel its much more upscale than all the others. But have fun tell us what you decide on!
I do like your pick of CBR tho.. It is a really fun resort and I guess I would have to say it is my 2nd favorite. Just so close between PORS and CBR. Just know CBR is massive.. Its actually bigger acre wise than all of disneys hollywood studios. So if you go try to request somewhere near the food court =].

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Pors

As far as moderates are concerned we've always stayed at POFQ...until last year.
We stayed at PORS...I have to say it was AMAZING.
Better grounds, much cleaner, one of the nicer and more fun pools I've seen.

I know it's huge but if you get the right building in AB I think we had 26 it was close to the restaraunt, the main pool and the quiet pool. It was great.

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

Benn to all mods, and by far it was CB. POFQ was quaint and small, but so were the beds. They are the smallest of any resort, they are fulls, and yet no one ever tells you that, here or anywhere. That is what turned us off. CB has great beds, layout ( if you know what building to request), and pool and amenities. Busing is what it is if needed. With the kids ages, this would be the perfect place, great for young ones with the baby pool and additional play areas, and great for adults to enjoy a drink at the pool. Request a king bed for $100, and you will have more than enough room for pack n plays or cribs. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Without a doubt Caribbean Beach!! The bright colors, awesome subtle pirate theme, and the helpfulness of the cast are all top notch for moderates. It's a beautiful moderate and is over the top tropical!

Request Aruba or Jamaica nearest the footbridge when booking your room!! And spend the extra for a Lake View room!!!!

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

i agree with jamaica or aruba, far enough away, but just a beautiful walk away from the main hub. And remember, they all have private pools, and close bus transpotation. It only matters if you have to have the food court right next toyou. and with kids that young, food court is not even in the picture. You can make your own coffee, and a $13 taxi ride can get you milk, cereal, bread, water, and all the things you need for a week. all rooms have a refridgerator. this is where you can save money

Upvote 0

Travelguy31

Hands Down, CSR!! Stayed there Dec 2009. It was the only moderate that I had not stayed in and it is by far my favorite. Great newly renovated rooms, queen beds and very nice landscaping and nice location

Upvote 0

lovepooh

I have been to both CBR and POFQ -

Both are nice places- but CBR is very large and the bus rides usually take 10-15 mins just to leave the resort with the amount of stops they have. It just seems to take a long time to get anywhere on the resort.

We stayed at the FQ in December. The great thing about that place well there are many great things. No matter where you stay on site your close to everything. I really enjoyed the fact that there was only 1 bus stop and most of the time you don't share the bus with the sister property PORS. So its like stop and your off to your location. Another nice thing is
that there is boat service to downtown disney. I know my young boys really enjoyed that. The beds in the FQ are the same size as CBR so thats not an issue. The only moderate that has bigger beds is CS. They have queens. Which I considered in making my reservations for April. However loved FQ so much that we are headed back.

But to be honest you should be happy at any of the Moderates, its Disney!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

TurkA77

This is a reply I wrote to someone else's post about CB on another site. Its the only moderate I have ever stayed at. Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents:

I just stayed there in December myself, from the 16th-23rd. I definitely agree with most of the stuff you said, but I wouldn’t stay there again if I had the choice. I was planning on staying at the All Stars or Pop century which have gotten the job done for me in the past, but the special they were running only made it about $100+ to stay there instead.

The Pros for me were: The food. My girlfriend and I only ate there a few times, but when we did, we were happy. They had a ton of options for breakfast and lunch and the prices were very reasonable. A couple times we just grabbed a bagel and jumped on the bus, that was enough to hold us over til lunch.

The bedrooms were good size. Obviously bigger than the All Stars, it was very comfortable for the two of us. If there were four of us it would start to get tight, but I don’t think uncomfortably so. I also like how all the buildings were painted a different pastel color. It made everything so bright and cheery.

The pool situation is great. Every building area has their own pool. I believe there are six areas, so six smaller pools. This was nice if you were a little far away from the main pool and didn’t want to walk. The main pool was well decorated in true Disney fashion. It also had two hot tubs in the area, which we used a couple times after long days in the park.

The Cons for me were: The buses. Plan on doing a lot of waiting. I am use to waiting for the buses, but this got out of hand. First of all this is the biggest resort, so even when the bus pulls it in, it takes around 20 min just to make all the stops in your resort, then the 20+ min drive to wherever you are going. Thats just too much time wasted. COmpared to the All-Stars where they pick you up in one spot and go. An example is we had tickets to La Nouba one night. We figured hour at the most, so we went to the bus at 6:30 pm for a 8pm show. Bus for Downtown Disney didn’t show up for 30 minutes, then it has to do the entire hotel. Then it made the 20 minute drive to Downtown DIsney. Next thing I know my girlfriend and I are in full sprint trying to make it to the show. Thats unacceptable.

The main building is really far away for half of the resort. If you were like me and stayed in Jamaica or the buildings next to it, you were doing some walking. If you wanted to go to the Pool or get some food, it was at least a 15 minute walk there and 15 minutes back. It wouldn’t be so bad, because you can just jump on a bus right there, but if you are like me and purchased a drink mug, you had to walk all the way back to your room to drop it off. This was a huge pain and another waste of time.

I wanted to like this resort, I really did. With all the bright colors and pirate ship motifs it looks amazing. But for practicality reasons, I can’t recommend it. The cons outweigh the pros for me. I’d give it a 70 out of 100.

This resort is perfect for people that are going down for 7 days, but only spending 2 or 3 at the parks. You have plenty of outside space to enjoy, you don’t mind waiting for buses. You can take your time walking around and eating at the resort. If you are like me and plan on spending 5 or 6 days at the parks, you can find a resort that will save you more time.

Upvote 0

Hot4Hudgens

I really liked Port Orleans Riverside when I stayed there in '06. The last moderate resort I stayed at was Caribbean Beach, which was nice but it was FREEZING the entire week that I was there. Didn't really get to enjoy it in full.

Upvote 0

nepalostparks

I've stayed at both POR and POFQ. They are both great resorts in my opinion, but I like POFQ a little more, because of it's great architecture and landscaping, and smaller size overall making it quick and easy to get from any room to the bus stop or food court.

Upvote 0

rpk4444

I have stayed at all four Moderates and Caribbean Beach is my favorite but, considering the ages of your children I would consider Port Orleans French Quarter because of it's smaller size. PORFQ is my second favorite and I took my kids there when they were smaller. Just food for thought.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom